Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2020 3:16:23 PM EDT
I have some hand guns that I want to give to my son who lives in North Carolina.

If I transport them personally next time I visit and have them transferred to him using a NC FFL, will the transfer paperwork be sufficient to have the guns removed from my NY permit?

If it matters, I am in Monroe county.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
If your son doesn’t have a Ccw he will need a pistol coupon for each pistol you want to transfer at the ffl  in NC .. a max of 5 are given out  over 5 years..  Ccw no limit
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
A receipt from the NC FFL saying they take possession should be fine.

In Chenango County I have had pistols removed without any paper work. I just tell them they have been shipped out of state. You are allowed to ship a pistol yourself as long as it is next day delivery, so technically there wouldn’t be any paperwork from a dealer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In Chenango County I have had pistols removed without any paper work. I just tell them they have been shipped out of state. You are allowed to ship a pistol yourself as long as it is next day delivery, so technically there wouldn’t be any paperwork from a dealer.
View Quote
My experience was just the opposite of yours.  I once sold a S&W 669 to an FFL in PA.  When I brought the receipt to the pistol permit clerk to have the pistol removed from my permit, I was told it’s against the law to transfer ownership of a pistol in NY to any other state without permission from the county judge beforehand.  I went through with the amendment and a few days later got a letter from the judge telling me I had to submit a letter stating the details of the transfer, acknowledging I didn’t know I had to have permission beforehand and  if I did it again, I would forfeit my permit.  If I didn’t send the letter within 30 days, I would loose my permit.  I have no idea if this is county specific rule or state wide.  This was in Chenango County around 2013
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My experience was just the opposite of yours.  I once sold a S&W 669 to an FFL in PA.  When I brought the receipt to the pistol permit clerk to have the pistol removed from my permit, I was told it’s against the law to transfer ownership of a pistol in NY to any other state without permission from the county judge beforehand.  I went through with the amendment and a few days later got a letter from the judge telling me I had to submit a letter stating the details of the transfer, acknowledging I didn’t know I had to have permission beforehand and  if I did it again, I would forfeit my permit.  If I didn’t send the letter within 30 days, I would loose my permit.  I have no idea if this is county specific rule or state wide.  This was in Chenango County around 2013
View Quote
Sounds like a lawsuit in the making... NY does not own your guns.... What if you move out of state? Do you have get permission from the judge too?
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a ridiculous requirement and that Judge is an idiot. You're perfectly within your rights to buy and sell your lawful property. I'm surprised that noone has ran against him with that as a campaign issue
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:36:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:04:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I sold a handgun out of state once and had to go through a N.Y. pistol permit FFL to get it off my permit
View Quote
For paper trail purposes that's always the better option
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:02:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If your son doesn’t have a Ccw he will need a pistol coupon for each pistol you want to transfer at the ffl  in NC .. a max of 5 are given out  over 5 years..  Ccw no limit
View Quote
He just took his class yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I sold a handgun out of state once and had to go through a N.Y. pistol permit FFL to get it off my permit
View Quote
Do you mean you had to have the NY dealer ship it for you?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's one of the reasons the system is so fucked up here.

The counties are basically free to make up whatever stupid rules they want. It should be codified and consistent across the state....it's a state permit.

Basically the judge can just make up the rules as they go, and if you get a new judge, you get new rules.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The counties are basically free to make up whatever stupid rules they want. It should be codified and consistent across the state....it's a state permit.

Basically the judge can just make up the rules as they go, and if you get a new judge, you get new rules.
View Quote
If it was codified and consistent across the state, we would all be living under NYC pistol permit rules.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If it was codified and consistent across the state, we would all be living under NYC pistol permit rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or it would all be like Cortland and Wayne county. Unrestricted only and "shall issue".

These arbitrary restrictions based on county are underpants on the head retarded.

Here's a fun one. I have a friend in a neighboring county that can only get "restricted". I'm sure with a big enough wallet and the right lawyer they could get it changed, but they by default only issue restricted.

My county only issues unrestricted unless you ask for something different (who the hell would).

I can go visit him, while carrying, go out and about, while carrying, and hang out in his county all day long without violating the limitations of my permit.

He can't even take his gun out of the house and walk around with me unless he is on the way to go shooting or hunting, and he's limited by that in the entire state. All because their judge doesn't think it's okay.

That makes zero sense, the judge should interpret and enforce the law, not make up their own rules.

