Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2018 6:59:14 PM EDT
There are two things I have not witnessed since moving to Arizona, that everyone claims exists... but I never seem to see.

1. Scorpions. I have yet to see a single live (or dead for that matter) since moving to AZ 6 years ago.

2. Haboobs/Sandstorms that are so bad, that you really *DO* need to pull over for because of lost visibility. I've driven in rain storms that compromised my visibility *MUCH* worse than *ANY* haboob I've seen so far. Those aforementioned rainstorms *NEVER* have "Pull aside, stay alive" notifications or advice,... inspite the fact that water both more severely impacts visibility, but also increases stopping distance and increases the chances of accidents due to slippery surfaces. I've never witnessed a haboob where visibility was drastically reduced to less than recommended following distance.... they've never come close as far as I can remember.

I almost feel like the state takes these damn haboobs more seriously than they ought. I feel like haboobs are the most over-exaggerated weather phenomena we have in the state. I think you're way more likely to crash in the rain than in a typical dust storm. If I ever find myself in a dust storm that severely reduces my ability to see a beyond the 5 second rule... I will pull my own ass over.

Maybe I've just been lucky to either be at home whenever these storms happened, and never looked outside to see how bad it is. Maybe I'm just lucky that in my 6 years here in AZ, I've managed to avoid the 3S things Arizona has to offer (Scorpions, Snakes, and Severe Sandstorms).
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Next time one hits, take a drive down I 10 by Casa Grande, that'll change your mind real quick.

Virtual Brown out.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Next time one hits, take a drive down I 10 by Casa Grande, that'll change your mind real quick.

Virtual Brown out.
View Quote
Yep. That's a very dangerous corridor.
As for snakes, very easy to find if you know where/when to look.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
This was in Florence, the ones on I10 are even worse!...

Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/4tv2Xh5l.jpg
View Quote
LOL. I've driven in rain storms that had *WAY* worse visibility than that.

Sure, I *WOULD* slow my ass down. But I don't think I'd just pull over when I can still see a football field away.
But I'll give you that, maybe it affects the highways worse or something.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, YOU might be the competent driver.

But the seven people who follow you into your garage might not be quite so competent.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Stop by my house after dark tonight and i can show you a dozen or more live scorpions. They are on my backyard wall in Gilbert.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen 1 scorpion at my home in Mesa and it came out of a case of water from Wal-Mart.

I see rattlers all the time hiking in the Superstitions, but never anywhere else.

I've never had to pull over for a storm but I am also lucky I do not have to travel highways/freeways very often.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I was at the Toltec turn off when a Semi ran over 4+ cars killing many of the families in those cars.  The dirt was blowing so bad we had to wait at least a half hour before we could assist the DPS in getting to the cars.  One of the worst things was a young couple who were hugging each other, both had been decapitated.  Their kids in the back seat lived.  I puked all night.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 1:09:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ok, YOU might be the competent driver.

But the seven people who follow you into your garage might not be quite so competent.

Just a thought.
View Quote
This is the big thing, you may be a great driver in all conditions, but you share the road with the lowest possible common denominator.

16 year old texting, 20 year old high, 30 year old drunk, 85 year old snowbird.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Ive been in three storms that were messy.. two while driving.  
First one was south of chandler on gilbert rd where it hits the 87 on the res.  20-40ft viz due to dust.
Second is the dust storm below from like 2011.. that was the last massive one that made world news.
Third time was the one that messed up the valley a few years ago.. was driving in it in south chandler near the municipal airport.  My wife was FREAKING out.  A tree fell and hit us on cooper as we were driving north and we could not see jack.  60-80mph sideways wind and massive rain.  http://www.azfamily.com/story/29768179/storm-knocks-over-planes-at-chandler-airport

The thing about AZ storms is they are very localized.. so you might be high and dry and 3 miles away someone is having a biblical event.  You will eventually get the full monty.

It was actually darker than what you see.. this was at like 4-5pm.

Link Posted: 7/10/2018 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#11]
That storm yesterday had some power too... but again.. there were heavy cells and it was easy to be missed by them.

From SRP:
Last night's storm resulted in approximately 46 downed power poles in addition to multiple lines downed. The largest impact was on Ellsworth Rd between Southern Ave and Broadway Rd totaling in 14 poles downed in the area. We'd like to thank our customers for their patience while our crews work diligently to restore power.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Grab a black light and wander through the desert at night and you will find plenty of scorpions. Pay special attention to brush piles. Watch out for other unwelcoming critters.

