Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2018 1:43:23 PM EDT
So the roads need to be improved/maintained; aren't we already paying income/property/sales tax enough to support this, or are the liberals burning the budget on social intitatives?

Be sure to do your part and vote this down.

https://ballotpedia.org/Colorado_Proposition_110,_"Let's_Go_Colorado"_Transportation_Bond_and_Sales_Tax_Increase_Initiative_(2018)
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Add the gas tax and vehicle registration fees that go to road projects.
They get millions from those alone, if not billions.

They already waste too much, we just got a roundabout to replace a 4 way intersection that was never a problem, really not that much traffic out there, on a state highway.

No from me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Anything that raises taxes is a great big NO!
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This. "Shall taxes be increased..." is as far as I read. No.

I may vote for Fix Our Damn Roads (the bond measure).
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Add the gas tax and vehicle registration fees that go to road projects.
They get millions from those alone, if not billions.

They already waste too much, we just got a roundabout to replace a 4 way intersection that was never a problem, really not that much traffic out there, on a state highway.

No from me.
View Quote
I'd like to see an audit of where this money is going to currently. a few weeks ago I did a 2 week long road trip from Co into Wy, MT, ND, MN, Wi, MN, SD, Ne and back into Co. Co's roads are in the worst shape of them all and there was the least amount of construction being preformed.

For a state that has tourism as a big part of the economy you would think that you would want good roads.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'd like to see an audit of where this money is going to currently. a few weeks ago I did a 2 week long road trip from Co into Wy, MT, ND, MN, Wi, MN, SD, Ne and back into Co. Co's roads are in the worst shape of them all and there was the least amount of construction being preformed.

For a state that has tourism as a big part of the economy you would think that you would want good roads.
View Quote
Denver and Boulder steal all the money from the rest of the state and squander it on typical liberal projects.  Thats why our roads suck, and why they want even more money to fix the roads.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Colorado Springs raised sales tax for the 3rd time in 10 years to benefit road projects.

It was a massive sales tax increase. We are paying 8.25% now and the amount of sales tax on most purchases feels ridiculous. This would push us up to 8.9%
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hopefully so.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, uh, all that transportation money?

Has anybody noticed the train to the airport? How about the train to Wheat Ridge?

Yeah, that's where it went.

My only possible Yes vote this fall will be Fix Our Damn Roads, and that's only if it screws RTD as hard as I suspect a Caldara-backed initiative will.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 11:13:36 PM EDT
[#10]
"Shall taxes be increased" is as far as anyone needs to read before deciding to vote "no." This state has plenty of $$$. Much of it is squandered.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 11:57:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"Shall taxes be increased" is as far as anyone needs to read before deciding to vote "no." This state has plenty of $$$. Much of it is squandered.
View Quote
I read the revenue is over $28 Billion! 40% of that goes to "Healthcare".
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I read the revenue is over $28 Billion! 40% of that goes to "Healthcare".
View Quote
Look at the Medicaid rolls.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:31:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Colorado doesn't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem.  According to the state we take in about 50 million/month on the gas tax.  Combine that with the annual car registration 'fees' on the millions of cars you would think would be enough for the roads, but it seems to be diverted upstream to some other pet projects.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#15]
If you deleted the rest of my ballot's text it spells out "FUCK LIBERALS" in little dots.   That is all.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Where do all the new tax revenues from pot sales go?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's my understanding that *some* of it goes to schools, but the other state funding for schools is reduced an equal amount so the net increase for schools is at or near 0.  Where they take that other money and spend it is anyone's guess.  We need an audit that doesn't require an economics PHD to understand.  With the increase in population it would seem that the tax revenue would increase yet there is never, ever, enough.  I know that my property taxes take a nice leap up year over year yet there is hardly ever a ballot that doesn't include another mil levy for schools and the only 'solution' to the traffic issue on 25 is more lexus lanes.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll have to find the source(s) and I believe that I heard this on the Ross Kaminsky Show. In the time that it took for the state population to increase by 13%, tax revenues increased by 50 something %.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Double tap
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'll have to find the source(s) and I believe that I heard this on the Ross Kaminsky Show. In the time that it took for the state population to increase by 13%, tax revenues increased by 50 something %.
View Quote
For just the general fund net tax collections it appears they collected 1.1 billion (11.6 billion total) more in 2017-18 than they did 2016-17 - Colo Dept of Rev report

