Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2021 12:11:01 PM EDT
I may be buying a project car in the near to mid future.  It'll likely come damaged with a Salvage title.  Maybe somebody here knows how this is handled; I can't find good answers.

Legal definitions are found here.

1.  Wisconsin says that a Salvage Vehicle is (among other things) less than seven model years old.  Let's say I buy an 8+ year old car from out of state with an out-of-state salvage title.  Is that out-of-state salvage title still recognized here, or does it become something else because the vehicle is too old to meet WI legal definition?

2.  After I repair the vehicle, have it inspected, and get approved, it looks like title defaults to Rebuilt Salvage.  How many changes do I have to make to instead get the Street Modified title, and any idea of what these changes may be?

3.  I understand the Wisconsin Vehicle Inspection to go from Salvage to Rebuilt Salvage or Street Modified for legal road use.  But it turns out that insurance doesn't like salvage vehicles.  They want their own inspection and are fine with some work but not with other work.  For example, if the frame is damaged in any way, my insurance won't touch it even if it's merely tweaked and you have a professional shop tweak it back to shape.  Has anybody here ever dealt with insuring Rebuilt Salvage or Street Modified titled vehicles?  If so, what were your experiences?  Any advice for places to check out or avoid?
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My agent told me that they only would issue liability on a salvage/rebuilt title when I asked about possibly making the wrecked viper I bought into a street and track toy. So its just a track toy now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My agent told me that they only would issue liability on a salvage/rebuilt title when I asked about possibly making the wrecked viper I bought into a street and track toy. So its just a track toy now.
View Quote

@Rob940

Thank you; sounds like this is a common problem.  If you don't mind me asking, what insurance company are you with?  Just want to make a list of who to potentially consider / avoid.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#3]
We bought a rebuilt salvage vehicle to use as a daily driver from a family friend. I insured it just like my previous vehicle (State Farm) and it didn't seem to be an issue.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@Rob940

Thank you; sounds like this is a common problem.  If you don't mind me asking, what insurance company are you with?  Just want to make a list of who to potentially consider / avoid.
View Quote

Was with Allstate then. Weird how my rates doubled right after I asked them about it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We bought a rebuilt salvage vehicle to use as a daily driver from a family friend. I insured it just like my previous vehicle (State Farm) and it didn't seem to be an issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you!

Quoted:

Was with Allstate then. Weird how my rates doubled right after I asked them about it.

...and thank you too!
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Title it in another state that doesn't recognize the salvage title and then wash it back into WI.  I had to so this with my '72 Cutlass that came on a salvage title from NV.  IIRC I went through PA.

Hagerty is pretty much the gold standard for any type of collector, enthusiast, or racing insurance.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I went with Leland-West for my Triumph Spitfire - better rates and less restrictions than Hagerty, at least for me anyway. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Title it in another state that doesn't recognize the salvage title and then wash it back into WI.  I had to so this with my '72 Cutlass that came on a salvage title from NV.  IIRC I went through PA.

Hagerty is pretty much the gold standard for any type of collector, enthusiast, or racing insurance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you.  It’s funny how everybody warns about title washing, but yet nobody talks about which states don’t give trouble.  I’m not interested in defrauding anybody, but I would like to avoid the BS when I need to insure the car.  I want this car for me, so it’s not like I intend to do substandard work with my own tail on the line.

The state’s inspection process isn’t bad, but how do they expect people to know what car a replacement quarter-panel came from?  It’s not like even honest sellers seeing honest parts always know that.

Quoted:
I went with Leland-West for my Triumph Spitfire - better rates and less restrictions than Hagerty, at least for me anyway. YMMV.

Thank you too!  I’ll look into them both.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#9]
What are you buying/rebuilding?
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What are you buying/rebuilding?
View Quote

Not sure yet.  I just want to know how to address insurance and the legalities once I have things lined up.

As best I can tell, this area is as clear as mud.  Very little solid information available, and the little that I can find is specific to other states.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Talk to a trooper or better yet an inspector.  They'd either have the answers or could get them for you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:15:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Talk to a trooper or better yet an inspector.  They'd either have the answers or could get them for you.
View Quote

I’ve tried twice.  It was like pulling teeth to reach somebody, and then I got the infamous “we’ll get back to you.”  It’s coming up on seven weeks.

Already working another angle within the state police.  On the good side, I just got a second WI recommend for State Farm.  Going to talk with them today to learn about their policies and procedures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top