User Panel

Page / 54
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
counties of Albany, Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Clinton, Columbia, Cortland, Delaware, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Greene, Hamilton, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Montgomery, Oneida, Onondaga, Oswego, Otsego, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, St. Lawrence, Tioga, Tompkins, Ulster, Warren, and Washington.

I am going to work on letters to counties listed above that are not following bruen RIGHT NOW. If you know of a county listed above that is or is not allowing full non-restricted amendments right now, please let me know.

Also, who takes the application for permits or signs off on lifting restrictions.
View Quote

this was the respone back from the schenectady county clerk that says all PP questions go to her, but i am not sure if she signs off on them.

" Hello,

At this time we are awaiting further direction from the NYS Police, County Clerk’s Association, and the Office of Court Administration as to how this ruling will affect our practices here in the State of New York and also within Schenectady County.

Thank you for your patience as we navigate what these changes mean and how to best implement them.

Best,

Cara M. Ackerle"

The county judge should be Matthew J. Sypniewski 4th judicial circuit.

Schenectady County Judicial Building
612 State Street
Schenectady, NY 12305
Phone: 518-285-8429
Fax: 518-451-8721
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Saratoga County is continuing to require pistol permit holders to take courses that are taught by buddies of the sheriff in order to get an unrestricted permit.

Details from the sheriff here.

I have heard nothing one way or the other from Otsego County, but they generally only issue unrestricted permits.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cranberry1:
Westchester county is doing the same , I put in my amendment for full carry and was told by the clerk

that they are awaiting instructions from the state and that they did not know how long the wait would be ,

the Westchester co judges are the one's who sign off on amendments .
View Quote

Weird, I spoke to the clerk and was told that I just have to file an amendment to get restrictions removed. Which I did, last Friday. It will probably take months, there are thousands of amendment applications at the clerk right now.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:49:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cranberry1] [#5]
Originally Posted By batjka104:

Weird, I spoke to the clerk and was told that I just have to file an amendment to get restrictions removed. Which I did, last Friday. It will probably take months, there are thousands of amendment applications at the clerk right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Westchester county is doing the same , I put in my amendment for full carry and was told by the clerk

that they are awaiting instructions from the state and that they did not know how long the wait would be ,

the Westchester co judges are the one's who sign off on amendments .

Did you fill out the waiver for the freedom of information by the county, in other words your social media being looked into ? .Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Did you fill out the waiver for the freedom of information by the county, in other words your social media being looked into ? .https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/374673/59D16106-6532-469D-BD71-C077E7C359D5_jpe-2465206.JPG
View Quote

I did. But I believe this has always been like this for an amendment. Nobody asked me about my social media, kids, wife, whatever comes in the new law. Pretty sure this will start to be implemented come September.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Did you fill out the waiver for the freedom of information by the county, in other words your social media being looked into ? .https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/374673/59D16106-6532-469D-BD71-C077E7C359D5_jpe-2465206.JPG
View Quote

That is a big fat NO for me.  Glad I live in a county that doesn't require this nonsense and gives everyone non-restricted permits.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Meathook:

That is a big fat NO for me.  Glad I live in a county that doesn't require this nonsense and gives everyone non-restricted permits.
View Quote

Well, we really have no choice. They run a background check every time one amends his PP.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BushBoar:

So there's no pro hac vice in fed court?

I wouldn't know; I haven't set foot in a federal courtroom since I got sworn into NDNY in 2006.
View Quote
I had to wait a while to get SDNY/EDNY because I think you need to know the sponsor for a year, my first firm it wasn't relevant and I left about a year after getting licensed, so I had to wait another year or so.  Regular admission in EDNY requires that you be barred in NY or admitted to DC/CT or DC/VT - I don't think PHV requires any of that but honestly he's better off litigating everything in NDNY anyway given the liberal bent of downstate.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#14]
These are the counties I can sue. Not all of them are bad.
View Quote

Judge Renze is the issuing authority for Jefferson County, and AFAIK issues unrestricted across the board... He's a good man, and went to lengths to improve the process, that said at this time I do not know what the Clerks are doing.
Jefferson is somewhat unique with Fort Drum and the Soldiers that apply for Handgun Licenses.
The new Law passed amending 400. and 265. under exemptions (f) reads; Active Duty Service Members, and nothing about being on duty, in uniform, etc.
I'm on a mobile device and lack the skills to copy & paste the exact section, but it's under the Shall not apply to paragraph.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

I suppose if you want to allow an unencumbered review of you life by a bureaucrat or by Law Enforcement you could, to be demanded it as a prequalifying requirement somewhat treads into the 4th and 5th Amendments... the possibilities for abuse are endless, and don't even begin to imply they don't happen.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Well, we really have no choice. They run a background check every time one amends his PP.
View Quote

I can see checking for wants/warrants/RO's etc. but there's only so much information available, besides IF they can do an investigation before completing an Amendment then why can't the same check be done when making an original application?

