Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2019 12:19:45 AM EDT
So, it’s hard to find houses with decent plots of land in the “country” here, at least on Zillow and Trulia.  It’s also hard to find plots of land bigger than 5 acres too.  Am I doing something  wrong in searching listings, or are people just not selling a lot of land in these areas?  Owned by government?

Just seems to be really dry as opposed to just over the border, especially Gates Co.

This is a 10+ acre search:

Attachment Attached File

Eta wider pic, looking in circles area.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I live in Pasquotank County which is contiguous with Gates and Currituck. Of the 3 counties you mention, whatever you do, buy in Gates County. It's still very rural and nowhere as developed as Camden and Currituck.  They are building big subdivision developments right and left in those counties. Camden and Currituck are becoming the NC extension of Chesapeake. Not so much in Gates. It's close enough to Suffolk, VA that you still have relatively convenient access to all the big box stores, etc. while being very rural. It also is going to give you the best price of the 3 counties you are looking in.

I am thinking the reason you aren't seeing larger land parcels in Camden and Currituck is the fact that they are developing so fast. The builders are buying large parcels of farm land and subdividing into 5 acre and less lots. If you are looking for country living where you can have your own range in your back yard or keep livestock, you are seriously going to want to be in Gates. My wife and I have talked about selling our land here and moving, but have to much invested and are getting too old to make a bold move like that.

I would contact a local realtor in either Elizabeth City (Pasquotank County) or Ahoskie. The latter is actually in Hertford County, but will have the bulk of listings in Gates.  Realtors can be seriously helpful in that they know the area and will know about properties that may not be listed on the web.

Here's an example of a listing page of properties in Gates County. I set up the "filters" on the web page to only show properties 10 acres or more and this was the result in Gates County.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Gates-County_NC/type-single-family-home,farms-ranches,land/lot-sqft-435600
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking at your edited map/screen shot, your southern boundary either includes my place or is pretty darn close to it. We have 11 acres.

FYI, open farm land in Pasquotank County goes for about $4300/acre. There are still larger parcels in the north end of Pasquotank as well. I was negotiating to buy
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 3:49:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looking at your edited map/screen shot, your southern boundary either includes my place or is pretty darn close to it. We have 11 acres.

FYI, open farm land in Pasquotank County goes for about $4300/acre. There are still larger parcels in the north end of Pasquotank as well. I was negotiating to buy
View Quote
Thanks for the help, definitely gonna require some planning.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the help, definitely gonna require some planning.
View Quote
If you move out this way stay in touch. The more like minded folks in the area the better. There are quite a few, but we can always use more.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve been casually looking in Currituck for 2 years now and can’t find shit.

I went from looking for 5-10 acres in the mid part of the county (between the RR tracks just south of Moyock and Grandy) to a stick build house on at least an acre Also in the mid-part of the county. It’s just not in my price range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top