Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2018 7:05:53 PM EDT
Hey y’all, I have been offered a good position in Sioux City. I am wondering where is the best place to look for an apartment, is the state gun friendly, you know things of that nature.
Thanks in Advance
Elvis.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me start by saying that I don't live in SUX proper, but a few miles outside of it.  Also, I've only been here for 3 years.  I do have family that have been around SUX for a long time though.

SUX is no different than any other metro area.  Things range from really nice to really, really bad.  It will probably be easier to tell you where to avoid.  How far do you care to commute?  Looking for a good school for kids?  I'll tell you what I can and also what my family members have to advise.

Welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 3:14:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Well my kids live in Louisiana so school district is not an issue. To be honest I’m not sure of commute distance, it’s a contract job. So anything not in the “hood” would be great. How are the gun laws? What’s in what’s out. What should I leave in Louisiana? Probably will be looking for an affordable apartment.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I know and what family tells me stay away from anything with "West" in it's address.  AVOID West Sioux City, Riverside, Leads and Downtown Sioux City especially between 6th and 30th streets.  I absolutely detest apartments and avoid them with a passion so I can't give you any solid info on them.  I do know there are many apartments available in the city and there are nicer ones on Outer Drive north of Floyd BLVD and in Whispering Hills behind the new (under construction) Mills Fleet Farm store.

You can also check here:   Rent Sioux City

As far as gun laws check out a new posting in the sticky section of the Iowa HTF on Iowa gun laws.  Thanks to our awesome gun rights org, The Iowa Firearms Coalition, we are a "shall issue" state for personal carry permits and more recently SBR's, SBS's and suppressors are now legal.  No FA stuff yet, but they are working on that too.

A few other things to keep in mind:

North Sioux City is actually in South Dakota
South Sioux City is actually in Nebraska
If you come into town from the south on I-29 you may encounter a rather horrific smell that is emanating from the sewage treatment plant that some genius built right next to the interstate.
I-29 has been under construction through town for over 5 years and probably will be for another 5 years.
Keep away from anybody that is from IGO (Iowa Gun Owners).  They are a group of fanatical idiots that have accomplished NOTHING towards our gun rights, NOTHING!  Check other postings on them.
Avoid the Sioux City gun show at all costs.  It is worthless and I almost got into a fight with a bunch of IGO idiots there.

Hopefully this will help you a bit, if not ask and I will try to get the info for you.  Also hoping that some others will get on here that know more than I do about the area.

Did I mention that IGO is worthless?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Strongarm’s assessment will keep you out of trouble but is probably overkill.

Sioux City is not a big city or a “metro”, you can get anywhere to anywhere in 12 minutes or less.

It’s also neither a shit hole or really nice. What it IS is just an old river city, and a clean one when you compare it to other similar cities.

It snows, and the city does a pretty poor job of plowing for the size of the city.

There are no nice apartments, you’d be better served looking elsewhere.  As far as property goes what you see is what you get.  If it looks shitty it is, and neighborhoods can very block by block.  The only place to absolutely avoid housing is anything within walking distance of down town.

Other towns that are 30min drive or less and generally nicer are Sergeant Bluff, Lawton, Bronson, Moville, Hinton, and Le Mars.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I strongly believe that anything worth killing is worth over killing.

Good info from 8MM!  I agree on looking at some of the small towns around SUX.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Westside checking in.

Elvis, if you’re looking for apartments. Dakota Dunes has some new ones that were just built within the last year or two.

Doesn’t matter what side of a city you live on there will be nice parts and not so nice parts.

If you’re looking for housing developments there are a lot. The Westside has Woodbury heights, which has some nice houses. Sgt. Bluff has some newer developments also.Dakota Dunes, Wynstone, Whispering Creek all have new houses being built all year long.

It all depends on what you want to spend.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry westy.  Just reporting what I've been told.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I live by Briar Cliff University and its pretty quiet over here.  
Like others have said there are good parts and bad parts. Around Sioux City if the houses look cared for you're alright. Apartments in Dakota Dunes are nice and there are some new ones over by Target.
Its not a great town but not a bad town either.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 1:11:18 AM EDT
[#9]
It used to be SUX had stock yards and a rail road terminal along with the river which added to the ambiance.  I don't know if they are still there or not.  Maybe Strongarm can fill you in.

kwg
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It used to be SUX had stock yards and a rail road terminal along with the river which added to the ambiance.  I don't know if they are still there or not.  Maybe Strongarm can fill you in.

kwg
View Quote
Most of the rail system has been removed/abandoned except for the UP, BNSF and Canadian National yards over along Floyd BLVD.  LOTS of train activity over there.  The old Milwaukee Road terminal and round house has been turned into a very cool railroad museum.    I'm sure there are more, those are just the big ones I know of.  If you like trains (I do) there's a lot of them here.

The Stock yards/packing houses that I know of have moved across the river to Dakota City and South Sioux.

As mentioned by others, Dakota Dunes is a VERY nice area.  If you get an apartment there just try to get on at least the second floor.  It has flooded in the past.  Google Map it and you will see why it does.  It's still a beautiful neighborhood.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top