Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2018 3:35:39 PM EDT
So, I work for Costco. Huge benifit of them as a company, is they working in a different department/location is about as easy as asking.

I guess Costco bought out an old Sams Club building and is renovating it. I saw the announcement that they are planning on it being open in the next 5 months, and are taking applications from current employees

Zillow seems to indicate that houses are right up my alley and very affordable. I can't imagine I would run out of outdoorsy things to do there. Any huge reasons not to maybe move up there for a year? I'm 26, single, no real obligations, and tired of the Colorado housing market.

It does look like a tiny little place, and the national parks do seem to be a ways away from it, but that would be my big draw to moving. Denali, gates of the arctic, kenjai etc
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#1]
-55 degrees
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
For a year?  Yeah, no problem if you're young and want a somewhat sedate adventure/change of pace.

The nice thing about Fairbanks is that there's very little traffic.  That's all I think it has going for it.

The bad:

The winters are very cold with sub-zero temperatures being the normal, and -40 F not uncommon. The air quality sucks in the winter because there's no natural gas and heating oil is expensive, so most people burn wood.  The air quality is akin to Beijing, in the winter.

The summers are very hot, in the 90's, and the air quality sucks, because Fairbanks is surrounded by forests for hundreds of miles, and they inevitably catch fire from lightning in the summer and choke Fairbanks with smoke.

The water is very hard and stinks of sulfur.  Maybe you get used to that but when I'm ever there it bothers me.

There's nowhere good to eat.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Coming from the Denver metro area... a condo here with 800 SQ/FT is north of 180K.

I really think it would be a stint, not a long term thing, but a way to enjoy my youth and see places I wouldn't otherwise. The air pollution is unfortunate, but most of Colorado is on fire, and I haven't seen the mountains from the front range in weeks
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Quoted:

Coming from the Denver metro area... a condo here with 800 SQ/FT is north of 180K.

I really think it would be a stint, not a long term thing, but a way to enjoy my youth and see places I wouldn't otherwise. The air pollution is unfortunate, but most of Colorado is on fire, and I haven't seen the mountains from the front range in weeks
View Quote
I don't know what the housing prices are like in FBX, but if that's your main issue? Yeah, I think it'll be fine. A lot of the housing costs in Anchorage where I live are because of the insane property taxes which are among the highest in the country. FBX has very lax zoning laws and probably has lower property taxes and it's not exactly a high-demand place to live so I'm sure the housing prices are quite low there. But then it's offset by things like heating, food, etc.

I'm not trying to talk you out of moving to FBX, especially if you've got a job there and want a base to explore the rest of Alaska.  In fact, that's a great opportunity.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I’d recommend visiting it first if you’ve never been. Fairbanks and the interior as a whole is a love or hate place. I haven’t met anyone who is indifferent to it, most either can’t wait to leave or never want to.

I personally love it but it does have its drawbacks too.

With anchorage being 300+ miles away with nothing but a few small towns in between you are pretty isolated.

The winter is long and brutally cold. Can have snow on the ground from September-May. Things don’t like to work in -40, including humans. Accomplishing even simple tasks outside become a challenge. But you get used to the cold pretty quick.

The summer is awesome, but it’s gone in the blink of an eye.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 4:14:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 12:44:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Bring your own woman if you need one. All I’ll say since the guys covered most everything else. I cant wait to come back.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bring your own woman if you need one. All I’ll say since the guys covered most everything else. I cant wait to come back.
View Quote
Well that might be an issue
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 3:02:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Go for it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Air quality is nothing like Beijing
View Quote
https://www.treehugger.com/environmental-policy/air-quality-fairbanks-alaska-worse-beijing.html
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Your story sounds like alot of us.  I moved from Florida to Fairbanks about 35 years ago and spent 10 years there, before moving to anchorage.

You will either love it or hate it.

I'd rent a place, with a garage and heat included if you can afford it.  The heating costs sometimes equal what you might pay for rent.

I expect alot has changed over the years, but this is probably still a true statement: "Bring your own woman if you need one".

When I moved there the tag line for Fairbanks was "where the men are men, and the women are men too."

You don't need much access to the national parks, the wilderness is everywhere...

Try it for a year, theres nothing like it.  See what you think at that point.  I promise you will have a strong opinion about it after 1 winter.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 3:39:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I love it here. But I grew up here for the most part. There isn't shit to do so you make your own fun. Summer go out to Chatanika or Donnely for the weekend. Winter, drink on cold days and go do winter stuff outside when it's above zero.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:24:22 AM EDT
[#16]
What kind of deal can you cut for me and @jmar15 on kirklands light beer, by the pallet?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What kind of deal can you cut for me and @jmar15 on kirklands light beer, by the pallet?
View Quote
Oh shit now you're thinking. Let's get it down to <$0.40 a can.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oh shit now you're thinking. Let's get it down to <$0.40 a can.
View Quote
That’s be cheap enough for me to not feel bad about shooting it out of the can launcher too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 1:30:37 AM EDT
[#19]
DO IT OP!!!

You only live once.  Give it a try and see if you like it.   If ya don't,  move.  If ya do, get comfy and enjoy your new life.

