Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2019 9:35:07 PM EDT
Tyrants Illegally Seizure Firearms, Camera and Unlawful Detainment While Fishing

I personally know two of the three officers and also know the supervisor.  Not fucking impressed.

edited title-makeitflyfast
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#1]
They will soon find out their mistake. Just like Miami Beach PD.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I sure as hell hope they feel it but it'll just come out of my taxes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I smell weed. I smell alcohol. Fucking classic dirtbag moves, fishing for a reason to arrest
on some made up charges to pin on that guy. I'll keep my trap shut because there is nothing polite left to say here.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Morons. That includes all parties involved.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Most cops I've met are anti gun for anyone but them. I think it's because they are pissed that they didn't become firefighters instead.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Curious to know what other perfectly legal actions people following with firearms you think is moronic?
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IMHO the guy was looking for a confrontation and got one.
View Quote
Agree... however, as hot of a topic firearms are right now in FL, there's no excuse for agencies not training officers in the law seeing as this issue was just in the news recently down south.

While the officers were as wrong as two boys fucking, I found their attitudes acceptable. They were generally calm, open minded some, and realized their mistake.

Perhaps the guy would have been of more meaningful service to the 2nd by donating his time to appear at agencies open house, training, citizen's academies, citizens' forums, etc. to discuss these tid-bits in the law, maybe pass out flyers of highlighted parts of the law, etc. vs. baiting a confrontation and using it to educate. He clearly set out to get stopped... not sure that's safe for anyone.

Personally, I hate to see officers so ill informed and I hate to see citizens intentionally engage in conduct they know will generate confrontation... it's not safe for anyone and if shit went south it would provide yet another gun statistic.

Anyone wishing to counter with the argument "good for him, the cops were idiots, he was lawful and within his rights" my response to that is cops can enforce tons of chicken-shit laws but most don't... do we really want both sides to do what they can legally just because they can? It goes both ways.

He would had been better off just walking up to cops, ask a question about open carry, and then take satisfaction correcting the ones who need correcting.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Most cops I've met are anti gun for anyone but them. I think it's because they are pissed that they didn't become firefighters instead.
View Quote
Really?

You need to come hang out in my area...
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Agree... however, as hot of a topic firearms are right now in FL, there's no excuse for agencies not training officers in the law seeing as this issue was just in the news recently down south.

While the officers were as wrong as two boys fucking, I found their attitudes acceptable. They were generally calm, open minded some, and realized their mistake.

Perhaps the guy would have been of more meaningful service to the 2nd by donating his time to appear at agencies open house, training, citizen's academies, citizens' forums, etc. to discuss these tid-bits in the law, maybe pass out flyers of highlighted parts of the law, etc. vs. baiting a confrontation and using it to educate. He clearly set out to get stopped... not sure that's safe for anyone.

Personally, I hate to see officers so ill informed and I hate to see citizens intentionally engage in conduct they know will generate confrontation... it's not safe for anyone and if shit went south it would provide yet another gun statistic.

Anyone wishing to counter with the argument "good for him, the cops were idiots, he was lawful and within his rights" my response to that is cops can enforce tons of chicken-shit laws but most don't... do we really want both sides to do what they can legally just because they can? It goes both ways.