It's a bullshit game, and folks have had enough of it.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Did their county attorney draw that or even review it?

It says it includes medical records but that's not even close to being HIPAA compliant and any medical provider presented with that would tell Westchester to get bent.
View Quote

Cranberry mentions it being for "Social Media" however I see nothing there covering it, and to simply plug in a name could get you persons other than the one named... My name isn't a common one, yet Google will find at least 15 with the same first and last.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fp1201:

Cranberry mentions it being for "Social Media" however I see nothing there covering it, and to simply plug in a name could get you persons other than the one named... My name isn't a common one, yet Google will find at least 15 with the same first and last.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fp1201:

Did their county attorney draw that or even review it?

It says it includes medical records but that's not even close to being HIPAA compliant and any medical provider presented with that would tell Westchester to get bent.

I mentioned it only because it has been mentioned by the state and also interviews with family members has also been talked about ,thank god for Nolo and his crew

who will hopefully put an end to these infringements on our privacy and rights .
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Rule 1 don’t sign that crap.  Send in changes with no such form.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Abom:
View Quote

No form - no changes. Honestly, I don't even know why I did this, restrictions are unconstitutional anyway.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:35:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#22]

No form - no changes. Honestly, I don't even know why I did this, restrictions are unconstitutional anyway.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Abom:

Yup. You were issued a full carry permit, that was restricted administratively because you couldn't demonstrate sufficient proper cause...

Proper cause was deemed unconstitutional.

So your restrictions were placed on your permit based on an unconstitutional standard.

I'm no lawyer but it sounds like restrictions are gone to me...
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DaveM4P99:

Proper cause was deemed unconstitutional.

So your restrictions were placed on your permit based on an unconstitutional standard.

I'm no lawyer but it sounds like restrictions are gone to me...
View Quote
Yes, "Proper Cause" was thrown out but they have now replaced it with "Good Moral Character". I have not yet seen a court rule that unconstitutional under Bruen so it stands as law. As always, you may beat the rap but you won't beat the ride. And in the off chance the 2nd Circuit rules it is constitutional, and SCOTUS declines to hear an appeal because they may be getting a trailer load of cases from lower courts in the near future, it will stand. States and even some of the lower courts appear to be getting emboldened to ignore SCOTUS rulings and take their chances. DOJ at this time is certainly not going to enforce gun rights.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 12:54:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#24]
Originally Posted By Aardvark:
Yes, "Proper Cause" was thrown out but they have now replaced it with "Good Moral Character". I have not yet seen a court rule that unconstitutional under Bruen so it stands as law. As always, you may beat the rap but you won't beat the ride. And in the off chance the 2nd Circuit rules it is constitutional, and SCOTUS declines to hear an appeal because they may be getting a trailer load of cases from lower courts in the near future, it will stand. States and even some of the lower courts appear to be getting emboldened to ignore SCOTUS rulings and take their chances. DOJ at this time is certainly not going to enforce gun rights.
View Quote

Arguably good moral character was / is a requirement for issuance of ANY pistol permit. The proper cause part was for a carry permit specifically right?

So if you were issued a permit...you already passed the good moral character part.

If you were issued a restricted carry permit...the restrictions were placed on it using an unconstitutional standard (proper cause)...so it's now a carry permit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

When I got my permit 10yrs ago it was on the questionnaire for the character references

something along the lines of is the applicant of good moral character .
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:17:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Adirondack47] [#26]
Looking forward to welcoming you to Syracuse @nolocentendere Hopefully you enjoy good whiskey and crappy company; we’ve got such accommodation down to a science here in the CNY HTF.

In all seriousness, please don’t be bashful if/when you’ll be here. Many of us have been waiting for some time for the opportunity to pay a long overdue debt of gratitude for your tireless work.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Adirondack47:
Looking forward to welcoming you to Syracuse @nolocentendere Hopefully you enjoy good whiskey and crappy company; we’ve got such accommodation down to a science here in the CNY HTF.

