User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2018 4:03:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Duuuuuuuude  
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#2]
You guys remind me of sharks circling their prey.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You guys remind me of sharks circling their prey.
View Quote
Too salty for you?

Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Too salty for you?

View Quote
Nice one!
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Imberico.

But frankly I love all European dried ham
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I need a deli slicer
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Woul like to make my own
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Woul like to make my own
View Quote
Its hard here in New England.  Humidity is way off.

Major reason New World dried hams are so salty and usually smoked.

I had a customer that says he did well using a household refrigerator.   Once he got the temp right.

If I ever move back to the ADK I'd love a cold cellar. It would probably work there or other high altitude areas.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I need a deli slicer
View Quote
Just a nice knife will do.

This is the technique for a bone in ham.  Not really relevant for prosciutto but a good read.

https://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/spanish-serrano-ham.htm
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Its hard here in New England.  Humidity is way off.

Major reason New World dried hams are so salty and usually smoked.

I had a customer that says he did well using a household refrigerator.   Once he got the temp right.

If I ever move back to the ADK I'd love a cold cellar. It would probably work there or other high altitude areas.
View Quote
The only real problem is it can take up to a year! It's no problem from November to March but after that it is not optimal. The other concern on a bone in ham is botulism! If the curing process is not correct- a bone in ham is a perfect place for botulism to grow. On small muscle groups I don't worry so much, but on a bone in ham..... I need more experience
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Of course its going to take a year!  This aint a hotpocket

Take the bone out.

Fine tipped boning knife.  Make cuts around the femer.  Until its free.  Slide it right out.

Or butterfly it open. Then remove the bone.

And thata were my customer said the refrigerator came in.

Constant temp and humidity.   Just got to play with it

And don't open the door.    Your essentially making a cave.

When you look at the time and money it takes. That 150$ aint so expensive now
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Of course its going to take a year!  This aint a hotpocket

Take the bone out.

Fine tipped boning knife.  Make cuts around the femer.  Until its free.  Slide it right out.

Or butterfly it open. Then remove the bone.

And thata were my customer said the refrigerator came in.

Constant temp and humidity.   Just got to play with it

And don't open the door.    Your essentially making a cave.

When you look at the time and money it takes. That 150$ aint so expensive now
View Quote
Wow! I never knew it was that easy
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wow! I never knew it was that easy
View Quote
Its one of the easier things to debone.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Its one of the easier things to debone.
View Quote
Deboning is not the issue.
Have you any experience in this area of cured meats or are you just going off what your customer told you?
I do have experience- training in school, on the job experience and my own work-
Making your own whole prosciutto is not a simple as deboning it and using a refrigerator- if your friend was successful he might have more experience in curing - It is not something for the novice
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Deboning is not the issue.
Have you any experience in this area of cured meats or are you just going off what your customer told you?
I do have experience- training in school, on the job experience and my own work-
Making your own whole prosciutto is not a simple as deboning it and using a refrigerator- if your friend was successful he might have more experience in curing - It is not something for the novice
View Quote
Yes I have cured meats.  I too have experience in school and in the field.

While I've never made prosciutto. It aint rocket science.  Once you identify your biggest hurdle it's quite easy. If you have patience.

Sorry if this implanted a stick in your ass. You expressed an interest. I was suggesting ways that may help.   I'm done here.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes I have cured meats.  I too have experience in school and in the field.

While I've never made prosciutto. It aint rocket science.  Once you identify your biggest hurdle it's quite easy. If you have patience.

Sorry if this implanted a stick in your ass. You expressed an interest. I was suggesting ways that may help.   I'm done here.
View Quote
So sorry - I did not me to make your butt hurt
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to make dried sausage like every other Italian in CT did before i moved. It's something i haven't done down here in Florida yet. I have read multiple places that using a fridge controlled by a temp controller off Amazon is the only way here. Basically allowing the temps in the box to stay a little warmer then the normal t stat in the fridge would allow while controlling the humidity. No real way of hanging it here.
As far as the procuitto goes, i am sure at some point I'll try one, but so much more flavor comes from the drying location then anything else. It's hard to replicate that locally. Just watched a video on the Italian culatello ham. The amount of mold that has to grow on it just isn't something that can be replaced here.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Can't even have a nice discussion about the King of Hams.  Sigh.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I had prosciutto wrapped pork tenderloin last night!  (and no, I didn't waste the good stuff... just some Citterio from the deli)

Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn.  Looks yummy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I used to make dried sausage like every other Italian in CT did before i moved. It's something i haven't done down here in Florida yet. I have read multiple places that using a fridge controlled by a temp controller off Amazon is the only way here. Basically allowing the temps in the box to stay a little warmer then the normal t stat in the fridge would allow while controlling the humidity. No real way of hanging it here.
As far as the procuitto goes, i am sure at some point I'll try one, but so much more flavor comes from the drying location then anything else. It's hard to replicate that locally. Just watched a video on the Italian culatello ham. The amount of mold that has to grow on it just isn't something that can be replaced here.
View Quote
Its work......that is not easily duplicated
A lot of factors come into play.
I wish it were easy as I would have done it but!
Next step is fermented sausages
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Not to sound like a snob but having tried so many i always stick with di parma.

Though cooking with di parma doesnt always produce the best flavors.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Figuring out what you enjoy is a good thing.

I've tried many versions as well, but haven't bought in a few years so I had to jump on this one when I saw the price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not to sound like a snob but having tried so many i always stick with di parma.

Though cooking with di parma doesnt always produce the best flavors.
Figuring out what you enjoy is a good thing.

I've tried many versions as well, but haven't bought in a few years so I had to jump on this one when I saw the price.
Trying others is a great plan.  I know Citterio gave it a shot when we couldn't get the real deal but it was so-so at best.

I too love the Parma.  Between that and mortadella....dear Baby Jeebus.  Parma, mortadella, fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers, oil and some Italian seasoning.  Good night Irene.

BTW, as good as Parma is, this makes Parma it's bitch on occasion:

https://www.prosciuttosandaniele.it/en/prosciutto-san-daniele/prosciutto-di-san-daniele-is-noble
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top