Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2020 10:09:39 AM EDT
Question for all of you:

I live in Western NY, and my wife is from Ohio.  Getting a pistol license in NY is a huge pain in the butt. Can I purchase a pistol in Ohio (on 4473 with NICS check) and leave it in a gun safe at my in-laws house in Ohio.  And legally transport it to the range or gun club to shoot when I am visiting?  We spend a lot of time in Ohio.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't be done that way.

There's nothing wrong with you purchasing a pistol for one of your resident in laws, having them do the paperwork and keeping it at their residence. I'm sure they will let you shoot it anytime you like when you visit.

ETA. Post 666......
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
This isn't really even an OH state law situation, what's in play here is federal law and how the ATF defines your state of residency.  If you were to qualify as a resident of OH, you could buy a handgun here same as any other OH resident.

Here is the ATF's guidance about residency:  https://www.atf.gov/file/55496/download
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, have to be an Ohio resident.
Now if an inlaw happened to have a spare that they purchased, you could use it while you are here . . .
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Address on your ID has to match your current residence. You can buy something in a different state but it would have to be shipped to an FFL in your home state, which is where the transfer would actually take place.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#7]
My biggest problem with NY is that just to own a pistol requires being finger printed, which I am opposed to.  I undergo background checks for my job, and I have no criminal record, but I refuse to be treated like a criminal just to exercise my constitutional rights. And even in Western NY it is nearly impossible to get a concealed carry license.

I will have to ask my local dealer if I can purchase one in NY but instead of taking possession locally have it shipped to an FFL in Ohio.

I would like to participate in some of the pistol sports but it is very impractical to do so in NY.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#9]
We’ve talked about moving to Ohio in the past, maybe it’s time to start looking for property.  The in-laws are now in Morrow county, but my wife considers Wayne county as “home”.

Thanks again.  As usual, everyone I’ve met in Ohio are awesome and really helpful.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I got into pistols back in mid 1988 when I got my Permit (Erie Co),, spent 7yr in E Amherst..

Everything I owned up there came to Ohio when I moved back to Ohio in Dec 1992

You have NY Pistol Permit,, buy your stuff there, toss it in trunk when you come to Ohio,, and take it back to NY all you want,
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:46:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Is your wife from Wooster? If you do decide to move to Wayne county consider moving into the hillsdale school district. They are in the process of building a new k-12 school complex courtesy of all of the revenues from the ng pipeline, not tax levies. Plus it only minutes away from fin feather fur outfitters in Ashland.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is your wife from Wooster? If you do decide to move to Wayne county consider moving into the hillsdale school district. They are in the process of building a new k-12 school complex courtesy of all of the revenues from the ng pipeline, not tax levies. Plus it only minutes away from fin feather fur outfitters in Ashland.
View Quote
I’m not sure, most of her extended family is from the Wooster area.  They moved around a lot, she has lived in Wooster, Dalton, Kidron, Rittman, and Orrville at various points in her life. Thanks for the tip about the school district.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can't be done that way.

There's nothing wrong with you purchasing a pistol for one of your resident in laws, having them do the paperwork and keeping it at their residence. I'm sure they will let you shoot it anytime you like when you visit.

ETA. Post 666......
View Quote
Careful. This would be a straw purchase.

You can buy a gun for yourself with your money under your name.
You can buy a gun to use as a gift with your money under your name.
Someone can buy their own gun with their money and let you borrow it.
But if someone, anyone, uses your money and their name to fill out a 4473, it is a straw purchase.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

But if someone, anyone, uses your money and their name to fill out a 4473, it is a straw purchase.
View Quote
No it's not.

You can give anyone the funds to buy a gun for themselves.

What you can't do is give them the funds to buy a gun for YOU - that is a straw purchase.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No it's not.

What you can't do is give them the funds to buy a gun for YOU - that is a straw purchase.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it's not.

"Hey, I really think this is a nice gun. Would you buy one for yourself *wink wink* if I gave you the money? And let me shoot and carry it any time I want? And keep it at your house and do the paperwork for me since I live in another state?"

Thats a straw purchase.

"Here is a check for your birthday. Do what you want to with it."

"Here is a gift card for Bobs Gun Store. Happy Thursday!"

"Hey I need a gun, can I borrow some money and pay you back?"

"I'm poor and need a gun for self defense." - "I got you bro, here's some money, and I think this gun is really nice."

None of those are a straw purchase.

The difference is openly talking about circumventing the 4473 proves intent.

We have case law about a cop who wanted to get his relative a Glock at blue label prices. The relative writes him a check. The cop then buys the blue label gun, transfers it to himself on a 4473. Then the cop immediately ships it to the relative in another state, who also fills out a 4473. The cop, by filling out the first 4473, committed a straw purchase and went to prison because he falsified question 11a. He received money from someone else with the intent of ultimately transferring it to that person. Now he's a felon.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
No one is doing that. The relative is buying the gun. The relative owns the gun. The relative lets him use it when he visits.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We have case law about a cop who wanted to get his relative a Glock at blue label prices. The relative writes him a check. The cop then buys the blue label gun, transfers it to himself on a 4473. Then the cop immediately ships it to the relative in another state, who also fills out a 4473. The cop, by filling out the first 4473, committed a straw purchase and went to prison because he falsified question 11a. He received money from someone else with the intent of ultimately transferring it to that person. Now he's a felon.
View Quote
That's the exact point of the post you quoted.

It is legal to give someone the funds for a firearm.

If the OP's family member is willing to own (fill out the paperwork and store it in the state), then it's perfectly legal for the OP to provide the funds to do so.

The family member owns and keeps the firearm, there is no transfer to the OP.

No one is openly talking about circumventing the 4473, we are openly discussing legal options for the OP given the original issues with purchases in the home state.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Intent, it’s a tricky word.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If the OP's family member is willing to own (fill out the paperwork and store it in the state), then it's perfectly legal for the OP to provide the funds to do so.

No one is openly talking about circumventing the 4473, we are openly discussing legal options for the OP given the original issues with purchases in the home state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The post I quoted says "purchasing a gun for" exact quote.

"Purchasing a gun for" is not the same as "giving someone money."

The ATF recommends just buying a gift card for the recipient of the gift, per the NSSF. This suggestion saves a whole bunch of further conversation, and possibly a visit by the ATF when some hipster tard at the gun store rats you out. You want to gamble on the legalities? Not my problem.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 10:58:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The ATF recommends just buying a gift card for the recipient of the gift, per the NSSF. This suggestion saves a whole bunch of further conversation, and possibly a visit by the ATF when some hipster tard at the gun store rats you out. You want to gamble on the legalities? Not my problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If there is paperwork involved, it is not possible for him to "purchase a gun for" since he's from out of state, so it has to be interpreted as "giving someone money"
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is when right after it explicitly says "having them do the paperwork"

That clearly shows that "purchasing" equals supplying the funds, since completing the paperwork and possession would be with the family member
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Your money, my money is all logistics. Can I go to an out of state range and rent a pistol? He's just paying all of the rental fees up front. Nothing wrong with it as long as both are legal possesers.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#24]
There is a lot going on here. Clarify please.

Op lives in ny and wants to buy a gun in Ohio and leave it in Ohio.  Can’t do that.

Op lives in ny and wants to have a gun in Ohio. So he buys it in ny and leaves it in Ohio. Is this ok?  Or does he have to take it back with him when he returns to ny?

Op uses relatives gun when in Ohio with reciprocity of a ccw ny to Ohio. He doesn’t own the gun.  Is this ok?
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top