[Don't do the same with the black light at your favorite no-tell motel.]

There's more vegetation as one gets further north in the Valley, as well as more topographical features to dissipate wind velocities somewhat. Therefore, the haboobs we experience up here are nothing like what one can find down south, as others have mentioned. I live just south of Anthem and we get dust storms that are far lighter than those down south simply because of the influence of the nearby New River and McDowell Mountains.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/4tv2Xh5l.jpg
View Quote
I was driving up 79 that day. One of the worst I've been in. 10 yard visibility.  And that was just being able to see taillights.  Not the whole car.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Monday night drive home visibility was down to 20 ft for a short section.  Riggs road just off I-10.

I've driven in worse fog.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Being anywhere near I10 between Phoenix and Casa Grande in a dust storm is no joke.  Its scary.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Get yourself a  cheap ultraviolet flashlight from Harbor Freight then go out at night and look at the ground around the trees and shrubs - you'll see lots of scorps.
Pic from a 2008 HTF shoot back in 2008.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:41:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I hate fekking scorps.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#18]
When I first moved here three years ago my aunt told me about biblical rain and dust storms.

Then I saw the weatherman freaking out about massive rain coming.

Turned out to be a regular rain. Nothing special. I tuned in expecting him to say it missed us but he was jumping up and down like oceans were coming from the sky.

These people just don’t know what real weather is OP.  Heat....yes. Not much else. Want heavy rain?  Try Tampa. Turns streets into rivers. Literally.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Ohh how could I forget 2010!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2010_Arizona_tornado_outbreak

Hail storm in Phoenix, AZ ~ October 5, 2010
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When I first moved here three years ago my aunt told me about biblical rain and dust storms.

Then I saw the weatherman freaking out about massive rain coming.

Turned out to be a regular rain. Nothing special. I tuned in expecting him to say it missed us but he was jumping up and down like oceans were coming from the sky.

These people just don’t know what real weather is OP.  Heat....yes. Not much else. Want heavy rain?  Try Tampa. Turns streets into rivers. Literally.
View Quote
You haven't been here long.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
True. But I doubt this place can produce rain storms that FZl can. Especially when hurricanes stroll through.

I’m hoping though!  Fingers crossed. Seeing the sun every single day gets old lol.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#22]
The last three years have sucked for monsoon... Bigly

Fl can throw down for sure.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
True. But I doubt this place can produce rain storms that FZl can. Especially when hurricanes stroll through.

I’m hoping though!  Fingers crossed. Seeing the sun every single day gets old lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit?  
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#24]
For those saying theyve seen rainstorm which were worse visibility than a dust storm, well get around I-10 and I-8 meet (Pinal county) Even Saudi and Iraq wasn't as bad.  It's the terrain down there.  Flat area with clay soil that when those micro blast hit its so bad in sections that you can't see the end of your hood.  They don't stay all day like that.  but can last off and on for an hour and you better pull over.  The rest of AZ not as bad.

One of my most surreal experience was that with lightening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivjSZ81Rl9Y
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 2:51:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I made it home in time to miss this.

Link Posted: 8/3/2018 4:09:11 AM EDT
[#26]
It was looking a little hairy when I was leaving for work tonight around 630pm. Other than some dust and decent lightning, we just got sprinkled on in N Scottsdale. Hopefully my house in phx is still there in the morning
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For those saying theyve seen rainstorm which were worse visibility than a dust storm, well get around I-10 and I-8 meet (Pinal county) Even Saudi and Iraq wasn't as bad.  It's the terrain down there.  Flat area with clay soil that when those micro blast hit its so bad in sections that you can't see the end of your hood.  They don't stay all day like that.  but can last off and on for an hour and you better pull over.  The rest of AZ not as bad.

One of my most surreal experience was that with lightening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivjSZ81Rl9Y
View Quote
Dust Storm (Haboob) Phoenix AZ - July 30th, 2018
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Terrible for your car to drive in the dust. Get home or sit it out if you can. Change your air filter after if you have to drive in it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I've driven in rain storms that compromised my visibility *MUCH* worse than *ANY* haboob I've seen so far.
View Quote
I don't get this reasoning. You've driven in worse conditions so people in general shouldn't exercise caution in dangerous conditions?

The back of my house overlooks 30+ square miles of desert and it takes minutes for a dust storm to cross the entire area. Knock yourself out driving around because "LOL ITS JUST DUST".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top