Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2021 6:34:52 PM EDT
So I was looking to put a handgun on consignment in a local lgs/range. The guy behind the counter said that I had to show proof of ownership before they could accept it. I’ve sold 75 guns in the past 20 years in Michigan and never have been asked to show proof and never seen a place for it on any form. I said to him is that your store policy and he said”not only store policy but it’s a state law. Has anyone here ever heard of this law and is it new in the last 3 weeks ago when I sold a gun in Michigan face to face.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I am guessing your registration paper ?

I never put a gun on consignment so im probably only good for spitballin
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am guessing your registration paper ?
View Quote

Yes my purchasers copy of the transfer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#3]
You should have told him to cite the mcl. He would have wasted a lot of time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Go somewhere else.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Their FFL, their rules.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Have the local cop shop print off a serial number inquiry, that will give them what they want, they'll typically do it for free.  I know for example, Jay's won't take a handgun in on trade without a serial number inquiry with the handgun, they started that quite a few years ago.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I don’t mind them wanting to to see proof of ownership but I do mind some snowflake salesman lying about the law.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don’t mind them wanting to to see proof of ownership but I do mind some snowflake salesman lying about the law.
View Quote

If it is a 'law', I've never run across it in my reading; I do know some shops will want the serial number inquiry when a handgun is being traded or going on consignment and some don't care at all, I've always believed it was a decision made by the specific shops.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I definitely would not deal with a shop that uses the "it's the law" crap.  If they want proof of no theft, they should just be honest and say so. It's to protect themselves, and sure, show some proof, but don't lie to me, it's a bad way to do business, and a red flag about how they handle business.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#10]
They are full of shit, there is no such thing as proof of ownership.

Anyone can make a new RI060 as it doesn't require seller signature.  So it's pointless. Half of people don't register or have their papers.

Where are you located?
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I will confirm that it is not a law. Never has been. The shop was straight up lying to you.

The FFL can make whatever rules they want, but lying about it being a law is a red flag and they're just pulling the wool over your eyes hoping you comply. Don't do anymore business with them, and go find a new FFL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top