Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2023 10:55:39 PM EDT
Reading this gd thread made me wonder what I'm in for.

Is there an annual cap? Can they just go hog wild?

How much has yours increased in the last ten years?

One thing that crossed my mind before we moved here but I didn't check
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess it depends on what county you live in.

https://www.tax-rates.org/ohio/property-tax

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Im fixin to get hammered here in Mahoning County.

Might be even worse with the proposed school levy they want to add on that hits Nov ballot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im fixin to get hammered here in Mahoning County.

Might be even worse with the proposed school levy they want to add on that hits Nov ballot.
View Quote

Walk with me and the old men of the neighborhood some time on our nightly walk, I get all the town gossip.

We got $33 million in state funds for the new Jr High School coming.  The is huge.

But unlike PA, we vote for our taxes in our free state.

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I guess it depends on what county you live in.

https://www.tax-rates.org/ohio/property-tax

View Quote

I looked at that last night. I'm not the lowest, nowhere near highest. I see they play fuck fuck with the valuation.

Is every increase on the ballot?

Are all increases local or are some state?

Anything automatic or legislative raised?

Has yours inched trend and fifties or jumped hundreds and thousands?

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I assume my taxes are going to increase in January 2024 in Franklin County. What does the County do with that windfall of money ?
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Walk with me and the old men of the neighborhood some time on our nightly walk, I get all the town gossip.

We got $33 million in state funds for the new Jr High School coming.  The is huge.

But unlike PA, we vote for our taxes in our free state.

View Quote

I heard about the state $$. Not a done deal, yet. Only 1/3 of the money they want in the end.

I do give Catrona credit, it will be a HUGE get.

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to work with County Auditors across the State. If I remember right, in Ohio, your taxes owed are not allowed to go up just because your house valuation goes up. Only the new taxes implemented after the increased valuation go up. So if you don’t have a new bond levy or a renewal of an existing levy, you should be paying the same amount that you did prior to the new valuation. Of course, eventually you get caught with a new tax, but it shouldn’t be immediately.

This explains it better: Article

But Rhodes says taxes should increase only 3 or 4 percent, much less than the valuation increase, because schools cannot take more tax money without a vote.

"People often say we are just trying to raise money for the county or the schools. We can't do that. It's against the law," Rhodes said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I got hit for 300 a year more.  and the lovely wisdom of the bank is we need to hold double that out of your escrow so you dont fall short... Just fuck tards running the system.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#9]
We got hit for a couple hundred more on property taxes. Then the school district came a knocking wanting to increase it by another $1000 in property taxes for my house.  Thank god that levy failed…
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top