Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2021 12:07:05 PM EDT
Have a child who is getting close to entering the lovely world of public school systems.

I thought I'd look into possibly a private school, but then realized I was in Connecticut and even those probably won't be much better.

I live realitively close to Independent Day School, so I went on to check out their site. It didn't look too liberal, until I hit the "About Us" tab. A left-leaning democratic would probably cream their pants reading it, and under the "suggested reads" potion, the first thing listed was "White Fragility". Nearly puked in my mouth as I instantly closed the internet.

Thought I'd check on here to see if there's any hope, or if im going to have to seriously start looking into homeschooling.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Parochial schools an option for you?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]
CT is the capital of private schools.  Nearly all of the big ones are here.  Not everyone is for every grade so you have to see what grades they cover.  Boarding or not boarding?  There are all-girls schools as well

The main reason you pay taxes is for education systems.  If I didn't have a kid, my wife and I could live just about anywhere in CT close to our jobs.  As much as we make fun of places, nearly every town had a nice section left, excepting the big cities.  I've met quite a few people who live here who still use private schools despite having one of the highest-ranked public school systems in CT.  But most of us are of the mind that by paying the taxes we do, our kids are going to public school.

There are religious schools as well as a poster noted.  There are fewer and fewer every few years or so but they're around and can be very good.  

There are also all sorts of price ranges and I'm sure that I don't have to tell you that some tuitions are mind-blowing, especially if you board.  More than a few over $60k a year.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I grew up at a private boarding school,  but I went to public school.  Everyone always asks me why well I didn’t play Hockey that’s why.  Its stupid money even if you don’t live on campus.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
A religious school is going to be your least “woke” option. I went to Catholic, Episcopal, and Franciscan schools.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]
[b] or if im going to have to seriously start looking into homeschooling.
View Quote

That's the way to go!

Just finished (May 2020) homeschooling the last of 4 kids. All are doing great. Happy to field questions on the subject. There is no better way to go.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I currently live in the town I grew up in. I stayed to have a family here as I knew it was a pretty safe, small town, with good schools. Unfortunately, we also share schools with a more left-leaning town next-door due to the small size of the towns.

Back when I went to schools here (20+ years ago), none of these current "social" issues were around, at least not to the degree that they are now.

While the schools in my town are probably not nearly as bad as the schools in some places (Hartford, Bridgeport, etc.), I'm sure there is going to be some degree of "woke-ism" worked in.

As far as a catholic school, I grew up catholic (mostly due to my grandparents), but have since stopped practicing. My wife was not raised with any religion. About the time I got to high school, I formed my own opinion about religion, and did not agree with some things regarding the catholic church. We decided that we would not force religion onto our child, but would be open to discussing when it comes time for that. Not sure if that would be an issue with the catholic schools or not.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As far as a catholic school, I grew up catholic (mostly due to my grandparents), but have since stopped practicing. My wife was not raised with any religion. About the time I got to high school, I formed my own opinion about religion, and did not agree with some things regarding the catholic church. We decided that we would not force religion onto our child, but would be open to discussing when it comes time for that. Not sure if that would be an issue with the catholic schools or not.
View Quote

It never was for me. I openly questioned everything from middle school forward. It was never an issue at home or at school. It was actually heavily encouraged in HS and forward. Large part of the reason I chose a Franciscan college. Granted this was 25 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I don’t see much “woke” in the inner city. It’s appears to me to be brought about people that want to make a symbolic gesture however they don’t want anything to do with the people they claim to be doing this for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top