Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2022 6:00:57 PM EDT
The guy I always took my stuff to is moving to VA soon, so I'm on the hunt for a new gunsmith. I've been out to Dewey at American Pride a couple times and I'll never go back. In fact, I actively discourage anyone from going to him. The only other experience I have is with L&L Gunsmithing, West of Athens, but that was only on the phone. He sounded very professional, and his website looks nice. But he told me the wait on getting a barrel cut would be 4 months. The guy is backed up. Google shows several results, but I wanted to check in and see who y'all like?
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Either Scottie at 7X or Josh at Hamilton Armory.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI.
I’m sorry you had the displeasure of having to deal with Dewey. Easily the worst excuse for a gunsmith I’ve ever met.
I would say Earl with Tombstone, but last time I talked to him he said he was about to start winding down business so he can retire.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I forgot to mention Scottie at 7X. I tried to get him to cerakote a suppressor. He kept telling me it would be better to go with H series instead of the high heat C series, and after a month he hadn't even ordered the color I wanted. And that was in spite of me essentially covering the entire cost of the small bottle. But I'll keep Hamilton Armory in mind.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Patterson's Gun Service, 2 miles east of Taft, TN on Hwy 101, near Scott's Apple Orchard Road.  Taft is 2 miles north of the border on Old Railroad Bed Road.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I forgot to mention Scottie at 7X. I tried to get him to cerakote a suppressor. He kept telling me it would be better to go with H series instead of the high heat C series, and after a month he hadn't even ordered the color I wanted. And that was in spite of me essentially covering the entire cost of the small bottle. But I'll keep Hamilton Armory in mind.
View Quote

Scottie fucked up a Colt Officers slide by fucking up a Novak cut.  Would not recommend.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used Carl at The AR Bar Armory, near the Farmer's Market, for several projects. The last one, repairing and cleaning a Hi-Standard Sentinel MkI, took a couple months because he's a bit busy. His rates are good, though. (His hourly shop rate is $17.76.)

In addition to fixing the revolver, I've had him pin and weld a 14.5" AR barrel and install a Franklin binary trigger in a 10/22 (my eyesight isn't what it used to be and trying to get the little springs into the little holes was a chore with which I didn't want to bother).
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Deleted
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Patterson's Gun Service, 2 miles east of Taft, TN on Hwy 110, near Scott's Apple Orchard Road.  Taft is 2 miles north of the border on Old Railroad Bed Road.
View Quote

It appears that Patterson's is no longer.  The last couple times I went by his place, his sign was missing.  I used him about 8-9 years ago and he was pretty well up there in age then.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had good experiences with Mike at M&M Gunsmithing. I've had him look over a Rossi .45-70 which was giving me problems and also swap a barrel on a S&W Model 37. I've been happy with the work he's done and what he's charged me.

As an aside, if you're looking for someone to do work on a Rossi firearm or anything imported by InterArms, Mike is your guy. He has piles of boxes filled with assorted parts from his time working there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Hamilton Armory?   He specializes in 1911s but I think I transferred a lower or two years ago through him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top