He would had been better off just walking up to cops, ask a question about open carry, and then take satisfaction correcting the ones who need correcting.
View Quote
Although they were calm, 2 of them clearly wanted to hem him up for any reason, even if they had to make something up. These encounters shouldnt happen, but it takes people exercising their rights for them to come to the surface. Whats even worse is the cherry picking and self interpretation of the law as they read it based on their belief.  Im really on the fence about these things and Im fairly pro LE. It does make one wonder how I would be treated for excecising my rights without intent of conflict. It does show face value that all police are not educated in the law they took an oath to protect, and not all of them really care about our rights under those laws, and thats what is concerning. Its safe to say that the 3 initial officers responding are not ones I would trust with my life and rights. Thats not good odds considering  3 units on initial response were that ignorant about a persons rights and 2 were scheeming to take him in.  How many other people have been arrested or charged for things they havent been guilty of by those 2?
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Although they were calm, 2 of them clearly wanted to hem him up for any reason, even if they had to make something up. These encounters shouldnt happen, but it takes people exercising their rights for them to come to the surface. Whats even worse is the cherry picking and self interpretation of the law as they read it based on their belief.  Im really on the fence about these things and Im fairly pro LE. It does make one wonder how I would be treated for excecising my rights without intent of conflict. It does show face value that all police are not educated in the law they took an oath to protect, and not all of them really care about our rights under those laws, and thats what is concerning. Its safe to say that the 3 initial officers responding are not ones I would trust with my life and rights. Thats not good odds considering  3 units on initial response were that ignorant about a persons rights and 2 were scheeming to take him in.  How many other people have been arrested or charged for things they havent been guilty of by those 2?
View Quote
Many of our laws are often wordy, confusing, appear conflicting, complex, and chalked full of exceptions hidden throughout the rather large law book... they lacked knowledge of and exception to the open carry law... not bad really considering the THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of laws, exceptions, involving limitless acts and omissions.

Not an excuse attempt... just pointing out there's a LOT out there. Judges, lawyers, and cops don't know it all... never will.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Many of our laws are often wordy, confusing, appear conflicting, complex, and chalked full of exceptions hidden throughout the rather large law book... they lacked knowledge of and exception to the open carry law... not bad really considering the THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of laws, exceptions, involving limitless acts and omissions.

Not an excuse attempt... just pointing out there's a LOT out there. Judges, lawyers, and cops don't know it all... never will.
View Quote
True, and yet we allow our officials to make more and more convoluted laws.  The final officer to arrive  was pretty respectful and up to speed. I dont expect every officer to know all the laws but I do take issue with abuse of authority. Its hard to respect the LE population as a whole when a small fraction is willing to wreck your life over an ego and a power trip. That which seem to be fairly prevalant and even covered over by other officers and departments. 2 of 4 officers here were perfectly willing to trump up some charges. I bet they are still on the job without any disciplinary actions taken. Ive had nothing but positive interactions my whole life but it just makes you wonder if you could be ruined if you crossed the wrong officer at the wrong time.  Or on a bigger picture, just how far they will go to violate any constitutional right over an order or perception of laws.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ive had nothing but positive interactions my whole life but it just makes you wonder if you could be ruined if you crossed the wrong officer at the wrong time.  Or on a bigger picture, just how far they will go to violate any constitutional right over an order or perception of laws.
View Quote
That's why guys like me and others work hard to police our own... no one hates a shit cop worse than a good cop... for the very reasons you posted.

Many of us realize we won't have a badge forever, what goes around comes around... and our friends and family are out there on the same streets as the rest of you.

Keep in mind your previous positive interactions as they represent MOST of what happens in LE today.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Amazingly enough, the other agencies in this county have positive interactions with him on camera and by his own account. PSLPD was once full of New York/Jersey/CT assholes.  They act like we are in those states still.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Really?

You need to come hang out in my area...
View Quote
You need to come hang out in my fire station.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Amazingly enough, the other agencies in this county have positive interactions with him on camera and by his own account. PSLPD was once full of New York/Jersey/CT assholes.  They act like we are in those states still.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The main antagonist cop sure had a NY/NJ accent at times.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
All this is going to accomplish is to get the Law changed and then nobody will be able to open carry anymore, even out in the woods where this law (in my opinion) was designed to be used. Why the hell do you need to push the issue. Flame on.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's why guys like me and others work hard to police our own... no one hates a shit cop worse than a good cop... for the very reasons you posted.

Many of us realize we won't have a badge forever, what goes around comes around... and our friends and family are out there on the same streets as the rest of you.

