Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2022 2:45:47 PM EDT
I recently moved to Pitkin County and went on the Sheriff's Dept website to get the application for my CHP, but there's a big red banner that they are not accepting new applications due to Covid but they "may" reconsider this policy on Feb 1st. Isn't that illegal/unconstitutional? (Save your Aspen jokes).
https://pitkincounty.com/177/Concealed-Handgun-Permit

I found a news article that Gov. Polis issued guidance in 2020 to all Sherrif's offices that they couldn't stop issuing permits due to Covid, yet here we are. https://www.koaa.com/news/news5-investigates/el-paso-sheriff-not-following-governors-guidance-for-issuing-temporary-concealed-carry-permits

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently moved to Pitkin County and went on the Sheriff's Dept website to get the application for my CHP, but there's a big red banner that they are not accepting new applications due to Covid but they "may" reconsider this policy on Feb 1st. Isn't that illegal/unconstitutional? (Save your Aspen jokes).
https://pitkincounty.com/177/Concealed-Handgun-Permit

I found a news article that Gov. Polis issued guidance in 2020 to all Sherrif's offices that they couldn't stop issuing permits due to Covid, yet here we are. https://www.koaa.com/news/news5-investigates/el-paso-sheriff-not-following-governors-guidance-for-issuing-temporary-concealed-carry-permits

Suggestions?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds illegal to me, but your complaints will probably fall on deaf ears in Aspen.  

I guess you'll have to keep your pistol in the glove compartment in your Gulfstream.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you go to the SO in person? Many SOs around the state have administrative staff working from home and they may not even be there to process anything
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 4:57:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I think they did that for a while during the first surge. I know some people there, I'll see if anyone can tell me what's up.

Maybe try open carrying around town for a few weeks until they get tired of all the "Man with a gun" calls and issue you a permit.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Resolution on this?
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 3:46:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Resolution on this?
View Quote

None yet. Spoke to a very pleasant lady at the SO who apologized for the temporary pause. It was issued on Jan 1 due to the surge of Omicron that ripped through town around Christmas/New Years and they ceased all in-office activity. Can't get fingerprinted if no one is there to print you. I do have sympathy for public health crises, which is this, despite what you might think if you hang out too long in "that" forum, so for now, I'm just patiently waiting.

They are going to "revisit" the pause on Feb 1. If they open applications back up, no harm, no foul. If they elect to continue refusing new application after Feb 1, I'll look into some other options.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

None yet. Spoke to a very pleasant lady at the SO who apologized for the temporary pause. It was issued on Jan 1 due to the surge of Omicron that ripped through town around Christmas/New Years and they ceased all in-office activity. Can't get fingerprinted if no one is there to print you. I do have sympathy for public health crises, which is this, despite what you might think if you hang out too long in "that" forum, so for now, I'm just patiently waiting.

They are going to "revisit" the pause on Feb 1. If they open applications back up, no harm, no foul. If they elect to continue refusing new application after Feb 1, I'll look into some other options.
View Quote
just open carry.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#8]
any updates?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
any updates?
View Quote

Looks like the re-thought the "pause".
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
any updates?
View Quote

Oops, sorry for not updating. Haven't been on Arf much in the past couple weeks!

As of Feb 1, they resumed accepting CHP applications. I was able to show up and get printed. Just waiting on CBI and the Feds at this point. Not expecting any issues from here on out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 3:13:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Glad to hear - sorry, forgot to check with my contact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top