Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2022 12:41:14 AM EDT
My wife and I are interested if it can reliably provide power, and there aren't a bunch of hidden tripfalls in the process. Anyone here done it, give tips/recommendations? Home is free and clear.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Leasing may be an option.  I didn't want to dump a ton of cash into solar and wait for an ROI.

I have a small lease payment, my solar is designed to blank out my electric bill, and all I have to pay is the lease and a meter fee.  My bill is the same every month, no summer month surprises.

If you buy, insurance is on your dime.  A good lease contract covers insurance, which includes wind/hail damage.  The system is guaranteed to work, even the invertor(s) for the lease term.  They will also remove the panels at the end of the lease, or sell them to you for pennies on the dollar.

There is another thread around here somewhere about all of this.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife told me after this that since her house isn't tied down, (mobile), they have to be ground set or on a carport or something...the list of things I'd have to pay for is getting higher and I haven't even talked to a company yet. Thank you for your reply.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess you mean install the panels on ground mounted racks like a carport.  That does add to the cost.

It would be a good excuse to build a detached shed or shop.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
That IS on the to-do list, eventually, but my mother in law built me a dedicated reloading room at her place right around the corner, so we aren't in a hurry for an outbuilding yet. Did I mention my mother in law is a saint?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.......... Did I mention my mother in law is a saint?
View Quote

So was mine, until I married her daughter.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:25:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So was mine, until I married her daughter.
View Quote

Ah, she is even after that event.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been thinking about doing the same.

Found a place in Gilbert that has used panels. Santan Solar. They can help with some of the basics.

There's also a guy on the different social medias, Nate Petroski.

He home built his solar rack with lumber and bought used panels and batteries. He's completely off grid and says he has less than $10,000 in his setup. But he's in West Virginia. Still an interesting guy to see how he did everything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top