Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2021 12:25:48 PM EDT
Hello! I live in Kentucky and often drive out in summer to Jackson, WY for hiking and climbing. I'm interested in places in WY open to the public where I can set up some targets and shoot possibly out to a mile in distance. Here in KY places to shoot longer distances are hard to come by and that drive across southern WY sure looks great shooting land to me. I drive Interstate 80 through Cheyenne, Laramie, Rawlins and Rock Springs typically. Are there any places close to that corridor where it's OK to set up your own targets and shoot and preferably drive (have 4wheel Xterra) from shooting position out to targets? I wouldn't mind driving a few hours off of my normal route.  I'm not really looking for an established range however I would consider if it had distances out to a mile. Thanks if you can help!

Patrick B
Richmond, KY
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A couple of million acres of BLM land in Southern and Central Wyoming that will let you shoot farther than any gun we can own.
View Quote

I just now saw your response. Thanks! I was hoping that was the case. Any advice on picking a spot and making sure that it's OK to shoot there? I guess my question might seem silly but I'm just not use to having so much land available like that. It seems too good to be true. Kentucky is not like that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah, unless there are specific ordinances on the website against it. Just make sure of your backstop, don't shoot towards a neighboring ranch, etc, etc. Try not to do it during hunting season because it's dangerous, and a douche move.

Have fun, man!
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 7:25:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Just as an example I’m currently 10 min east of Casper. I can see for miles in all directions. There are no buildings or signs of civilization. There is a lot of land up here.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just as an example I’m currently 10 min east of Casper. I can see for miles in all directions. There are no buildings or signs of civilization. There is a lot of land up here.
View Quote

Can you recommend a good spot where I could shoot out to a mile and drive from shooting location to target?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Can you recommend a good spot where I could shoot out to a mile and drive from shooting location to target?
View Quote

I go just east of Hudson. Roads aplenty through the wasteland.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I go just east of Hudson. Roads aplenty through the wasteland.
View Quote

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top