Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2023 9:31:29 AM EDT
Planning on a road trip.  I may need to pass through CA and will have my CCW along with me.  I am aware that I don't have CCW rights in CA and will need to have the handgun unloaded, encased, ammunition separate, and locked in the trunk.

Someone told me that the approved handgun roster only matters for selling in CA.  Another person said that it matters for possession in CA.  My intended pistol will be a G26 9mm with 10 round mags and a normal non-threaded barrel.  But it's a Gen 5 and the roster says Gens 4 and 5 aren't approved.

Am I okay temporarily bringing my Gen 5 G26 with 10 round mags and no scary threaded barrel into CA?  I do not intend on selling the pistol.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You’re fine.

The roster applies to new sales.  It doesn’t apply to possession.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You’re fine.

The roster applies to new sales.  It doesn’t apply to possession.
View Quote

Thank you!

My other option was a S&W 629.  It’s easier concealing a G26.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Do not have to keep ammo separate. Just keep the firearm unloaded if you want to comply. (no loaded mag inserted). You can have your loaded mag in the same locked container as the firearm.

Does not have to be locked in the trunk (many vehicles don't even have a trunk). Has to be in a locked container and the glove box or console doesn't count for the locked container. Locked container can be located anywhere in the vehicle.

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do not have to keep ammo separate. Just keep the firearm unloaded if you want to comply. (no loaded mag inserted). You can have your loaded mag in the same locked container as the firearm.

Does not have to be locked in the trunk (many vehicles don't even have a trunk). Has to be in a locked container and the glove box or console doesn't count for the locked container. Locked container can be located anywhere in the vehicle.

View Quote

Thank you also!

While "complying" makes me bristle, I'm headed to CA to pick up an approved NFA transfer.  (CA seller to my C&R.)  I don't need to create headaches for myself if I get pulled over before crossing the state line.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#5]
If NFA = full auto,...

Remember, more than 10 rounds of linked ammo in a belt represents a violation of the "high capacity magazine" ban.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 1:10:14 AM EDT
[#6]
If you’re driving in you will most likely pass through a fruit inspection station (whatever they call them).  Don’t panic.  They just wave you through most of the time. If they do stop you, they ask about fruit and maybe plants.  I always make sure nothing is in plain view to be safe.  That’s in bound only, not exiting the state.

It takes a lot of things to happen to even get to a point where law enforcement would be in a position to find an item, legal or otherwise.  You will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
^^^
They’ve asked me if I had any firearms in the car before. I was a bit hungover and it caught me off guard so I said no, although I did. They just waved me on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
^^^
They’ve asked me if I had any firearms in the car before. I was a bit hungover and it caught me off guard so I said no, although I did. They just waved me on.
View Quote

California has no duty to inform laws, thankfully.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
^^^
View Quote

You sure it wasn't "fireworks" instead of firearms?

Last time I came through on I-40 just a couple weeks ago they asked if I had any fruits, vegetables, meat, plants, or fireworks.  That's a new one for me.  He said it so fast I thought he said firearms and had to ask him to say it again and definitely said fireworks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:47:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Last time I drove that way, I was in a U-Haul.  They asked to see inside the rear of the truck.  When I rolled up the door, a huge double rifle case was sitting right in front of everything.  LOL!

He looked inside and said I was good to go.  He did not ask about the firearms case.

I do believe they are only looking for produce.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#11]
You will be traveling, not driving, so it's not an issue.  You don't even need a driver's license or insurance.

(Just kidding, the gun as configured is fine but don't bring mags that hold more than 10 rounds.)

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You sure it wasn't "fireworks" instead of firearms?

Last time I came through on I-40 just a couple weeks ago they asked if I had any fruits, vegetables, meat, plants, or fireworks.  That's a new one for me.  He said it so fast I thought he said firearms and had to ask him to say it again and definitely said fireworks.
View Quote

Yeah, I was returning from a Nevada and it was close to winter. This was maybe 10 or so years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top