Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2022 1:26:52 PM EDT
I want to buy a 20x8 or 25x8 shipping container. But already pre made into an office with AC and heat. Plan to use as a work shop.

Anybody know where to buy a turn key one? Preferably around central TX? Or have one shipped from? Price is no object. I don’t need fancy. Just a floor, insulation, walls.

Anybody have experience with these?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
This is not quite the same, but there are a number of these prefab companies doing small offices/ADUs.  Probably $$ compared to your container, but also more useful width I think compared to 8'.  I have not done anything, just watching these specific ones since they are local to me.
https://backyardworkroom.com/

Interested in what you find and real installed costs.

Edit: Dang, prices about 2x since I first saw then 2 years ago
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#2]
@cremora.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
A prefab would be a lot better than a repurposed storage container. Considering that they're not made at all for habitation, a lot has to be done to get them tolerable to being in for an extended period of time. A lot of cleaning and stripping to remove any chemical residues from whatever else was transported during its life, a lot of insulation necessary + drainage to prevent condensate buildup, wiring ran...the costs can quickly run out and you might be better at buying a prefab or a single-wide trailer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks @mah827

Square 1 Containers

Earnie is a good guy, and does oustanding work.  He is in Channelview, so shipping might a little pricey depending on where you are located.

IM sent with personal info.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen and used some GREAT shipping container offices, deer lease cabins, and even a bunk house.  Maybe you know exactly what you are need, but for me, 8' exterior dimensions for a workshop sets off alarm bells.

8' Exterior, the steel is thin, but the corrugation and frame make the interior about 7' 6"....before you start adding insulation and interior wallboard of some kind, so with 5" to 6" on each side means you are down to 6' 6" wide.  32'  deep work bench on one wall...that gets you down to 3' 10" from the edge of the bench to the opposite wall.  If you will have a chair or stool to work from, 3' is the normal minimum clearance used between the back of a desk and the wall...and this does not allow room for someone to walk between the seated person and the wall.

You'll basically have zero room opposite the desk for any kind of storage.  Depending on what you are doing at the bench, it might be great or you might be tight maneuvering materials.

A ham radio shack, electronics workbench, reloading bench, and similar desktop hobbies will probably work fine. I would think that anything involving building materials would get pretty tight.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://backyardworkroom.com/

Edit: Dang, prices about 2x since I first saw then 2 years ago
View Quote

A friend of mine got one several weeks ago to use as her YouTube studio, I think she paid about $21k, delivered and assembled {Ascension Parish, LA).  Eric has had to double the prices due to materials and fuel costs.  While there is a "surplus" of shipping containers, I don't think the prices of them have gone down and there is also the cost + labor of fitting them out as an office.

mm
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve looked at all the links. I’m trying to find someone closer because delivery is insane.

Right now it looks like $25k-30k delivered for a container. Pre fab buildings are gonna be about the same.

I’m waiting for quotes to put up and finish interiors on a 10x25. (Existing slab) but I suspect it will be similar.

Right now I’m looking at Bobs. Conex west is a contender but delivery is gonna be $3k.

Figured conex because it will last.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A friend of mine got one several weeks ago to use as her YouTube studio, I think she paid about $21k, delivered and assembled {Ascension Parish, LA).  Eric has had to double the prices due to materials and fuel costs.  While there is a "surplus" of shipping containers, I don't think the prices of them have gone down and there is also the cost + labor of fitting them out as an office.

mm
View Quote

Like I said, there's a LOT of labor and materials involved to get these even close to habitable structures, and even then it's not as good as a prefab. They're simply not built for it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Sent you a PM on one already converted located near Taylor, TX.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for PM. I actually found a company in Taylor doing them a bit cheaper.

At this point I’d do my own if I had the tools. Doesn’t look crazy hard
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Strap it down to the ground real good. Tornado in Canton a few years back picked the one up at the shooting range and hurled it way out into the woods.
It was still fairly intact, but the insides looked like it had gone through a blender.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

NP, Hope you find what you need.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe see what Falcon would sell one for?

Otherwise I know just West of Brenham on 290 is Metro Container that has them parked along the roadside.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve looked at falcon, xcsliber, bobs, united, mobile mini, conex west.

Most are $25k or close. Just depends on options. Unfortunately most won’t contact back for final quotes lol

Still leaning bobs for closed cell foam, better wall material and mini split.

X caliber had the perfect set up, cheap, but had a window unit and I didn’t like the wall paneling and didn’t see upgrade options.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#15]
We bought a 20' container that has doors on both ends.  We bought it from Mobile Mini in Austin.  The do have modular office (containers.)

https://www.mobilemini.com/locations/tx/austin
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#16]
The mobile mini I talked to basically said they aren’t selling any due to back log demand. I can try a different branch.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a 20' single trip from Aztek a year or so ago for about $14.5k, delivered. They took my layout and did what I asked.

Restroom w/ toilet and sink. Room for a small shower down the road.
AC
Full insulation
Vinyl plank floor
1 window
I left the swing doors intact to park a 4wheeler etc if needed.

This is more of a break room on a cattle grazing operation to get out of the heat or cold, keep vet supplies, and fridge etc. But it would be fine for a field office. Pretty spartan for an everyday office. Too small for much of a shop.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks hadn’t seen them. We shall see if they quote.

Biggest problem is getting a call back for quote now.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Aztek was the highest and with least options. Yikes.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did this for a living before I retired.  

Hit me up if you decide to do it yourself.  I'll tell you what you are in for.

No one has mentioned air conditioning or electrical.  These things routinely hit 150 degrees in the summer without it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought an empty one for storage. Came Thursday. Interior is just going to be too small.

I’m gonna just build a wood structure on the existing slab.

I have a couple 8x20’s now, will probably just do the interior myself and ship them to the family property as hunting cabins.

I really wanted the ease of a container but it is just way too small.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I did this for a living before I retired.  

Hit me up if you decide to do it yourself.  I'll tell you what you are in for.

No one has mentioned air conditioning or electrical.  These things routinely hit 150 degrees in the summer without it.
View Quote

It’ll be a couple years but yea I’ll hit you up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top