Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2020 11:54:22 AM EDT
I’m looking to get a new press but can’t decide which would be better between the two aforementioned. I’ve got several calibers and my current single stage just isn’t gonna cut it much anymore.

So... pros and cons... and, go.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Typical arfcom fashion of get both really applies here. Each has their very good points. But if you need quantity go with the progressive. If your making match grade rifle ammo the turret is hard to beat. If you have and auto powder scale dispenser the turret will work alright for pistol ammo. But the progressive will blow it away but with less consistency. Now you can turn out decent match grade ammo with a progressive press and the powder funnel attachment. But the progressive will have bit more run out. The same can be said for the turret vs single stage press. So it will come down to how far you want to split hairs. I have all three a RCBS single stage a Lyman turret and a Hornady progressive press and I can't imagine doing with out any of them. But I went the route of progressive then turret press. Plus I have a simple cheap Lee press to decap with. The next question you will have is Blue vs Red! Now that is the hardest one most people have when they decide to go progressive. Both have great traits and both have flaws, so it will come down to just personal choice or what you find for a bargain. If I didn't have the the Hornady I think I would have gravitated to the 550 Dillon. And I could see it out performing a turret press for both rifle and pistol ammo. I don't like the disk powder measure Dillon has but that is easily remedied. Or auto powder dispenser and funnel. I think even if you go the D550 I think you will upgrade later. Most people do. I know I didn't help other than to cause you to think deeper into this venture. I think your gonna have to ask what I shoot more pistol or rifle? If you say pistol you might be better off with the D550. Or you may decide a D550 and a Lee left setup for the main pistol caliber? Lee makes pretty good stuff but I'm skeptical of their progressive press on rifle calibers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an older 550.  Awesome press.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#3]
We started out with a Lee turret press and liked it so much that we got another one.  The dual setup is mainly because one will usually be set up for the most commonly shot caliber which is 9mm at the moment.  The second one will be used for whatever we need.  With the powder auto feed and the EZ primer feeder it's pretty fast, it's just not fully automated.

The progressive press is nice but there was no way we could afford the equipment necessary for startup. The turret press was the logical choice for us.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The turret is handy as there's less handling cases vs a single stage but you're still doing one step at a time.

A progressive will give you several time the output a turret will.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top