Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2020 12:29:32 PM EDT
I’ve done some searches but a lot of the information I found was dated so I thought it would be worth it to just ask the question again. I am NOT a California resident but will be flying into San Jose to visit some family for a week prior to flying on to Texas. I’m wondering if there is any issue with me flying with a Gen 5 Glock 34 which is not on the “approved” list if I were to leave the magazines behind and pick some up in Texas when I get there?  Obviously the pistol would be carried in the locked case I flew with.  I’m trying to avoid having to ship my pistol to an FFL in TX. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I will be in California later this year for a business trip.  Is it legal for me to fly to San Diego with a 1911 that is not on the list and keep it in the rental car in a locked case and with no magazine inserted?  Can I also carry it into the hotel room legally?

I will be driving up the coast a bit too, so not only staying in San Diego.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will be in California later this year for a business trip.  Is it legal for me to fly to San Diego with a 1911 that is not on the list and keep it in the rental car in a locked case and with no magazine inserted?  Can I also carry it into the hotel room legally?

I will be driving up the coast a bit too, so not only staying in San Diego.
View Quote
Roster only relates to sales by an FFL and importation by a resident.  To be sold or imported, a handgun has to be on the roster, unless the transfer involved meets certain criteria (such as intrafamilial interstate transfer, sale to a LEO, etc.).  It has absolutely nothing to do with legality of possession or use.  There are no legal consequences for you bringing in such a pistol.

Stored that way is just fine.  Can be in the passenger compartment with you in your vehicle if you want.  Magazines can be loaded so long as you continue not to insert them into the gun (unloaded mag in the gun is fine).

Hotel room is treated the same as your residence.  You can unlock it, load it, carry it open or concealed, etc. in your hotel room.

Laws do not vary by region.

We have no duty to inform in CA, but we do have a 4th Amendment "exception" if the officer believes you have a gun and you do not have a CA CCW permit.  He can search to find said guns and inspect them to ensure they are unloaded and being stored/transported as required by law (and he may run the serials or do other nonsense).  Do not volunteer to a LEO that you have a gun, even if he asks.  Don't have evidence that you have a gun anywhere he can see it.  Be as low-key as possible.  While nothing bad may come a LEO thinking or knowing you have a gun, definitely nothing good will come of it.  Best to keep them in the dark.

There are restrictions on handgun transportation locked and unloaded when not in a motor vehicle.  Basically, you have to be traveling to and from certain authorized locations (like residence/hotel room, shooting range, gun dealer or smith, public land where shooting is legal, other private property where you can bring the gun, etc.).  Can't just carry it around everywhere you want in that condition, in case you intended on doing so.  Such requirements do not apply at all when being transported/possessed in a motor vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Roster only relates to sales by an FFL and importation by a resident.  To be sold or imported, a handgun has to be on the roster, unless the transfer involved meets certain criteria (such as intrafamilial interstate transfer, sale to a LEO, etc.).  It has absolutely nothing to do with legality of possession or use.  There are no legal consequences for you bringing in such a pistol.

Stored that way is just fine.  Can be in the passenger compartment with you in your vehicle if you want.  Magazines can be loaded so long as you continue not to insert them into the gun (unloaded mag in the gun is fine).

Hotel room is treated the same as your residence.  You can unlock it, load it, carry it open or concealed, etc. in your hotel room.

Laws do not vary by region.

We have no duty to inform in CA, but we do have a 4th Amendment "exception" if the officer believes you have a gun and you do not have a CA CCW permit.  He can search to find said guns and inspect them to ensure they are unloaded and being stored/transported as required by law (and he may run the serials or do other nonsense).  Do not volunteer to a LEO that you have a gun, even if he asks.  Don't have evidence that you have a gun anywhere he can see it.  Be as low-key as possible.  While nothing bad may come a LEO thinking or knowing you have a gun, definitely nothing good will come of it.  Best to keep them in the dark.

There are restrictions on handgun transportation locked and unloaded when not in a motor vehicle.  Basically, you have to be traveling to and from certain authorized locations (like residence/hotel room, shooting range, gun dealer or smith, public land where shooting is legal, other private property where you can bring the gun, etc.).  Can't just carry it around everywhere you want in that condition, in case you intended on doing so.  Such requirements do not apply at all when being transported/possessed in a motor vehicle.
View Quote
Thank you so much for that information!  All of a sudden, travel to California doesn't seem so bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top