Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2020 1:14:00 AM EDT
I want/need a police scanner. I've got a couple apps, but KCPD is on a different system. I've found a scanner that can read their encryption codes, but it's well out of my price range (over $500 IIRC) any local guys have any ideas?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If KCPD is encrypted, I don't think there is a legal way to listen in.

If they are trunked, P25 and such, than that is do-able.

Of course, a higher end scanner will be more capable, especially with simulcast.

I picked up a Uniden SDS100 a couple months ago, upgrading from an old radio shack trunk track that I've had for 20+ years. It's been great so far, but it is out of your $ range.

There are models in the $4xx.xxx ish range that will work, and to pick up the newer systems , you're probably going to pony up the money.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
OP,
A membership at radioreference.com allows a direct upload from their databases to many different scanners.(with the proper computer cable of course)

I have an older Grecom PSR-500 scanner that allows digital trunked scanning and P25. It hasn't been made for a decade I think. I like its feature that you can assign 7 different LED colors to light up when a certain programmed frequency(ies) transmit. One color for Sheriff, EMS, Fire, etc. I use it primarily when mobile so I don't have to look at the display.

I'm not an expert in these matters. But as stated above, you're not listening to encrypted comms with out a department issued radio or bootleg codeplugs. And the FCC doesn't take the latter lightly at all.

There was a bust in Stark County, OH where violators were cloning P25 police radios. Heavy fines and jail time IIRC
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:52:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP,
A membership at radioreference.com allows a direct upload from their databases to many different scanners.(with the proper computer cable of course)

I have an older Grecom PSR-500 scanner that allows digital trunked scanning and P25. It hasn't been made for a decade I think. I like its feature that you can assign 7 different LED colors to light up when a certain programmed frequency(ies) transmit. One color for Sheriff, EMS, Fire, etc. I use it primarily when mobile so I don't have to look at the display.

I'm not an expert in these matters. But as stated above, you're not listening to encrypted comms with out a department issued radio or bootleg codeplugs. And the FCC doesn't take the latter lightly at all.

There was a bust in Stark County, OH where violators were cloning P25 police radios. Heavy fines and jail time IIRC
View Quote

The nice thing about some of the higher end scanners, like my sds100, is that the entire radioreference.com database is already programmed in it. You can also update it using the free Uniden Sentinal software. You don't need a membership to RR. But if you want to learn and go further with this hobby, nothing wrong with a membership.

If you don't want to delve into a time consuming learning process, all you need to do is type in your area code, and the range you'd like to listen to, and it will scan everthing "listenable" in your area.

Of course, they are much more custamizable, but can be as simple as I just stated.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:22:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If KCPD is encrypted, I don't think there is a legal way to listen in.

If they are trunked, P25 and such, than that is do-able.

Of course, a higher end scanner will be more capable, especially with simulcast.

I picked up a Uniden SDS100 a couple months ago, upgrading from an old radio shack trunk track that I've had for 20+ years. It's been great so far, but it is out of your $ range.

There are models in the $4xx.xxx ish range that will work, and to pick up the newer systems , you're probably going to pony up the money.
View Quote

Trunked P25 is what they have I believe. The model scanner I saw was a Uniden (Bearcat maybe).
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:26:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OP,

View Quote

Thanks! I'll look onto that.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:46:55 AM EDT
[#6]
IM me a contact number and time/s to call I can direct you you someone local that can help you.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
IM me a contact number and time/s to call I can direct you you someone local that can help you.
View Quote

IM'd. Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#8]
A DYI option that is available these days is to get a couple of Software Defined Radio (SDR) dongles and some freeware software. It took some tinkering with the software, but with a $30 dongle I was able to read trunked repeaters. A purpose built scanner like the others recommended is much easier to setup and use however :).
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]
My SDS100 was on fire last night, listening to KCPD and such handling the riots. I'm 60 miles away from KC.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:35:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A DYI option that is available these days is to get a couple of Software Defined Radio (SDR) dongles and some freeware software. It took some tinkering with the software, but with a $30 dongle I was able to read trunked repeaters. A purpose built scanner like the others recommended is much easier to setup and use however :).
View Quote

I saw something like this the other day. I'm looking at getting a set up.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I saw something like this the other day. I'm looking at getting a set up.
View Quote

I got it working with only a single dongle, but it doesnt have the bandwidth to capture all the frequencies in the trunked system. If I was going to use it exclusively for that, I would get another dongle or two to get full bandwidth.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I got it working with only a single dongle, but it doesnt have the bandwidth to capture all the frequencies in the trunked system. If I was going to use it exclusively for that, I would get another dongle or two to get full bandwidth.
View Quote

The videos I've seen all have 2. One for receiving and the other for encoding I believe.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Some of KCPD was unencrypted (along with the joco tac teams who came to assist and patched in) until yesterday.  All encrypted now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top