Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2018 1:47:46 PM EDT
http://www.wdrb.com/story/39514564/police-arrest-man-officials-believe-was-plotting-mass-shooting-at-ky-business

Officers also located "a modified fully-automatic AR-15 rifle along with other firearms," after searching the truck.
View Quote

https://www.wlky.com/article/springfield-police-arrest-man-they-believe-was-planning-mass-shooting/25238521

While clearing the AR-15, police realized that it had been modified to be fully automatic because the safety was not functioning properly and the trigger reset itself when primed, according to the arrest report.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Aside from pointing a gun at an officer, with that fact set any of us could be "potential mass shooters" if we got pulled over on the way to the range.

Loaded magazines, two rifles, and a book on accurate shooting do not a mass shooter make.

(Yes, he could be, just saying the presumption is not in our favor.)
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aside from pointing a gun at an officer, with that fact set any of us could be "potential mass shooters" if we got pulled over on the way to the range.

Loaded magazines, two rifles, and a book on accurate shooting do not a mass shooter make.

View Quote
I think it was because he was somewhere he was not supposed to be, combined with having such a variety of firearms and only the book on long-range shooting, without being near any range. Maybe.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
if he just would have answered the questions... or better yet, just left the property when asked, he still would have all his guns.
Seems maybe he's one of those who "shouldn't have had" all those guns.  His behavior is pretty mental and bizarre, something was up,
either his plans or just his mind.

Oh well, now the taxpayer gets to pay for his life's needs.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#4]

While clearing the AR-15, police realized that it had been modified to be fully automatic because the safety was not functioning properly and the trigger reset itself when primed, according to the arrest report.
View Quote
What does that even mean? Perhaps they were trying to describe a binary trigger?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What does that even mean? Perhaps they were trying to describe a binary trigger?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Probably.

I would bet $100 that this gun was not FA.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
GrumpyCatGood.jpg
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Probably.

I would bet $100 that this gun was not FA.
View Quote
As this progresses, you will hear less and less about this "full auto" issue and eventually it will just go away completely. They will never admit that it wasn't full auto and they will never admit that they misidentified it as such, but the issue will disappear anyway. I'd bet that this "law enforcement officer" could not tell you how to identify a full auto AR-15. Of course, he will be taking a crash course if it ever becomes an issue.

Here is an excellent example of firearms identification from the Deputy Chief and a Lt. with the LAPD:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u31uzh1hc812cvf/Thompson%20submachine%20gun%20amo...pdf?dl=0
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Officers having difficulty identifying a weapon?

Doesn’t surprise me, hell they have a hard time telling a phone, PS controller, wallet, etc from a gun let alone if a gun has been “modified”.

But then again expecting LEO to be firearm experts because they carry one is a little like expecting office people to be IT experts cause they use Facebook.

On a side note after reading the officers description of the encounter I can believe this idiot is still breathing.  How he managed to get arrested instead of dead is a fucking Christmas miracle.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Doesn’t surprise me, hell they have a hard time telling a phone, PS controller, wallet, etc from a gun let alone if a gun has been “modified”.

But then again expecting LEO to be firearm experts because they carry one is a little like expecting office people to be IT experts cause they use Facebook.

On a side note after reading the officers description of the encounter I can believe this idiot is still breathing.  How he managed to get arrested instead of dead is a fucking Christmas miracle.
View Quote
I never said that their comment "surprised" me. In my experience, the worse people to ask for information about guns is police and gun store clerks. I agree that it is asking a lot for LEO's to be firearms experts and I don't expect them to be. My question is why do they pretend to be just that and why do they choose to comment on topics that they know nothing about? That is a practice that erodes what little confidence remains in the competence of our law enforcement community. I don't know many people that claim to be IT experts, but barely have the expertise to manage a Facebook account. I also agree that this gentleman is very lucky to be alive. Not many people survive an incident where they have pointed a gun at police.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Precrime?
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I never said that their comment "surprised" me. In my experience, the worse people to ask for information about guns is police and gun store clerks. I agree that it is asking a lot for LEO's to be firearms experts and I don't expect them to be. My question is why do they pretend to be just that and why do they choose to comment on topics that they know nothing about? That is a practice that erodes what little confidence remains in the competence of our law enforcement community. I don't know many people that claim to be IT experts, but barely have the expertise to manage a Facebook account. I also agree that this gentleman is very lucky to be alive. Not many people survive an incident where they have pointed a gun at police.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lucky is putting it mildly. This guy should buy a powerball ticket.

This guy pointes a gun directly at an officer that the officer then wrestled away only to end up struggling again with him as he tries to go for another gun in his waist line. Only after that struggle ended did they discover that he had an ankle holster as well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Precrime?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Precrime?
No they determined that he could have been post crime. Assaulting an officer then labeled as possible mass shooter. This guy isn’t getting a bad break he is getting off lucky.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top