Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2019 9:44:11 PM EDT
Question about what I need to buy a rifle....

I’m military and just moved here. I have a Colorado license and am leasing a house here in RI. What do I need to show a FFL in order to purchase?

Thanks and if this has been answered, I apologize, I didn’t find it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
For a long gun, just your driver's license, your out of state is fine.

While you are there, ask to take the blue card test. Its a multiple choice common knowledge test. When you ace it, the FFL will send it in to the state, and about a week later you will receive your Rhode island blue card, which allows you to buy a handgun in RI.

7 day waiting period on all guns, unless you have a town issued carry permit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome thanks. Do I need to bring my orders?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope. You will be fine. I bought a rifle within 2 weeks of moving here with my old Delaware drivers license.

Also corrected some typos above to make better sense. Welcome to RI, Thanks for your service Sailor!
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope. You will be fine. I bought a rifle within 2 weeks of moving here with my old Delaware drivers license.

Also corrected some typos above to make better sense. Welcome to RI, Thanks for your service Sailor!
View Quote
Thanks for the gouge.

And even though we are from CA, we bring three reliable conservative votes!
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:42:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I will double check with my manager but you do need to show your orders that you are stationed in state.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will double check with my manager but you do need to show your orders that you are stationed in state.
View Quote
Wow--after review of the law, I believe you are right that you may need to show orders.

a) No person shall deliver a rifle or shotgun to a purchaser until seven (7) days shall have elapsed from twelve o’clock (12:00) noon of the day following the day of application for the purchase, and when delivered, the rifle or shotgun shall be unloaded and securely wrapped, with the bill of sale for it to be enclosed within the wrapper with the rifle or shotgun. Any citizen of the United States and/or lawful resident of this state who is eighteen (18) years of age or older, and any non-resident member of the armed forces of the United States who is stationed in this state and who is eighteen (18) years of age or older, may, upon application, purchase or acquire a rifle or shotgun. At the time of applying for the purchase of a shotgun or rifle the purchaser shall complete and sign in triplicate and deliver to the seller the application form described in this section, and in no case shall it contain the serial number of the rifle or shotgun.

I would say the gun dealer I initially dealt with in this state screwed up with me, he's out of business now so Its not like I can go yell at him!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top