Keep in mind your previous positive interactions as they represent MOST of what happens in LE today.
View Quote
Thank you for what you do. I do not envy it one bit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_cool.gif All this is going to accomplish is to get the Law changed and then nobody will be able to open carry anymore, even out in the woods where this law (in my opinion) was designed to be used. Why the hell do you need to push the issue. https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_blackeye.gif Flame on.
View Quote
No flame here. His video shows how easily one can go from one environment to another just in a short distance. In my opinion the public needs to see that not every slung black rifle or open carrier person is a complete nutjob out to shoot up a school. Notice how he made a point to have just as normal conversation as anyone would out fishing and none of those people flipped out. As firearm enthusiasts I believe it our duty to not only utilize the rights afforded to us without fear of persecution but to educate others in a positive manner. Lord knows we have everything working against us as it is.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#20]
No one wants to mention the child eaten by an alligator where he was fishing years back.  Local knowledge is worth something.

Stop being pussies with open carry.  I open carry fishing here. Been thanked for it by fellow fishermen.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 12:37:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I use the holster pouch by maxpedition. Very fast to open with the single tab pull down and less attention.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed
In today's politically motivated society one should EXPECT to get hassled by doing such things.  There is just not enough common sense to go around.
This isn't deep in the Everglades, or the middle of central Florida.  This is anti gun urban infested south east Florida....
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

True, and yet we allow our officials to make more and more convoluted laws.  The final officer to arrive  was pretty respectful and up to speed. I dont expect every officer to know all the laws but I do take issue with abuse of authority. Its hard to respect the LE population as a whole when a small fraction is willing to wreck your life over an ego and a power trip. That which seem to be fairly prevalant and even covered over by other officers and departments. 2 of 4 officers here were perfectly willing to trump up some charges. I bet they are still on the job without any disciplinary actions taken. Ive had nothing but positive interactions my whole life but it just makes you wonder if you could be ruined if you crossed the wrong officer at the wrong time.  Or on a bigger picture, just how far they will go to violate any constitutional right over an order or perception of laws.
View Quote
I deal with dickholes all day long, so I treat everybody like they are dickholes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I deal with dickholes all day long, so I treat everybody like they are dickholes.
View Quote
I'm sure you've heard the saying... and our Sheriff repeats it often when welcoming new Deputies... We treat people the way they allow us to treat them.

It is VERY satisfying to have Joe. Q. Public come off first like an asshole and then spin it around to where they realize you're not "one of those" type cops... then, they can't seem to apologize enough for starting the encounter off like an ass. Doesn't work all the time, but often enough to satisfy.

Makes me wonder just how many POSITIVE interactions there have been out there that were recorded, but because it didn't suit the recorder's agenda, they were never published.

True story, stopped a car today... observed in the glove box a box of Hornady Critical Defense ammo... I didn't say a damn word... and it was almost as if the driver and passenger, who actually moved the box to get the registration, were waiting on it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm sure you've heard the saying... and our Sheriff repeats it often when welcoming new Deputies... We treat people the way they allow us to treat them.

It is VERY satisfying to have Joe. Q. Public come off first like an asshole and then spin it around to where they realize you're not "one of those" type cops... then, they can't seem to apologize enough for starting the encounter off like an ass. Doesn't work all the time, but often enough to satisfy.

Makes me wonder just how many POSITIVE interactions there have been out there that were recorded, but because it didn't suit the recorder's agenda, they were never published.

True story, stopped a car today... observed in the glove box a box of Hornady Critical Defense ammo... I didn't say a damn word... and it was almost as if the driver and passenger, who actually moved the box to get the registration, were waiting on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was being facetious, and I think you understand that. But you're correct.