In all seriousness, please don’t be bashful if/when you’ll be here. Many of us have been waiting for some time for the opportunity to pay a long overdue debt of gratitude for your tireless work.
View Quote

This right here. If there is a dinner planned please @ me or message me. It's probably three hours from where I am to Syracuse but I would be up for the trip to say thanks for all you've done and hopefully will do for us.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I haven't been to Syracuse since 1974 for my paternal grandmother's funeral at the church I was baptized in. My father and his family were from Livingston Street and my youngest uncle lived in Syracuse until 1974 too. Have not had any interest in going back except maybe to see the Onondaga Museum.

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#30]

nothing is owed to me.  i'm just a regular dude.  but I will be seeing ya'll soon in Syracuse.  The hearing is set for 8/23.  i fly in late on the 21st i think.
View All Quotes

nothing is owed to me.  i'm just a regular dude.  but I will be seeing ya'll soon in Syracuse.  The hearing is set for 8/23.  i fly in late on the 21st i think.

Let us know if the evening of the 22nd would work for you. We can handle the rest.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Works for me.
View Quote

Book it, we will start working on the details.

Here is everyone’s formal notice & heads up:

***Monday 8/22 5:30pm somewhere TBD in the Syracuse area***
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

I've blocked out the evening on my schedule
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I'll schedule at least a half day off that day. Looks like about 3.5 hours to Syracuse from here.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Meathook:

View Quote
Ditto.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll block it off as "Consulting with my attorney."  
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I suggest you keep the final details private. We're living in some crazy times.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By PNFLDS:

View Quote

I was going to ask if I was paranoid for thinking the same.

Remember kids: it’s not paranoia if they’re really after you!

A few of have a texting group going, I’m sure as the date gets closer someone (not me) will take charge and settle on a place.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MikeyCNY:

I was going to ask if I was paranoid for thinking the same.

Remember kids: it’s not paranoia if they’re really after you!

A few of have a texting group going, I’m sure as the date gets closer someone (not me) will take charge and settle on a place.
View Quote

Its likely to be a lot of info to text, by the time its all said and done. I suggest setting up an email group for those interested in attending
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Noted.

Anyone that is interested in some celebratory dinner and whiskey/cigars on Monday 8/22 in the Syracuse area, PM me and I will ensure that you get details.

Don’t Email me from the site. Ever since my esteemed Habanos that used to run things stepped aside, emails no longer get to me for some unknown reason
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Not sure if I'm coming in the night before, or the morning of. I'll be in the court room though watching Nolo's back.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:00:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cranberry1] [#42]
These are the counties I can sue. Not all of them are bad.
View Quote

If NYS lose's  the injunction hearing can the state appeal and if so how much

longer would we have to wait for the appeal to be heard , thanks for all you do .
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#43]

If NYS looses the injunction hearing can the state appeal and if so how much
View Quote
New York is not going to lose the injunction hearing. When was the last time a court put a stay on enforcement of a gun control law that was not immediately overturned? I cannot remember any off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#44]
New York is not going to lose the injunction hearing. When was the last time a court put a stay on enforcement of a gun control law that was not immediately overturned? I cannot remember any off the top of my head.
View Quote

We've also never had a ruling like Bruen. This is the first step to much bigger things I believe.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes

If NYS looses the injunction hearing can the state appeal and if so how much

Oh NY is going to lose the hearing. This isn't a final ruling, it is an order to prevent immediate harm from implementation until a full challenge can be heard.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Dear License holder,

All applications to upgrade a current pistol license classification must be submitted in writing to the Pistol License Section.  Each request will be processed in accordance with State and Local Law.  Decisions will be rendered upon review of any rules and regulations promulgated by the Division of State Police/Division of Criminal Justice Services pertaining to the implementation of Chapter 371 of the 2022 New York State Chapter Laws.  Once a decision has been rendered, you will be notified accordingly by the Pistol License Section.
Nassau county's response from executives office.

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#47]
August 23 can't get here soon enough
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
August 23 can't get here soon enough
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Hoping to get up to Syracuse to meet some of you HTF folks and Nolo, but might be getting dragged out of state for work.

Sucks, because typically I'm being dragged to Syracuse for work.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 54
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top