Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2018 12:09:58 PM EDT
Scouting out both locations this summer.  All locations have their sketchy places and I want to be aware of them before my trips.  This would include both high crime and where democrats congregate.  Not trying to sound redundant.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I really wouldn't worry about any areas in regards to crime. As far as libs, the consensus is the North End in Boise.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Parts of:
Garden City
Nampa
Caldwell
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 12:32:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Here are some resources for comparing crime stats in different Idaho counties:
https://www.isp.idaho.gov/isp/citizen/crime_stats.html

Boise= Ada County
CDA= Kootenai County
Nampa/Caldwell= Canyon County

The stats are only up through 2016, but you can see patterns for property crimes that may have a day to day effect on you like: burglaries, larceny, motor vehicle thefts, graffiti, fraud.  
Between those three counties, there were only 13 murders in 2016.  I'd guess less than 20-25 statewide.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Compared to other parts of the country I lived in, the Boise and CDA areas are by far the safest I've ever been to.  I still carry even though the threat level is low, but you don't know what you might run into.

I often laugh at people when they mention parts of Nampa and Caldwell being ghetto.  Most people I know here have never seen a real ghetto.  Some folks I know avoid Nampa/Caldwell like the plague.  Yes there is a criminal element there, but it's nothing like what there is other major cities.

Honestly I'd be a bit more concerned about the rural areas of Idaho and I'm not talking about bears.  There seems to be a certain segment of the population in the outlying areas that don't seem to have much respect for the law.  Meth addiction and mental illness per capita is quite high and it wouldn't be much for one of those idiots to try something on a person passing through town.  Then if you're out in the back country you could run into some of those weirdos who seem to gravitate to those areas.  In many cases they are drug dependant, fugitives, anti-government loonies or the type that doesn't fit into society.

I've seen the nasty looks from folks when they see my 1A plates.  They seem to think were all after their guns, take away religon, make their kids gay and vote Democrat.  When in all reality we're just gassing up the car in able to get away from their nasty inbred and drug ridden enclave.  I don't mean to paint my fellow Idahoans in a bad light but it seems I always run into casting rejects from Deliverance when I pass through these back country towns.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Compared to other parts of the country I lived in, the Boise and CDA areas are by far the safest I've ever been to.  I still carry even though the threat level is low, but you don't know what you might run into.

I often laugh at people when they mention parts of Nampa and Caldwell being ghetto.  Most people I know here have never seen a real ghetto.  Some folks I know avoid Nampa/Caldwell like the plague.  Yes there is a criminal element there, but it's nothing like what there is other major cities.

Honestly I'd be a bit more concerned about the rural areas of Idaho and I'm not talking about bears.  There seems to be a certain segment of the population in the outlying areas that don't seem to have much respect for the law.  Meth addiction and mental illness per capita is quite high and it wouldn't be much for one of those idiots to try something on a person passing through town.  Then if you're out in the back country you could run into some of those weirdos who seem to gravitate to those areas.  In many cases they are drug dependant, fugitives, anti-government loonies or the type that doesn't fit into society.

I've seen the nasty looks from folks when they see my 1A plates.  They seem to think were all after their guns, take away religon, make their kids gay and vote Democrat.  When in all reality we're just gassing up the car in able to get away from their nasty inbred and drug ridden enclave.  I don't mean to paint my fellow Idahoans in a bad light but it seems I always run into casting rejects from Deliverance when I pass through these back country towns.
View Quote
When I was looking for move here people kept telling me I had to live in Boise or Meridian, how those were the best places and how Caldwell/Nampa were horrible high crime gang infested areas so I was really surprised when my Mom came up here to go camping and bought a home in Nampa!

I brought my wife and kids up to visit her and started looking around Boise and Meridian.. no thanks. I've lived in the stucco strip mall, Best Buy, Bed Bath and Beyond Olive Garden on every corner place before, also the traffic down Eagle rd is bad! I liked parts of Boise but for what I wanted to spend I couldn't the the house I wanted there. I actually fell in love with Nampa and Caldwell and decided to buy a home here.

Those that say how dangerous it is don't have any idea what they are talking about. It's all relative, yeah there's more crime than Meridian, but it's not Stockton, it's not Oakland, it's not Chicago or any of the other places I've been where it's legitimately dangerous. I'll add in we have a fantastic PD here in Nampa, great people

I admit, when I see a 1A plate I wonder.. is this somebody that's trying to make Idaho California?
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#6]
In my reply, I said "Parts of" in Bold lettering.

Like any city, there are bad areas that take hold in certain sections.

DefensorFortis is correct.  The "bad" parts around here are nothing like in Los Angeles where I came from.  We also had the meth heads and other types of folks in the high desert where I frequented in CA.  We ran into more than a few organized cook labs, along with folks that just didn't want us around.  Unfortunately, being a white guy in parts of LA County (both desert and city), is frowned upon by many of the current residents.

If you are open to living just East of the railroad tracks, North of 10th, West of I-84 and South of Centennial Way, in Caldwell, then kudos to you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I was in McDonalds in CDA and they said have a good day instead of have a great day.  That’s the worst I’ve seen up here.  
But let me clarify I am a conservative, liberals might get treated differently.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was in McDonalds in CDA and they said have a good day instead of have a great day.  That’s the worst I’ve seen up here.  
But let me clarify I am a conservative, liberals might get treated differently.
View Quote
I'm drinking my coffee and still waking up.  I had to reread your post and then I got it.  Thats funny, or maybe I'm still asleep.

But yes, the folks in CDA are very nice.  From what I saw up there they are very patient with tourists.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Please, man...  Two people getting into a fight at a downtown bar makes the local news...
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Scouting out both locations this summer.  All locations have their sketchy places and I want to be aware of them before my trips.  This would include both high crime and where democrats congregate.  Not trying to sound redundant.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote
I took the trip to both Boise and CDA and was very impressed with both locations.  Now I have to decide which location I want to re-locate to!  Hard decision.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I took the trip to both Boise and CDA and was very impressed with both locations.  Now I have to decide which location I want to re-locate to!  Hard decision.
View Quote
Not Boise, we're full.  Meridian has new developments and so does Kuna.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Didn't you move to Idaho a year ago from CA?  Already playing the "we're full" card?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Didn't you move to Idaho a year ago from CA?  Already playing the "we're full" card?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, but that is funny.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:41:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been here longer than that and Boise is full.  That is very different from saying that Idaho is full.

EDIT:  Sorry, I'm very bad at knowing if someone is joking or serious.  If you're joking, then yes, that is quite funny.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unless you bring guns. We can find room
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 12:56:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Actually, the State-Veterans intersection is undergoing some major expansion.  Maybe things won't be so bad for at least another couple of years.

Glennwood is still a disaster in the late afternoon, though.

EDIT:  All of State Street needs to just be widened to three lanes in each direction now.  Let's just get it over with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top