Edit: My trainees who have difficulty dealing with people as cops get to watch Andy Griffith training videos. If Andy can't teach you how to talk to people as an LEO, you're broken. You don't have to be a soft touch, but you can talk to them nicely until it's time to not talk nicely.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Born and raised in Miami. I know a bunch of officers from different PD's. Bunch of them are friends. Older ones will usually be nice and friendly. Younger ones are the A***holes that screw it up for the good ones with their ego trips and power trips. They think they have to right to do anything to anyone.
I have had a lot of confrontations with them and just can't stand officers anymore. Mainly because they don't know or care to know the law and god forbid you correct them!
BUT for the video, why look for trouble? This guy CLEARLY was looking to get stopped and go through thus issue. People like that is what makes people hate 2nd amendment.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Ignorantia juris non excusat.

Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
They were not ignorant.  I know it personally but can't say more.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 4:29:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_cool.gif All this is going to accomplish is to get the Law changed and then nobody will be able to open carry anymore, even out in the woods where this law (in my opinion) was designed to be used. Why the hell do you need to push the issue. https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_blackeye.gif Flame on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you don't want for people to open carry, but you still want the law in the books? What's the point of having it, if you don't want for some people to use it?
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So you don't want for people to open carry, but you still want the law in the books? What's the point of having it, if you don't want for some people to use it?
View Quote
The point of having it is to open carry in the woods, anyone can put on a backpack and walk down the side of the road and claim they are "Hiking" or throw up a tent in the neighborhood park and call it camping. I will be here to say I told you so.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those officers know the law, same as the ones in Miami Beach; they're simply engaging in NY/NJ "where do you think you're going with that gun ?" style policing.

Funny thing though; the opposite "I didn't know that open carry in Publix is illegal officer, I'll just throw my shirt over my gun and be on my way" never works.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_cool.gif The point of having it is to open carry in the woods, anyone can put on a backpack and walk down the side of the road and claim they are "Hiking" or throw up a tent in the neighborhood park and call it camping. I will be here to say I told you so.
View Quote

(h)A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.25.html

"The point" of the law is perfectly clear and it doesn't mention "in the woods" any more than the second amendment mentions "deer hunting".

There are gators in the local canals, as well as in the lake right behind my house 40 feet from my back door; "in the woods" means absolutely nothing so far as their presence goes.

Additionally, there's no provision in the law that legalizes open carry while simply "hiking" so your  assertion is totally incorrect on its face.

Yes, one may open carry while engaged in camping in any area where it's  legally permissible to camp, but if it's prohibited to camp in a neighborhood park, it's also illegal to carry openly.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Funny thing though; the opposite "I didn't know that open carry in Publix is illegal officer, I'll just throw my shirt over my gun and be on my way" never works.
View Quote
It doesn't?  I guess I'll just go back and arrest those guys from GA that I warned in the restaurant. I didnt realize that sort of thing never happens.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It doesn't?  I guess I'll just go back and arrest those guys from GA that I warned in the restaurant. I didnt realize that sort of thing never happens.
View Quote
I salute you for your decency.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
No...maybe he was trying to bring out awareness.
I guess ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law unless you are the law!

I’m pro LEO and have many LEO friends. But, learn the laws and don’t be a douch bag because u have a badge on. My lawyer would have a field day on that department
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I've met the guy in the video several times. He's a pretty regular customer here at Lotus Gunworks in Jensen Beach.

He's got very good intentions and is a very mellow dude who is standing up for his rights when a lot of people will not.

And I know all the fishing spots in the video.

PSL is like a mini-New York when it comes to attitudes, people, and police.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#39]
I've met Mike in person. He ain't anti-cop. Just very pro freedom.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've met the guy in the video several times. He's a pretty regular customer here at Lotus Gunworks in Jensen Beach.

He's got very good intentions and is a very mellow dude who is standing up for his rights when a lot of people will not.

And I know all the fishing spots in the video.

PSL is like a mini-New York when it comes to attitudes, people, and police.
View Quote
Thank God the county doesn't take that approach.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Just rather keep my low profile and carry concealed.

It's my little secret.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just rather keep my low profile and carry concealed.

It's my little secret.
View Quote
I'd rather have the option of open or concealed depending on my mood, dress, weather, and because of Constitutional Rights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top