Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2021 11:29:03 AM EDT
CT resident shooting in a RI match with a question for you folks...

If I have an AR-15 type pistol with a 12.5" barrel, pistol brace and a vertical foregrip, it's called an other and is ok to have in Connecticut.  What would that configuration be considered in Rhode Island and would it be ok per your laws?

Thanks for the help!  I hate that I have to ask, but things are what they are.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Take of f the vertical grip when you get into RI to be compliant.

However the likelihood of anyone giving you crap is slim to none.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sgwlower:
Take of f the vertical grip when you get into RI to be compliant.

However the likelihood of anyone giving you crap is slim to none.
View Quote

Wouldn't the V-grip on a pistol make it an AOW requiring NFA registration anywhere in the US?

If you think this is confusing go read the brace/accessory regs the ATF want to implement.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JRCmx:

Wouldn't the V-grip on a pistol make it an AOW requiring NFA registration anywhere in the US?

If you think this is confusing go read the brace/accessory regs the ATF want to implement.
View Quote

I'm not sure I could point to the exact reasons why, but here in CT it's been deemed GTG as an "other" when the VFG is on an AR config with a pistol brace and barrel longer than 12".
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JRCmx:

View Quote

It would---but not in CT---which is why it needs to come off in RI---you could put a AFG, or a Handstop on it for RI.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:26:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dakrevla] [#5]
As long as the weapons overall length is over 26”, from end of muzzle to end of buffer tube, it is an “Other Firearm “ in Rhode Island and is legal. As an Other Firearm it is legal to have a vertical grip on it. Measurements must be from end of barrel, or permanently attached muzzle device, to end of buffer tube, not the end of the brace.  If the brace is replaced with a Stock it would be an illegal SBR. If overall length is less than 26” you cannot legally have a forward vertical grip because it would be a NFA “All Other Weapon”.  Hope this helps.
T
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top