They know it too, because if you are caught violating the restrictions on your permit, you can not be charged with anything, the worst they can do is revoke your permit for violating it's restrictions. There is no law on the books that justifies those restrictions, but the judge makes them, so you have to abide.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Or it would all be like Cortland and Wayne county. Unrestricted only and "shall issue".

These arbitrary restrictions based on county are underpants on the head retarded.

Here's a fun one. I have a friend in a neighboring county that can only get "restricted". I'm sure with a big enough wallet and the right lawyer they could get it changed, but they by default only issue restricted.

My county only issues unrestricted unless you ask for something different (who the hell would).

I can go visit him, while carrying, go out and about, while carrying, and hang out in his county all day long without violating the limitations of my permit.

He can't even take his gun out of the house and walk around with me unless he is on the way to go shooting or hunting, and he's limited by that in the entire state. All because their judge doesn't think it's okay.

That makes zero sense, the judge should interpret and enforce the law, not make up their own rules.

They know it too, because if you are caught violating the restrictions on your permit, you can not be charged with anything, the worst they can do is revoke your permit for violating it's restrictions. There is no law on the books that justifies those restrictions, but the judge makes them, so you have to abide.
View Quote
I know it’s crazy.

I originally got my permit in Otsego County, and it’s as you said, basically shall issue and unrestricted for everyone. Hell, I even got my permit and was carrying for five months before the county got around to having me sit in on their “safety” class.

I later moved to Saratoga County briefly where I grew up, and then to Schenectady County. I retained my Otsego permit. I checked with the Otsego County office and they said no problem, just give us your new address in your new county.

So there I am, living in the county I grew up in, and most of my friends and family members who still lived there all had restricted permits and I could carry pretty much anywhere. Saratoga County for many years simply didn’t issue unrestricted permits. Not sure what world that makes sense in. It was similar in Schenectady County, but they at least did issue unrestricted permits but there were a lot of hoops to jump through.

I am back in Otsego County now.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know it’s crazy.

I originally got my permit in Otsego County, and it’s as you said, basically shall issue and unrestricted for everyone. Hell, I even got my permit and was carrying for five months before the county got around to having me sit in on their “safety” class.

I later moved to Saratoga County briefly where I grew up, and then to Schenectady County. I retained my Otsego permit. I checked with the Otsego County office and they said no problem, just give us your new address in your new county.

So there I am, living in the county I grew up in, and most of my friends and family members who still lived there all had restricted permits and I could carry pretty much anywhere. Saratoga County for many years simply didn’t issue unrestricted permits. Not sure what world that makes sense in. It was similar in Schenectady County, but they at least did issue unrestricted permits but there were a lot of hoops to jump through.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know it’s crazy.

I have a friend in Rennselar County, and it's restricted only and apparently a pain right in the ass for the whole process. He hasn't done it yet because of the hassle.

I think also he doesn't know enough people in that county to use a references, so he would have to ask the issuing authority if he could use people from neighboring counties.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Outstanding...

About month and half max he will get it.. after he fills out the paperwork and gets finger printed.

Quoted:

He just took his class yesterday.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote
Were you told this was necessary, or just being extra cautious?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes
It will make it a lot easier for you if you have paperwork showing a local FFL took possession of the firearms.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Serious question:  What if you simply fail to remove guns that you no longer own / posses from your license?

As a side note, I've always had mine removed (only sold a couple) but have been curious about this.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Be careful what you wish for.  I fear that if county discretion were ever done away with, we would all be reduced to the lowest common denominator, AKA NYC!
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Serious question:  What if you simply fail to remove guns that you no longer own / posses from your license?

As a side note, I've always had mine removed (only sold a couple) but have been curious about this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know a guy that never had any removed once they were added, even after he sold them, he had like 8 permits to fit it all.

I can't see why it would matter if there was ever a dispute about ownership, because the county keeps the most recent transaction records.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I heard about Nassau Effing with someone when they transported a handgun to FL, legally sold it. They showed paperwork detailing this. They were harassed by the county and ultimately they were found right that you can properly sell anything that you own in a manner that is legal.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Like most pistol permit questions "who knows" I would think if you just sold pistols off and never reported it they would revoke your permit if they caught you. Counties make lots of money off transfers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like most pistol permit questions "who knows" I would think if you just sold pistols off and never reported it they would revoke your permit if they caught you. Counties make lots of money off transfers
I wonder how many they do in a given week?

Usually when I go in there is maybe one other guy, usually no one though.

At 3 bucks each time it seems like they probably aren't even making clerical costs back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top