Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2020 2:56:16 PM EDT
Seen it mentioned on arf. Never payed much attention, new it was happening but figured price and tech know how was out of my control. Then I learned about Proton vpn and mail service. Based out of Switzerland. Sounds good, affordable. Reading their blogs they stat that many of the so called vpn apps available out there actually have mal ware.

I’m considering this now that I see the communist are getting too large a foothold in my daily life. Especially what’s happening here in VA. True there is already enough info out there in meta data on me to give a commie excuse to lock me up investigate ect. For doing nothing more than supporting my second, but you gotta start somewhere.

More importantly my kids may need to get on something like this early in life.

Let me know what y’all know.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Proton is the standard email for many groups due to its end to end encryption. I plan to start using their VPN soon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I use both Protonmail and ProtonVPN. I don't know much about the technical aspects of each but I'm statisfied with the service. Let the U.S. government serve their warrant in Zurich.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Been using both since 2015.

Yes, you should use them. Only downside is the small size of the free tier inbox. So don't register for a bunch of stupid spam emails.

While you're at it, get yourself and your friends on Signal and Keybase. The Electronic Frontier Foundation has some good guides for practical privacy and security for mere mortals.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I am using Proton for iPads and Macs.  Kind of a dumb question. Can I put the router on VPN and therefore, all data through the router in on the VPN?
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Beware what Apps you download. If you get them from the Google store or the Apple store you will agree to the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) and Privacy Policy. In most cases you give away the rights to everything on your phone: pictures, files, emails, voice recordings, contacts, location, phone records, everything.

You get the Signal app and they (someone) get everything you have. Kind of ironic for those who want to protect privacy.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am using Proton for iPads and Macs.  Kind of a dumb question. Can I put the router on VPN and therefore, all data through the router in on the VPN?
View Quote
You could get a pfsense firewall and route all the the traffic through your VPN, I find that much easier to do and pfsense boxes can be found on Ebay all day long.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top