Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2021 8:52:57 AM EDT
My wife is considering a job in Scottsdale.  Any reason to not move to AZ?

We are both life long Ohioians and not having winter us an upside for us.

My big concern is figuring how to move the guns and ammo across the country .
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I was born in Ohio and made the move to AZ at 21 years old, 51 years ago.  There are a number of things I still miss about Ohio.  In answer to your question, what I dislike the most about AZ is the number of 110°+ summer days, the massively increased population, and the economy, like most everywhere else, is based on continued growth....read - likely to become a permanently blue state.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have to be able to stand being warm in the summer.  We can go for weeks without seeing temps under 100.  Last summer, we hada good number of 100+ days.

Please join AZCDL and get their alerts.  Get an RTS account and be ready to make your voice heard in the state capitol!
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you visited the area to get a feel for it?  I don't even live in Scottsdale, but have made many trips there.  I did the same for Tucson.  Wife and I essentially knew what we were getting into.

A lot of your choice is how much traffic/commute you want to tolerate and what real estate price you want to bear.  What your working hours will be plays a part in this too.  This should be part of salary negotiation.  Traffic isn't horrible, most/some of the time, especially compared to some bigger cities.

Scottsdale is a neat place.

Will this be a paid relocation?  Do you have a trusted friend in AZ that you can make a pre-trip self move of guns/ammo  prior to moving truck and that sort of thing?

I moved my high end stuff, guns, safe, etc. on a road trip to a safe house.  I then did the moving truck thing after houses on both ends closed. I was lucky to avoid storage, only 24 hours between swapping keys.

Someone should also post to update you on our current ammo tax situation.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#4]
It will be a job with her current company, full relocation package.

I  visited the area many years ago, she has never been. The company will fly us out a couple times to see the area and look for housing .

The job is in the north side of Scottsdale.  We would like something outside of town if possible. We really do t want to buy looking to rent. I know it is expensive  there hoping to find somthing for 2k or so a month.

Many good places to shoot?
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Cost of living is quite high in Scottsdale itself. You may want to consider northern Mesa, Gilbert or Chandler and commuting the 30 min. You'll get a much nicer house for the same price.

Ranges closest are Scottsdale Gun Club or C2 Tactical Scottsdale (both indoors), Rio Salado and Phoenix Rod & Gun Club for outdoors. Ben Avery is another great option but further away for outdoor ranges.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It will be a job with her current company, full relocation package.
View Quote
High end, hands off relocation where they pack your shit?  If so, the company will probably have no issue with you renting a van and moving your valuables yourself.

When my company did it, they allowed everyone to malinger their way to the new location and paid for things like stops at Disneyland, hotels, meals, etc.  This was the type of move where a company buys your old house below market and then subsidizes your new digs to make you at near break-even on it.  It was done this way to make it happen seamlessly and quickly.  Raytheon does the same type of deal usually. They also move your vehicles on a car hauler.

I know some relocation packages are more DIY.

The things people accumulated just to have the moving company load up were almost comical.  The company didn't want to move a lot of work benches and office equipment, so one guy took a bunch of it home and the moving company took it to his new house.

I took the severance and moved to AZ.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Arizona is awesome. 3-4 months out of the year suck ass bu the other 8-9 are perfect. Scottsdale is really nice as well.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Scottsdale is not Arizona.  Scottsdale is part of the biggest metro area in the state. It's just another big city that happens to be located in the same zip code as Hell.   Believe it or not, a whole bunch of Arizona is not 115 degrees.  About 1/2 the state is forested. Elevation is your friend. Valleys like Phoenix and Tucson are hot as hell. I live about 50 miles from Tucson and it's typically 10-12 degrees cooler than Tucson in the summer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:52:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whether or not you like AZ will depend a lot on what you expect compared to what you are used to on Ohio. I have a lot of family from there (western part of a state, rural), plus my dad went to grad school and taught at Ohio State, so I have a pretty good idea of the differences.

N. Scottsdale covers a lot of area, but there is a lot to like there (and in AZ in general). And reasonable housing can be found without having to make the hike from Gilbert (that will be a nasty commute).

As a few have suggested, probably the best way to move guns and ammo is to rent a moving van and drive it yourself. I helped a buddy move his collection from Denver to Iowa using a 24 foot Ryder truck. That was some road trip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top