If it was up to me I would live in Fairbanks but work tells me Anchorage is home.  I go to Fairbanks  every so often and always enjoy the interior.

Fairbanks has a university, so there are young single females.  If you aren't a tard, you can find a mate.  So dont stress it.

My only advice - winter is long.  Find a winter hobby to get outside and dont isolate in the winter.  Hit the gym, go snowshoeing,  snowmachining, cross country skiing, predator hunting/trapping, something.   Just make sure to find something to do in the winter. If you have no plan and stay home, you will hate life.

Anyways, have fun.  I personally like Fairbanks and I think you will if you like adventure.

Now get to it and let us know what you decide.  I'll tell ya this, if ya don't go, you will regret it.  I've lived all over and enjoyed every single place and experience.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
winter is long.  Find a winter hobby to get outside and dont isolate in the winter.
View Quote
it took me a while to figure that one out.  It's very true.  You'll go stir crazy without some sort of outdoor winter activity!
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

it took me a while to figure that one out.  It's very true.  You'll go stir crazy without some sort of outdoor winter activity!
View Quote
I've done work in the FBX area and North off and on since 2003, but only in August.  (My avatar image is from Livengood.)  I'm told that's when most of the mosquitoes have dies from exhaustion or overeating.  Following this thread repeated some of the normal complaints that there aren't many good restaurants.  I didn't find that to be true, but it pays to know the local folks well.  Most times though, the best three daily meals were at the Alaska Fire Service dining hall.  That only works if you have access to Ft. Wainwright and know somebody.

Probably not going back again, sadly.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:31:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Cons:

Cold as fuck in the winter
Hot in the summer
No chicks. None.
Very expensive utilities.

Pros:

Free as fuck
Sportsmans Paradise
Endless things to do outdoors
Last city on the road in the Last Frontier

I'd come for a year and see what it's about.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:49:24 AM EDT
[#23]
UAA has a college in Fairbanks
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#24]
nvm
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:53:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

UAF is bigger than UAA by a bit there chief.
View Quote
9300 to 16500. Says the Googler. So no. 'Better'? Maybe. But not bigger.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

9300 to 16500. Says the Googler. So no. 'Better'? Maybe. But not bigger.
View Quote
My bad then, I was under the impression it was the smaller of the two. Only been through the campus once.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:47:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My bad then, I was under the impression it was the smaller of the two. Only been through the campus once.
View Quote
Probably because of all the eighth year sophomores at UAA. More part-timers, I bet.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Probably because of all the eighth year sophomores at UAA. More part-timers, I bet.
View Quote
Yeah it had more of the community college vibe to me. Chasing tail at UAF for 7 years was not horrible
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah it had more of the community college vibe to me. Chasing tail at UAF for 7 years was not horrible
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Go for it. Anyone can handle a year of it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 2:19:05 AM EDT
[#31]
@bakke1

So what did ya decide?  The Fairbanks Costco opened last week, so curious if you decided to head north.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@bakke1

So what did ya decide?  The Fairbanks Costco opened last week, so curious if you decided to head north.
View Quote
I really like the current gig I have there, and they had already filled their quota by the time I had my packet ready. So sadly, I will be looking at transfer options from here on out.

I'm actually trying to plan a trip up there this spring, scope things out a bit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 3:47:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Scoping it out in spring is stupid. Scope it out in late January. Bring a hoodie.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Spent several years in the 80's at Ft. Wainwright, I loved it but don't know what it's like now. Would like to back for a visit at least.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:49:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Currently a Ft. Wainwright guy, finishing up my time here before PCS. I hate this place, I'm from AZ so I prefer warmer climates. If you're a true sportsman, this is it. But if you're like me who spends more time indoors playing with his guns than shooting them (Expensive hobby) then you might hate it. Seasonal Depression is real, and the Aurora is only cool the first 3 times you see it. It's much like the Grand Canyon.

Cost of Living is crazy due to isolation but it all balances out.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#38]
75% of the year it is the best place on earth to live.  The other 25% - December, January, and February - it really sucks.  If I could live anywhere in Alaska, it would be further south (Wasilla, Palmer, somewhere on the Kenai).
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Um...
You realize that UAF was in existence well before Anchorage?
View Quote
Fixed it for you.

I will give home the benefit of the doubt that he meant UA and accidentally hit the A twice.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:36:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What was my mistake?

University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) was founded in 1954
University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF) originally called the Alaska Ag college and School of Mines was established in 1917
View Quote
I was simply pointing out that UAF was long established before even the first permanent wood framed structure was erected in what is now Anchorage.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
DO IT OP!!!

You only live once.  Give it a try and see if you like it.   If ya don't,  move.  If ya do, get comfy and enjoy your new life.

If it was up to me I would live in Fairbanks but work tells me Anchorage is home.  I go to Fairbanks  every so often and always enjoy the interior.
View Quote
One of my "regrets" in Life was not having the balls, gumption, or money to make such a move. I was born in Florida and after Highschool/Tech school the Alaskan Pipeline was being built and I wanted to go, but didn't because of the reasons already listed...ironically Uncle Sam sent me to Northern New York which up here is similar to AK in terms of weather  (there's plenty of hunting & fishing, nothing compared to AK) but its a communist State.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top