Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 6/16/2023 9:08:52 PM EDT
Other than the obvious ‘that’s going to be weird and different,’ any big things I should be aware of? I’m currently job hunting in the area, but there’s nothing concrete quite yet.

I might drive the ALCAN or just ship a crate of stuff, but the extreme of stuff is getting sold up here before a move.
VP
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Why?
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why?
View Quote

Cost of living, the job market is getting really bad up here, crime is getting stupid, and the SO wants to be close to her family.  Sioux City isn’t my dream location, but it will help keep docs of my back for health reasons too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Cost of living, the job market is getting really bad up here, crime is getting stupid, and the SO wants to be close to her family.  Sioux City isn’t my dream location, but it will help keep docs of my back for health reasons too.
View Quote

I’m in SC. It’s not a bad place to live but you need to watch what you’re doing as well.

What’s your timeframe? There’s a Cola Warrior in September if you’re around.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 2:54:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I’m in SC. It’s not a bad place to live but you need to watch what you’re doing as well.

View Quote

Well, it's on hold permanently at this point.  SO and I just split since she wanted to be near her family and there was no way I could move within the next year.  Amicable, but still sucks.  Considering IA, NE, and SD aren't licensing states for my job, I'll probably move elsewhere once I finish getting my license and certifications done.

I'd completely forgotten about this threat because of how insane life has been.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well, it's on hold permanently at this point.  SO and I just split since she wanted to be near her family and there was no way I could move within the next year.  Amicable, but still sucks.  Considering IA, NE, and SD aren't licensing states for my job, I'll probably move elsewhere once I finish getting my license and certifications done.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that man
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s rough, sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the help either way guys it’s been a weird year.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#8]
what do you mean about licensing for your job what job field are you in?  

Be really careful around cessnap he is sketchy and stuff probably.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m in medical finishing up a license that 26 states accept, 24 don’t require. Since the SO and I split and NE/IA/SD don’t license for my work, moving there is asking for a big pay cut. (It’s a $35-50 an hour job up here, but $15-17 down there since no license is required.)
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I’m in medical finishing up a license that 26 states accept, 24 don’t require. Since the SO and I split and NE/IA/SD don’t license for my work, moving there is asking for a big pay cut. (It’s a $35-50 an hour job up here, but $15-17 down there since no license is required.)
View Quote

yea thats nuts is there another endorsement or licensure that does pay out in state that you can easily move to?
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your dog puts sugar in peoples gas tanks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shit, McDonalds pays more than that
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I moved from Sioux City to Houston in 1998 and got a 50% pay raise compared to what I was paid in Iowa for being a RN.  Look into the Houston area.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Any move is pushed off a few years, the new outfit I work for is covering all costs for my licensing and have a solid raise with benefits.  I’m not rolling in the money, but I’m at least making a fair bit more for the same work.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#15]
You'll be glad you didn't move here. I live here and it's borrrrrrrrrrrring
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top