Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's what it looks like when you drill and scope into the tumbler cavity:
http://i.imgur.com/aJCw6eU.png?1
This was after we were able to discern the combination.
View Quote

Perfect hole placement.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 2:41:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Neato!

Also, Canadian coins were silver pre-65 as well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Perfect hole placement.
View Quote

Thanks, man. Wouldn't have done it without you!

Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm very surprised there was anything of value inside. There usually isn't with those old relics.

I opened one last friday that was full of coins also. There was a 1qt glass pickle jar full to the brim with pre-64 silver quarters, and box with at least 40 rolls of those state quarters ($400?). There were some other coins that were in Crown Royal bags (so I didn't see what they were), and a real nice Springfield Armory SS 1911A1 govt model .45acp. But it was known that all this stuff was inside, and the elderly owner had passed away and surviving (also elderly) relatives didn't know the combination. It was a cheap Sentry fire safe, drilled one hole with a cordless drill, stuck in my camera and aligned the tumblers to open it.... literally 5 minutes. Wham bam... $175 for me, see ya later. I did drive 20 miles to get there, and 20 to get back home.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome! It appears it was worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Awesome! It appears it was worth the trouble.
View Quote

Yeah, absolutely! And we didn't find any CS gas or break anything. It was a good way to spend an afternoon.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#8]
good read and well worth the wait,
better than Geraldo and his "Mystery of Al Capone's Vault" antics for sure
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, absolutely! And we didn't find any CS gas or break anything. It was a good way to spend an afternoon.
View Quote

Imagine doing this shit every day... and getting paid for it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for posting this!
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Where you live up 'nort, I imagine everything and anything is a minimum of 20 miles or more.
View Quote

Yep, it is for the most part. And I love it. I'd rather drive 20 miles through woods and wilderness, in between or around the plentiful lakes, than 20 blocks through any city. It takes about the same amount of time. I charge the same hourly rate driving to and from a job (plus vehicle mileage) as I do when actually on the job. So the further away you are, the more it's gonna cost ya.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep, it is for the most part. And I love it. I'd rather drive 20 miles through woods and wilderness, in between or around the plentiful lakes, than 20 blocks through any city. It takes about the same amount of time. I charge the same hourly rate driving to and from a job (plus vehicle mileage) as I do when actually on the job. So the further away you are, the more it's gonna cost ya.
View Quote

Travel time is fair. You could be somewhere else making money.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Travel time is fair. You could be somewhere else making money.
View Quote

Exactly. So the same hourly rate applies no matter where I am. Some people don't understand what a "service call charge" is for. It's for the on the clock travel time & overhead too. Employees driving service vehicles are paid by the hour for traveling to and from jobs too. So, I treat myself as if I were an employee, not sole proprieter. An employee isn't going to drive a company truck to and from job sites on his own time. He/she's "on the clock" from the time he/she leaves the shop until they clock out and go home.

My hourly rate is based upon:

employee salary

5 types of insurance -> health, liability, worksman comp, unemployment, vehicle

advertising, phone bills, and other misc overhead

vacation/sick/personal day's pay  

fuel for service vehicle

vehicle wear / tear, maintenance and eventual replacement

registrations/licensing

profit for the company (I'm not in business just to provide a job for people, my profit is equal to an employee's salary at a minimum... if I own the business and work on jobsites too, yes, I am "double-dipping"...so what, I am entitled to)
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 1:58:56 AM EDT
[#15]
So, what are you going to do with the safe now? Scrap or reuse?
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, what are you going to do with the safe now? Scrap or reuse?
View Quote

I'm pretty sure it's still sitting there, unused and in storage. Someone initially expressed interest, but I don't believe that went anywhere.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top