Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2021 10:00:47 PM EDT
Update 20220209:

HB 325 passed out of Gov't oversight committee on 2/8!

-------------------------------------------

Update 20211020:

SB 185 passed by the Senate!!!!  

This means it will go to the House, ...and the House already has a companion bill, HB325...  This puts pressure on the House to get something done!!!

Contact your House Reps, and I'll update with the appropriate committee for SB 185 once it becomes known...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Update 20211006:
Emergency Powers Bill SB 185 Passes Out of Senate Committee

SB 185 will now go to the floor where it can be voted on by the full Senate.

Contact your legislator to encourage a vote!

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislators/senate-directory

---------------------------------------------

Rep. Wiggam and Sen. Schaffer Announce Second Amendment Emergency Power Bills

"Our legislation is simple and straightforward," stated Representative Wiggam. "The bills prevent state or local authorities from restricting legal firearms possession, transportation, carrying, training, concealed handgun license processing, shooting range access and hunting and fishing during a declared emergency."
View Quote

The two bills declare firearms possession, transportation, carrying, commerce, training range access as well as hunting and fishing to be life sustaining essential activities. Both local and state government authorities are prohibited from infringing these rights under the guise of a declared emergency either on a local or state level. Further, the legislation provides legal recourse for people who experience unjust infringements on these essential rights.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2021 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I can get behind those just as strongly as I'm behind Constitutional Carry.

I also wish we'd see a bill to de-criminalize entering an establishment with "no firearms" signs. Or at least something that requires a specific sign to be used and posted at a specific place if a business wants to prohibit weapons. I don't support businesses who don't respect my decision to legally carry in their establishments, and I just want an easy way to see who they are from a photo on Google Street Maps before I decide to go. Something like PA's law around this would work.

I'm also really hoping that Ohio joins other states as a 2A sanctuary. I'd even go so far as to hope that at some level local and state police might even be called upon to stand with citizens against the ATF. (But realistically that last part is a very long shot, so I'm not holding my breath.)
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can get behind those just as strongly as I'm behind Constitutional Carry.

I also wish we'd see a bill to de-criminalize entering an establishment with "no firearms" signs. Or at least something that requires a specific sign to be used and posted at a specific place if a business wants to prohibit weapons. I don't support businesses who don't respect my decision to legally carry in their establishments, and I just want an easy way to see who they are from a photo on Google Street Maps before I decide to go. Something like PA's law around this would work.

I'm also really hoping that Ohio joins other states as a 2A sanctuary. I'd even go so far as to hope that at some level local and state police might even be called upon to stand with citizens against the ATF. (But realistically that last part is a very long shot, so I'm not holding my breath.)
View Quote

This.

1) We need a minimum specific sign language, size, font, location, etc. Similar to Texas would be helpful, improper font on the sign, it's invalid.
2) We need to be able to hold businesses liable for any injury that may occur from disarming valid CCW license holders. I believe KY passed a law similarly a few years ago, and it has made insurance rates much more interesting for those wishing to still post those signs.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This.

1) We need a minimum specific sign language, size, font, location, etc. Similar to Texas would be helpful, improper font on the sign, it's invalid.
2) We need to be able to hold businesses liable for any injury that may occur from disarming valid CCW license holders. I believe KY passed a law similarly a few years ago, and it has made insurance rates much more interesting for those wishing to still post those signs.
View Quote

You know, I've advocated for #2 for a while among friends. I'm surprised I forgot about that. And it makes sense - hold business owners accountable for their decisions. And #1 is spot on. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want that - after all, it helps us comply better with business owners' wishes if things are standardized.

And while we're building out a wish list, I'd also like to see the state consider adding some sort of firearms education curriculum to physical education. Model Eddie the Eagle or something. I'd think that would be a slam-dunk deal that everyone should agree upon, no matter how they feel about firearms. After all, that would help prevent accidental deaths. It would also teach a bit of responsibility and take the "scariness" out of firearms - which is probably why the left would argue against it. (It's harder to call things "evil" when people are educated about them.)

I'd also like to see the prohibition on carry of firearms in public buildings without metal detectors eliminated for CCW holders. If we're trusted enough to have a permission slip to exercise our 2A rights everywhere else, why should we be disarmed when coming to speak to our electeds? And maybe even expand that to the "sanctified" school zones while we're at it, too? (Yeah, I know. Keep dreaming. Do not apply logic to something that liberals get hysterically emotional about.)

I know we've got some pro-2A orgs here in OH. Are any of them organized around lobbying efforts like the VCDL down in VA? I have limited funds and time, but want to lend what support I can where it can do some legislative good.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#4]
committee hearing from last Tues: BFA Testifies in Support of SB 185 Emergency Powers Bill

...also there was a 3rd hearing on SB185 today (opponent testimony)...   good thing is it seems to be moving, ...see if your senator is on the committee: https://ohiosenate.gov/committees/veterans-and-public-safety

...there has not been a hearing on HB325 in the House yet...

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Updated OP, SB 185 passes out of Senate Committee!

Emergency Powers Bill SB 185 Passes Out of Senate Committee

SB 185 will now go to the floor where it can be voted on by the full Senate.

Contact your legislator to encourage a vote!

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legislators/senate-directory

Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Vote Tally for SB 185, Veterans and Public Safety Committee:

YEAS
Bob D. Hackett (R)
Frank Hoagland (R)
Terry Johnson (R)
Bob Peterson (R)
Steve Wilson (R)

NAYS
Teresa Fedor (D)
Cecil Thomas (D)
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know we've got some pro-2A orgs here in OH. Are any of them organized around lobbying efforts like the VCDL down in VA? I have limited funds and time, but want to lend what support I can where it can do some legislative good.
View Quote

Buckeye Firearms Association is very good at lobbying and drumming up support for changes in Ohio law.  If it wasn't for them we'd be stuck with 1980s laws.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#8]
HB 325 (Wiggam) is up for hearing at the Gov't Oversight Committee's meeting this Thurs 10/14!

