Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2021 10:23:21 AM EDT
So with house prices not dropping anytime soon. I figured we are going to be in our current home for 5+ years. Want to build a pool but with costs of construction going up , is it worth it right now? Or should i wait?

I’m not in a hurry to get it built for this summer so i have plenty of time on my side
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a realtor but all my research says housing prices will continue to rise. If you plan to stay go ahead.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I design & install pools for a living.  Prices aren't going down and sadly, there has already been some major price increases, with more on the horizon.  PVC piping went up 15% last fall and just went up another 10%.  Rebar has tripled since the fall.  Since a year ago, pools have gone up about 15% in cost.  Partially due to demand, but also material cost has gone up.  I have heard concrete is next for a big pricing increase and decking material (travertine) is next up if I had to guess.  I'm building my own pool right now and got caught in a few price increases (PVC & rebar).  I got a factory discount on pool equipment, but it won't be ready until August-September, so I bought my equipment and will use my set on a clients project when it arrives.  Luckily the company I work for is fronting the equipment for me, so while we had to buy it, it didn't come out of my pocket.

If you are going to build a pool, do it.  Fast pool builders are taking 5 months (which puts you in Sept.) and slow ones are at a year.  That is independent of if they are good or not, it depends on size of the company.  Larger pool builders are quoting 8-12 months build times.  Smaller shops are in the 5-6 month range (we are in this group).  We have a long swimming season (May - Oct.), so you can still catch the end of it.  If you are adding a spa or heater, you still have a decent swim season in front of you and can use the spa year round.  

Do your research on companies.  There are some scumbags in the industry and even the mediocre companies struggle with communication/quality control.  The industry is on fire right now.  It is the normal busy season, but production is up 30-40% from last year already and last year was busy.  Even good companies (like the one I work for) struggle with communication right now because the sub-contractors are so over worked.  Everyone in the pool business sub-contracts at least a majority of the process, so it's hard to keep an electrician, plumber, steel, excavation, shotcrete, etc. crew all on time and communicating.  Make sure you ask build times when getting quotes and if the person who is selling you the pool still involved with the project.  Big companies have design/sale staff that once it's sold, never touch the project again (they get paid out at dig).  

As far as cost goes, pools start at $30K (includes 200 square feet of travertine decking, pebble interior, LED color lights) and a spa adds $10-15K to the project.  So a modest (still nice) pool starts in the low $30K range when you add a few upgrades (water features, etc.).  A nice, big pool with all the features can easily get you into the $60-70K range. You can double those numbers if you had a bunch of landscaping to it (shade structures, synthetic lawn, BBQs, etc.).
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#3]
You can come get mine...I don’t want it anymore!

I’ve got a Shasta pool with Hayward pump, and it just nickel and dimes me to death. Now, I’m looking to do an equipment makeover as it’s going on ten plus years and the pvc pipies and levers getting brittle and cracking
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 3:28:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Everyone said the last bubble wouldn’t end.

The main reason this started was due to COVID. People fleeing lock down states. That’s going to come to an end sooner rather than later for multiple reasons. Lock downs are slowly ending and people that can afford to move out are already moved out or doing it soon.

Once the migration is over prices level out.

Then creepy uncle Joe trashes the economy, amongst other things, and there’ll be lots of trouble.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think we need a crystal ball to see where we are heading.

We just pocketed almost a hundred grand from selling our house. Lived there three years. If you have good equity in your house now is the time to sell. Don’t be like the greedy people who held out until the end of the last bubble because they were told, “prices are going to keep going up!!!”
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the reply’s. I’ll be reaching out to you ihon on Monday.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:33:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everyone said the last bubble wouldn’t end.

The main reason this started was due to COVID. People fleeing lock down states. That’s going to come to an end sooner rather than later for multiple reasons. Lock downs are slowly ending and people that can afford to move out are already moved out or doing it soon.

Once the migration is over prices level out.

Then creepy uncle Joe trashes the economy, amongst other things, and there’ll be lots of trouble.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think we need a crystal ball to see where we are heading.

We just pocketed almost a hundred grand from selling our house. Lived there three years. If you have good equity in your house now is the time to sell. Don’t be like the greedy people who held out until the end of the last bubble because they were told, “prices are going to keep going up!!!”
View Quote

Waiting for Arizona to say if you live here you pay income taxes here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top