Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2018 6:41:10 AM EDT
Well, damn.

I'm glad I picked up one of their optics when I did.

PA says unavoidable due to SCOTUS decision (South Dakota vs. Wayfair).

Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#1]
PA's opinion on this matter:

We didn't ask for it, we aren't happy about it, nor are we happy about the compliance costs of tracking sales tax changes in all these jurisdictions every year from now on and making sure that they all get paid on time and in the correct amounts. The amount of work that has already gone into complying with this law has been very significant and we would have liked to spend that effort on making our website a better user experience for our customers. But we have no choice and neither does anyone else. You know who is happy about this? Best Buy and Bass Pro. One of the main advantages of online shopping has been eliminated, from the very top of our government.

I'm sorry if you feel like we did this when we didn't have to, but believe me, Justice Anthony Kennedy and five other Supreme Court Justices said we have to. In my opinion the compliance costs are going to kill a lot of small mom and pop internet businesses, people that sell arts-n-crafts stuff on Etsy for example. They don't have a dedicated accounting department with multiple full time employees like we do. Many more of them will switch away from running their own websites to selling through mega-sites like Amazon and Ebay, who will handle the tax implications for them-- for an additional fee, of course.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]
So does this mean every online retailer will now collect tax?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]
They're supposed to.  It's a complete load of BS but biggov wants your money.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top