That's a lot of zeroes when you're asking for more annually.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

For just the general fund net tax collections it appears they collected 1.1 billion (11.6 billion total) more in 2017-18 than they did 2016-17 - Colo Dept of Rev report

That's a lot of zeroes when you're asking for more annually.
View Quote
That's almost a 10% increase in a year.  I found this, which says that from 2010 to 2017, the population increased about 11.5%.  That kind of supports what we've all been saying - there is plenty of tax revenue, especially considering that the state govt does plenty of things that it shouldn't do, and it's being pissed away.

ETA - that was with about a 30 second search.  I may look for more supporting evidence later, but those guys in my avatar are begging to be walked.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Up in smoke apparently.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.  I feel like a cranky old curmudgeon filling out the ballot each time.  No.  No.  No.  More no.  And then the increase passes.  Because Boulder.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's almost a 10% increase in a year.  I found this, which says that from 2010 to 2017, the population increased about 11.5%.  That kind of supports what we've all been saying - there is plenty of tax revenue, especially considering that the state govt does plenty of things that it shouldn't do, and it's being pissed away.

ETA - that was with about a 30 second search.  I may look for more supporting evidence later, but those guys in my avatar are begging to be walked.
View Quote
Tax revenues for Co have gone up almost 26% since 2010 (10.189 billion to 13.863 billion) and the population growth estimate from the 2010 census is 11.5% or almost 600,000 more residents.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks, Walt. I must have misheard the 50-some%. Regardless, 26% with an 11.5% population increase means "not only no, but hell no" on any tax increase.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks, Walt. I must have misheard the 50-some%. Regardless, 26% with an 11.5% population increase means "not only no, but hell no" on any tax increase.
View Quote
I'm not even sure that the revenue numbers they published are the actual bottom lime.  A lot of 'fees' have been invented to get around Tabor which don't count as taxes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Caldera says the majority of the money for 110 would go to transportation projects in the Denver metro.

They built a very expensive train to wheatridge that hardly anyone rides... but they can't fix the death highway between Castle Rock and Colorado Springs. That's because Colorado Springs is conservative.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Caldera says the majority of the money for 110 would go to transportation projects in the Denver metro.

They built a very expensive train to wheatridge that  NOBODY rides... but they can't fix the death highway between Castle Rock and Colorado Springs. That's because Colorado Springs is conservative.
View Quote
FIFY

That train was due to open literally two years ago. Between the Federal Railroad Association, the Public Utilities Commission, and RTD's own incompetence... Yeah, welcome to the end of 2018 and no G-Line.

The last thing that RTD needs is more money. I'm sure that if I were a cynical ex-Chicagoan I'd be asking which manager or owner at Xorail or Balfour-Beatty had a cousin on the RTD board, but that kind of question is considered rude.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Now the state legislature and governor will just vote it in anyway.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, don't forget that amendments y & z passed which will ultimately allow for voting districts to be shifted favorably for the democrats. My understanding of them is it will now be run through a committee comprised of 4 repubs, 4 democrats and 4 people chosen from the pool of retired judges (also all democrats). Basically they're going to marginalize the rest of the state allowing for Denver and Boulder to rule uncontested.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don’t think so.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:34:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don’t think so.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don’t think so.
It is quite apparent that Colorado doesn't like new taxes.  I think we have voted down every tax increase since I've been here.  That said, I can see the legislature dressing up some ballot question like the gas tax repeal question in Cali that failed.  The question was very misleading and those that depend on the blue book for their research could be fooled into voting for or against anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top