Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2019 8:46:41 AM EDT
Any suggestions on where to hike within about an hours drive of Cheyenne?

Not really looking for over night.  1-4 hour day hikes are more what I 'm looking for.

Thanks for all suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 3:08:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Curt Gowdy State Park is about halfway between Cheyenne and Laramie.  I always liked the area around the Upper North Crow Reservoir.
Curt Gowdy

Vedauwoo is also an interesting place West of Cheyenne.  The site shows rock climbing in detail but there is plenty of hiking around Vedauwoo
Vedauwoo

There is a small chunk of the Medicine Bow National Forest just East of Laramie (about 45 minutes to the West of Cheyenne on I-80).  Take I-80 out of Cheyenne heading W/B then take the Sherman Pass (Lincoln Memorial) exit onto Happy Jack Road.  Take Happy Jack back toward Cheyenne.  Take any of the dirt roads off of Happy Jack in the forest to find some hiking.  Here's a map that should give you some places to explore.
USFS Happy Jack Pole Mountain

I grew up in Cheyenne and went to college in Laramie.  This was my playground as an outdoorsy teen.

Be safe.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 12:38:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#3]
check out the hidden falls hike trail in curt gowdy. awesome little hike
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
check out the hidden falls hike trail in curt gowdy. awesome little hike
View Quote
Yep, nice little hike. My son and his girlfriend do that one with the dogs pretty often during the summer. Wife and I have also done it, not hard at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top