Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2022 12:37:42 PM EDT
Copy paste from VCDL website. I will be in Tennessee all week.

4. Action item: Prince George County may be getting ready to restrict target shooting

Based on a complaint about a neighbor allegedly target shooting for an extended period of time, the Prince George County Board of Supervisors (PGC BoS) might be considering a new gun-control ordinance.

The complainant wants to work with the PGC BoS to craft a target shooting ordinance that the complainant claims, “… is not 2nd amendment [sic] infringement!”

Well, when the complainant suggests that you don’t NEED to shoot on your land, but you should your spend time and money going to a commercial shooting range instead, that’s starting to sound like an infringement to me, especially if you don’t have a lot of spare money to throw around.

The complainant wants the ordinance to define shooting range barriers, target practice, and how long one can shoot in a neighborhood (the claim is 10 minutes is OK, but over an hour is a problem).

Included was a manual on COMMERCIAL outdoor range standards from NEW JERSEY! – Commercial range/private range = apples/oranges.

Recommendations on a target shooting ordinance will be discussed at the next BoS meeting.  There should not be an actual vote on the ordinance at the meeting, but that meeting is a good time for our voices to be heard.

ACTION ITEM

If you can attend the PGC BoS meeting on Tuesday, July 12, at 7 pm, please do so.

County Administration Bldg. Boardroom, Third Floor, 6602 Courts Drive, Prince George, Virginia

Look for someone handing out GSL stickers.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 12:09:40 AM EDT
[#1]
VCDL update:

Prince George County

I authorized VCDL Executive Member Leyla Myers to speak on my behalf at the Prince George County Board of Supervisors meeting. She sent me a report after the meeting and I also watched the video of the meeting.

Unlike the zero turnout in Winchester, Leyla estimated that there were between 150 to maybe 170 gun-owners present.

Eleven people spoke against any further restrictions on firearm discharge and no one spoke in support of having more restrictions.

After everyone spoke, the County Attorney made his presentation, which gave the Board various options.

The Board decided to take no action at this time, but to continue to watch the situation on firearm discharge in the County.  The ad hoc firearms committee that presented the options for regulating discharge to the Board is to be kept alive for looking into other possible solutions over time.

There is no doubt in my mind that the large turnout and activism from gun owners in Prince George County made a major difference.

A Board member made the comment that this had become a bigger issue than they planned.  Well, if government goes after our gun rights, they are touching the "third rail" and VCDL will make sure that third rail is fully energized.  ;-)

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Let me guess... some asshat from up north moved to PG county and is now upset by the sound of target shooting?  I can't tell you how many times I have had to explain to people who have recently moved into the area from NY, NJ, CT, MA, etc, that target shooting on private land is completely legal.  Many of those people get very upset with the explanation and declare that they are "going to have to do something about this".

I'd like to tell them; Yeah? Pack your shit and get back on 95 north.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top