Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2022 4:10:13 PM EDT
I am a long time carry permit holder, but have a question.

If I am carrying, do I have to have my pistol permit paperwork with me?

Would photos on my phone suffice?

Anyone know?
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Anymore I just carry the top card (plastic) and if it becomes necessary they can either call the Clerk's Office, verify through the NYSP (yea I know) or wait until I can retrieve the additional cards.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting question.  Oftentimes I leave me wallet home if I'm simply going to the gym.  I keep a photocopy of my drivers license in my car just in case I get pulled over.  Not sure if it would suffice but it's better than nothing.

Similarly, I don't bring my wallet if I'm going for a walk on the trails near my house.  But I do carry a gun.  Not sure how much trouble I could get in.  I should probably keep a picture on my phone just like OP suggests.  Again, better than nothing I suppose.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
You should at least have the actual card or old school paper permit with you, even if you don't carry the supplemental cards or pages they give you once your collection grows beyond what the card can hold.
I would think that you'd want to be able to prove that you're a good guy with as minimal amount of hassle as possible, if there came a time where you needed to have some police interaction.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I am carrying, do I have to have my pistol permit paperwork with me?
View Quote

No, but you will need to have it when you go to the police station to get your gun back.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, but you will need to have it when you go to the police station to get your gun back.
View Quote

Best answer yet!
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a downstate Peace Officer and if you're not carrying your permit chances are good that you will be taking a ride.  I would not venture out without the permit card that has the gun you are carrying on it.  i would not go out armed without my ID.  You might be able to get a way with a photo on your phone if the cop is pro gun and in a good mood.  I personally would not do it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm a downstate Peace Officer and if you're not carrying your permit chances are good that you will be taking a ride.  I would not venture out without the permit card that has the gun you are carrying on it.  i would not go out armed without my ID.  You might be able to get a way with a photo on your phone if the cop is pro gun and in a good mood.  I personally would not do it.
View Quote

My permit is old and almost falling apart. What about a photocopy in my wallet?
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can’t you just pay them $10 for a new one?  

We just got plastic cards finally a couple weeks ago.  When we went to upgrade my brother had his paper one in about 10 pieces and illegible, and apparently had been for years. No issues, I’ve never had to show anyone mine in all the years I’ve had it either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We just got plastic cards finally a couple weeks ago.  When we went to upgrade my brother had his paper one in about 10 pieces and illegible, and apparently had been for years. No issues, I’ve never had to show anyone mine in all the years I’ve had it either.
View Quote

The concern is some counties were reported to be putting restrictions on when converting to the plastic permits hence the hesitation to "upgrade".
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The concern is some counties were reported to be putting restrictions on when converting to the plastic permits hence the hesitation to "upgrade".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn ok yeah I had not heard of that but in that case I would definitely proceed with caution.  

I just last month got a plastic one, before that I used to keep my paper permit (folded in half) in a hard plastic “top loader” for trading cards. Kept it in good shape for the years I had it, and it fit in my wallet ok.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I have photos of all my permits on my phone, but they are there as a backup in the event my wallet gets lost or stolen. I would never carry without the permit as with my luck I’d end up interacting with the most anti-2nd officer out there. I have the benefit of a very close relationship with a couple large PBAs so there are calls that could be made quickly on my behalf to union presidents, but even with those relationships I don’t tempt fate.

Here’s to hoping SCOTUS comes out strongly in our favor in the next couple months. It is bullshit that your RIGHT is treated as a privilege that varies from county to county, judge to judge, and sometimes with the same judge depending on a whim.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#12]
supposed to carry in your wallet at all times having a picture on your phone of front and back is a good idea though .
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which is still pretty crappy.  Yes you probably should carry your permit to cover yourself and avoid unnecessary explanations.  BUT a phone call to the county dispatch by a PO should determine the existence of a valid permit.  

I Would carry the permit myself.  I don’t leave the house without ID 99% of the time, I need my wallet for cash anyhow to fill up a lawn mower gas can or buy a gallon of milk at Stewart’s.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only had my permit out for buying handguns or for the clerks to add to them.  Now they usually just replace a plastic card.  I had a gun show up today at the dealers so I will have to do it again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top