Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2021 12:57:10 PM EDT
I'm very familiar with being able to shoot on public land. However, being new to the area and new parents, we didn't get out to explore the area as much as I would have liked this summer. My wife loves shooting and hasn't shot in 2 ish years due to getting pregnant, etc. Can anyone point me in the direction of a couple areas? We are on the west side of town, so anything towards Kila would be a plus. Feel free to PM me if you are willing to share but don't want to post publicly. I'm 90% sure we'll join Bigfork Gun Club, but it's a haul and I think we need to attend a meeting first anyway.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of shooting?
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of shooting?
View Quote

50-100 yards at the longest. Somewhere I can setup my steel for pistol. Possibly sight in a rifle (least important). Mostly want to go test the .22LR AR I just assembled for my son , and shoot pistol with the wife.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a range on state trust land about 12-13 miles south of Smith Lake on Brown's Meadow Rd. Literally right on the side of the road.

Pretty informal there and you can bring and set up targets easily in the 50-100yd range. You need to purchase a "state land recreational use permit" for $10 either here or at the local FWP office in Kalispell.

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There's a range on state trust land about 12-13 miles south of Smith Lake on Brown's Meadow Rd. Literally right on the side of the road.

Pretty informal there and you can bring and set up targets easily in the 50-100yd range. You need to purchase a "state land recreational use permit" for $10 either here or at the local FWP office in Kalispell.

View Quote

Good to know, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s been a while since I’ve used it, but there was a Kelly humped logging road about 6 miles up Patrick Ck Rd that was commonly used for shooting.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Go up toward Tally Lake, you’ll reach a point where there’s a road on the left and kind of a half-arsed Y. That’s Mountain Meadow Rd, IIRC. Not far up that road there’s a spot where you can get 200 meters if you work it right, or less if you use a big sand pile as a backstop instead of the mountain.

I haven’t been out there for a couple years so maybe it’s been bought by rich Clownifornians by now, IDK.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think you can get that pass anywhere you can buy hunting and fishing licenses. I got mine at Snappy’s.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think you can get that pass anywhere you can buy hunting and fishing licenses. I got mine at Snappy’s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea, but that makes sense. I got mine online. I think it's good March 1-Feb 28th of the following year. You can probably get it just about anywhere but the website directs you to your local FWP office if you want to get it in person.

Curiously, the recreational permit for state trust land for an individual/family is issued by FWP but the commerical use/logging/mineral/other permits are issued by the DNRC. I'd love to get some firewood there, but I'm pretty sure you have to bid on the permits, sometimes competitively.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought our hunting and fishing licenses included that fee already?
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought our hunting and fishing licenses included that fee already?
View Quote

No those are just for taking the King’s Deer and Fish. There’s a separate fee that must be surrendered to the King if you want to use the King’s land.

The King has a million ways to harvest coin from you, and just as many to trip you up and harvest even more coin in fines.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top