Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2021 9:28:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: david05111]
Hey Ladies and Gents-

I'm planning a cross-country road trip of anywhere between 4-8 weeks, leaving some time in mid-late April.

One of the states I'm going to be visiting is Louisiana.

So far, I have the following on the list of things to *potentially* see in your state.  I'm not sure I'll get to all of them, but I want to solicit suggestions about things I should see or avoid.
I'm particularly interested in stuff that people might not know about or remember that has historic significance.  For instance, in Louisiana I'm visiting the site where Bonnie and Clyde were gunned down.  In that case, it's just a small monument on a dirt road, but it's an interesting part of history.

• Bonnie and Clyde shootout location

• Oak Alley Plantation or Oakland Plantation or Whitney Plantation

• Avery Island (Tobasco)

Louisiana is a bit different than other states on my list.  My sister and BIL used to live in New Orleans, so I've been there and done that.  That's why it's not on the list.  I also don't know if I can do any of the plantations or Avery Island because of covid.  The list above is pretty rough and could use some improvement, though I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get to in LA.

Any advice at all is welcome.  Things to see, places to avoid, roads to use and not use, trails for off-roading, camp sites, etc.

One thing I won't be doing is shooting, and I don't really intend on visiting FFLs or anything like that.  I have a limited amount of time for certain states and can't waste that in gun shops.

I plan on sleeping in the back of the car for 2-3 days, then getting a hotel for the night, then going back in the car.  As a result, I'll need recommendations for cool camp sites with views, etc.

Any information about Covid restrictions is also helpful with regard to closures of parks or businesses.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
@KiloBravo

If you're hitting the Bonnie & Clyde Ambush site in mid-April and it's a Saturday, there's a better than average chance I'll be a few miles up the road looking for turkeys. There's a B&C museum in beautiful downtown Gibsland; you'll pass it on the way to the monument. Last Stop Cafe is beside it, where they supposedly grabbed their final meal before their reckoning.

Any place else you were looking at visiting while you're up here in God's Country?
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rttlsnkndaddy:
@KiloBravo

If you're hitting the Bonnie & Clyde Ambush site in mid-April and it's a Saturday, there's a better than average chance I'll be a few miles up the road looking for turkeys. There's a B&C museum in beautiful downtown Gibsland; you'll pass it on the way to the monument. Last Stop Cafe is beside it, where they supposedly grabbed their final meal before their reckoning.

Any place else you were looking at visiting while you're up here in God's Country?
View Quote

Yeah I might check the museum out actually, given that it doesn't seem to be too far away.

I'm not sure how much I'm going to get done in LA, honestly.  I'm really driving through a bunch of states as a gateway to getting to AZ/UT/CO.  Those are states I'll be spending a lot of time in on this trip.  LA might be one I dedicated 2-3 days to max, so I'm not going to get to see much.  I remember watching "The Highwaymen" on Netflix last year and thought it would be really need to see where the Bonnie and Clyde stuff happened.  The rest of the stuff in the state are really bonuses, like maybe one of the plantations.  If you've got another recommendation (not New Orleans), I'm happy to consider just about anything.

I intend to come back and really spend some time in LA in the future.  I really love the food, the people are really nice, and parts of the state are really pretty.  I just don't think I can devote too much time to it on this run through.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
If you’re coming down towards Baton Rouge you could stop by the myrtles plantation. Supposedly one of the most haunted places in America. You can even spend the night there for about $165 bucks. You also have nottaway plantation just south of there. It was a sugarcane plantation with a nice museum, great food, and you can also rent a room there without ghosts. It still has a union cannon ball in a column from when the union army tried using hotshot to burn down most all the plantations on the river. Houmas house is another plantation to see and has food, and a good gift shop.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#4]
UPDATE:

I've postponed the trip until around mid-June.  I currently have covid, which makes a postponement absolutely necessary.  My father also has it and is in the ICU.

I'll touch base again on this when I get through some of this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear this, man; hope your dad recovers quickly.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Fellas, the trip is off.  My father passed away from Covid a few weeks ago.  My spirit for this sort of thing is just smashed, and I have no idea when I'm going to get around to thinking about it again.  

I want to thank everyone I've talked to in this thread and via PM for their recommendations and information on your state.  I hope that maybe one day, I can plan this again and meet up with a few of you along the way.

My best to all of you.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Headed out to clean up a little at my hunting site, and thought about this thread; I'm so sorry to hear of your father's passing.

If you decide to take this back up in the future, post up again; we'll look forward to welcoming you here!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top