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
SB 185 passes the Senate!!!!

Ohio Senate Passes Emergency Powers Bill SB 185

It passed on a party-line vote, ...there were 7 jackasses who voted against it..  sorry, but i'm done with being "nice", ...the democrat party continues to show it wants the gov't being the exalted shaft to the people...

Here's the vote tally:

YEAS
Niraj Antani (R)
Louis W. Blessing, III (R)
Andrew O. Brenner (R)
Jerry C. Cirino (R)
Matt Dolan (R)
Theresa Gavarone (R)
Frank Hoagland (R)
Jay Hottinger (R)
Stephen A. Huffman (R)
Matt Huffman (R)
Terry Johnson (R)
George F. Lang (R)
Nathan H. Manning (R)
Rob McColley (R)
Sandra O'Brien (R)
Bob Peterson (R)
Bill Reineke (R)
Kristina Roegner (R)
Mark Romanchuk (R)
Michael A. Rulli (R)
Tim Schaffer (R)
Kirk Schuring (R)
Steve Wilson (R)

NAYS
Hearcel Craig (D)
Teresa Fedor (D)
Tina Maharath (D)
Vernon Sykes (D)
Cecil Thomas (D)
Sandra R. Williams (D)
Kenny Yuko (D)

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 1:48:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Good news!
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm watching today's House session to see if HB 325 is brought up for a floor vote...

https://www.ohiochannel.org/live/ohio-house-of-representatives
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#13]
House Gov't Oversight Committee

Yea:
SHANE WILKIN
ANDREA WHITE
RICK CARFAGNA
TIMOTHY E. GINTER
DON JONES
PHIL PLUMMER
BILL SEITZ
D. J. SWEARINGEN

No:
RICHARD D. BROWN
TAVIA GALONSKI
PAULA HICKS-HUDSON
BRIGID KELLY
MICHAEL J. SKINDELL
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#14]
BFA is reporting that HB 325 was passed by the House!!!!

Ohio House Votes to Pass HB 325 to Limit Emergency Power in Emergencies

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Passed by a supermajority on party-line vote...   folks, ...not a one democrat could find it in their heart to stand-up for peoples rights from gov't tyranny...   not a one, ...the party of the jackasses continues to show their asses...

64 yea
35 nay

Yea:

Cindy Abrams (R)
Brian Baldridge (R)
Adam C. Bird (R)
Thomas E. Brinkman Jr. (R)
Jamie Callender (R)
Rick Carfagna (R)
Sara P. Carruthers (R)
Gary Click (R)
Rodney Creech (R)
Jon Cross (R)
Robert R. Cupp (R)
Al Cutrona (R)
Bill Dean (R)
Jay Edwards (R)
Ron Ferguson (R)
Sarah Fowler Arthur (R)
Mark Fraizer (R)
Haraz N. Ghanbari (R)
Timothy E. Ginter (R)
Diane V. Grendell (R)
Jennifer Gross (R)
Thomas Hall (R)
Brett Hudson Hillyer (R)
Adam Holmes (R)
James M. Hoops (R)
Marilyn S. John (R)
Mark Johnson (R)
Don Jones (R)
Kris Jordan (R)
Darrell Kick (R)
J. Kyle Koehler (R)
Jeff LaRe (R)
Brian E. Lampton (R)
Laura Lanese (R)
P. Scott Lipps (R)
Mike Loychik (R)
Susan Manchester (R)
Gayle Manning (R)
Riordan T. McClain (R)
Derek Merrin (R)
Kevin D. Miller (R)
Scott Oelslager (R)
Thomas F. Patton (R)
Gail K. Pavliga (R)
Phil Plummer (R)
Jena Powell (R)
Sharon A. Ray (R)
Tracy M. Richardson (R)
Craig S. Riedel (R)
Bill Roemer (R)
Jean Schmidt (R)
Bill Seitz (R)
Dick Stein (R)
Jason Stephens (R)
Brian Stewart (R)
Reggie Stoltzfus (R)
D. J. Swearingen (R)
A. Nino Vitale (R)
Andrea White (R)
Scott Wiggam (R)
Shane Wilkin (R)
Bob Young (R)
Tom Young (R)
Paul Zeltwanger (R)

Nay:

Willis E. Blackshear, Jr. (D)
Kristin Boggs (D)
Janine R. Boyd (D)
Juanita O. Brent (D)
Richard D. Brown (D)
Jeffrey A. Crossman (D)
Shayla L. Davis (D)
Sedrick Denson (D)
Tavia Galonski (D)
Paula Hicks-Hudson (D)
Latyna M. Humphrey (D)
Catherine D. Ingram (D)
Dontavius L. Jarrells (D)
Brigid Kelly (D)
David Leland (D)
Michele Lepore-Hagan (D)
Mary Lightbody (D)
Beth Liston (D)
Joseph A. Miller III (D)
Adam C. Miller (D)
Jessica E. Miranda (D)
Michael J. O'Brien (D)
Phillip M. Robinson, Jr. (D)
C. Allison Russo (D)
Michael Sheehy (D)
Michael J. Skindell (D)
Kent Smith (D)
Monique Smith (D)
Lisa A. Sobecki (D)
Bride Rose Sweeney (D)
Emilia Strong Sykes (D)
Daniel P. Troy (D)
Terrence Upchurch (D)
Casey Weinstein (D)
Thomas West (D)
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Excellent.

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#17]
folks, ...this marks another milestone, as w/ constitutional carry, both houses have passed bills that protect against emergency powers!!!!

we're over the hump!

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top