Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2022 4:20:38 PM EDT
Are LTCs forbidden to carry on Federal property? Post Office, Military base, lakes owned by the CoE?

Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
State carry licenses are not valid on most Federal property, such as Post Offices (including the parking lot), military bases, etc.

National Park Service and National Wildlife Refuge System areas are different - there was a provision in a bill that King Barry signed that snuck in gun carry in a NP is the same as the laws in that state - so you can Constional Carry in Big Bend NP - but not in the building and such, only outdoors.

For COE areas - you can carry there:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150501/passage-of-hr-2028-includes-right-to-carry-on-army-corps-land-provision

On May 12, 2009, legislation was passed that greatly reduced restrictions on the possession of firearms for self-defense on National Park Service and National Wildlife Refuge System lands. Under this legislation, rules governing carry on those federal lands incorporate the laws of the state in which the lands are located. This greatly expanded the places where law-abiding Americans can legally carry firearms for self-defense. However, that change in the law did not include millions of acres of recreational land managed by the Corps. The Corps owns or manages over 11.7 million acres, including 400 lakes and river projects, 90,000 campsites and 4,000 miles of trails. H.R. 2028 would reverse the Corps' policy and restore the right of law-abiding Americans to possess firearms for self-defense on Corps lands.

Again, I doubt if you can carry in any building on COE land.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:51:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
State carry licenses are not valid on most Federal property, such as Post Offices (including the parking lot), military bases, etc.

National Park Service and National Wildlife Refuge System areas are different - there was a provision in a bill that King Barry signed that snuck in gun carry in a NP is the same as the laws in that state - so you can Constional Carry in Big Bend NP - but not in the building and such, only outdoors.

For COE areas - you can carry there:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150501/passage-of-hr-2028-includes-right-to-carry-on-army-corps-land-provision

On May 12, 2009, legislation was passed that greatly reduced restrictions on the possession of firearms for self-defense on National Park Service and National Wildlife Refuge System lands. Under this legislation, rules governing carry on those federal lands incorporate the laws of the state in which the lands are located. This greatly expanded the places where law-abiding Americans can legally carry firearms for self-defense. However, that change in the law did not include millions of acres of recreational land managed by the Corps. The Corps owns or manages over 11.7 million acres, including 400 lakes and river projects, 90,000 campsites and 4,000 miles of trails. H.R. 2028 would reverse the Corps' policy and restore the right of law-abiding Americans to possess firearms for self-defense on Corps lands.

Again, I doubt if you can carry in any building on COE land.
View Quote

Pretty sure CoE land is still off limits but would be happy to be wrong.

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmm, you're right, I read "passed the bill" but it was only in the House, and the Senate didn't.

The COE lost serval lawsuits about it, and an internet search points to a Proposed Rule from 2020 where they proposed to allow firearms.

Not sure if the Rule was implemented or not.  

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/04/corps-proposes-rule-to-remove-federal-infringements-on-second-amendment/

And here's the proposed rule, but I'm not seeing if it was adopted or not.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/COE-2018-0008-0001

OK, after proposing the rule, apartment when Depends began soiling himself in the Oval Office, the Proposed Rule was withdraw, and they kept the same police about guns - which has been struck down by various courts, but the government never lets that stop it from doing what it really wants to.

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=202104&RIN=0710-AA90
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. Disappointing but looks accurate.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#5]
1. Post office property is off limits- includes parking lots

2. National parks are not off limits with the exception of buildings.

3. CoE is off limits except for lawful hunting.

4. Military bases are up to the commanding officer.  I don't know any that allow carry.

5. Federal buildings are off limits.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:25:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

4. Military bases are up to the commanding officer.  I don't know any that allow carry.

View Quote

This. Don’t take a gun/knife/OC spray into a federal building. It can make a short day really long.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a humorous "cool story bro" about going into a federal building.  I'm a retired LEO in Abilene, TX.  When my mom passed away I had a couple of IRS questions/issues to get handled in the IRS office.  Our federal building has the main post office, federal court, FBI, Marshall's office, and several other .gov's in the multistory building.  

The bottom floor main post office has the firearm warning signs but no metal detectors or such.  You run into armed security with the Marshall's office and a metal detector at the second floor to enter all other .gov services.  The IRS has its own metal detector at the front office door and a separate security guy posted there.  

At the first metal detector, I knew the two retired APD guys working for the Marshall's office.  Before crossing the metal detector I notified that I was fixing to set it off with my weapon, so they turned it off and waved me through.  We conversed for a few minutes about different BS, and then I headed off to the IRS office.

I did not know the guy at the IRS office with the metal detector, and when I showed him my ID and advised him of my weapon, he went ballistic.  He went on somewhat of a tirade about federal buildings and firearms and basically started to berate me and warned that he may have to take some kind of official action against me.

As a retired LEO I'm under the LEOSA guidelines and the TX penal code for retired officers.  I know some gun guys get upset about the retired LEOSA as a special privilege that they don't approved of, but it's there and I'll damn sure take advantage of it.  I didn't ask for it or demand it.

Anyway, some of the LEOSA regs and even some of the TX penal code regs about retired LEO's are a little confusing.  Yeah, ignorance of law is no excuse, but Mr. IRS security guy went all J. Edgar Hoover about me coming up to the office with a firearm.

After he popped a few blood vessels with his rant, I asked him why the Marshall's office guys allowed me to pass.  I told him that if his own security people didn't advise me of any violations, how was he going to take any action when I was allowed to pass...honestly not trying to get the first security guys in trouble, but IRS Barney looked like he was going to try to jam me up.

Anyway, after the IRS guy got his breath back, he seemed to feel somewhat satisfied with just chewing me out.  I took my pistol back to my vehicle and locked it in a tool box in the back where I sometimes store an AR.  I told the first two security guys about what happened, and they seemed a little shocked.  They said the guy used to work for U.S. Immigration.  While I waited for my appointment with the IRS lady, Mr. IRS continued to give me the stink eye...LOL!

At the time I wasn't aware of an exact infringement that I had committed or any defenses I had, but since then I've tried to better inform myself about these nuances in the law.  To be honest, some of them are still not clear IMO.

Anyway, go ahead and post the "Cool story, bro" meme...

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

My Guard base let you keep your carry gun in the car on base. Never seen an AD that does that though
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

At the time I wasn't aware of an exact infringement that I had committed or any defenses I had, but since then I've tried to better inform myself about these nuances in the law.  To be honest, some of them are still not clear IMO.

View Quote

Have you read 18 USC 930?
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Have you read 18 USC 930?
View Quote

Yes.  I have a better understanding of it now in regards to LEOSA or LTC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top