Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2023 7:13:07 PM EDT
The kiddo is about to be done with school for the year,  would like to get him on some pigs.  Anyone have any places they know of that arent $500 a person, lol.   Thanks in advance.  I am in the DFW area,  but dont mind to travel a bit.

Todd
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't heard of anyone around here charging less than $400/person/day in years.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah it has gotten crazy,  the good old days are long gone,  haha
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Expect to pay that much.

I hunt pigs on my land, in essence, for "free" but I don't farm for example. There's no corn fields, or food sources that are consistent.

Alot of the places that are not high fenced, they've got hogs to shoot guaranteed for that cost. Usually includes thermal guns w/ suppressors too.

It ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah dont really want high fence,  I just want to get my son out and hang out,  I know thats how most of them go these days.  Ill just keep my eyes open for some last min deals I guess.  Thank yall for the insight
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah dont really want high fence,  I just want to get my son out and hang out,  I know thats how most of them go these days.  Ill just keep my eyes open for some last min deals I guess.  Thank yall for the insight
View Quote

Of course. I'm not advocating that. I think the reason why it's expensive is a few factors. Since it's typically not high fence, and its wild hogs, they tend to hang around consistent food sources like corn fields or farms where they can easily root up. In additional to a water source. Most guides that do hog hunts have access to land with these features so hogs are almost guaranteed. That's usually on top of them feeding them from feeders  and baiting in addition.

So that's kind of where the big cost comes from. It's like a 90% kill chance, where someone like me would have to bait throughout the year to maybe get hogs. Then, in my once or twice a month maybe outing, I "might" see pigs.

If you were down in Houston I would recommend Angel from Sandy Creek Outfitters, but there's a lot of outfits like his around Texas.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#6]
PM inbound.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Just like deer hunting, in Texas hog hunting pricing is now dictated largely by corporate outing rates.  Many companies will fund hog hunting curated excursions for clients. Sounds ridiculous to actually pay someone to kill hogs on their property if you ask me. Whatever. Some kind of team building thing some think. Prices out everyone else.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I get it.    Should have stayed on my old lease.The 4.5hr drive was killing me though.  Really just wanting to get the kiddo out and about.   I appreciate the replies
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out Independence Ranch in Gonzales, Texas.  I have no firsthand experience with this place but they do have a YouTube channel.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just like deer hunting, in Texas hog hunting pricing is now dictated largely by corporate outing rates.  Many companies will fund hog hunting curated excursions for clients. Sounds ridiculous to actually pay someone to kill hogs on their property if you ask me. Whatever. Some kind of team building thing some think. Prices out everyone else.

View Quote

It does seem like you're paying people to eradicate their wild hog problem...

But there are apparently enough people willing to pay that they can get the kind of money they are asking.

With basically zero non-privately owned land in Texas that hunting is allowed on and 30+ million people living here, it's just the way it is.  There's a lot more demand than there are acres.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It does seem like you're paying people to eradicate their wild hog problem...

But there are apparently enough people willing to pay that they can get the kind of money they are asking.

With basically zero non-privately owned land in Texas that hunting is allowed on and 30+ million people living here, it's just the way it is.  There's a lot more demand than there are acres.
View Quote

800000 acres of Federal land and over 1 million acres of public hunting land.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/

Just a little more than zero.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

800000 acres of Federal land and over 1 million acres of public hunting land.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/

Just a little more than zero.
View Quote

Any of those spots near where people actually live that are worth bothering with?  I've never heard anything positive about the state "public hunting land".  Basically a lot of people disappointed they saw nothing but a lot of other disappointed people.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Any of those spots near where people actually live that are worth bothering with?  I've never heard anything positive about the state "public hunting land".  Basically a lot of people disappointed they saw nothing but a lot of other disappointed people.

View Quote

I'm sorry, I'm confused. First you said there was basically zero acres of public hunting land. Now you are saying it's not conveniently close by and some people said they saw nothing.

Take a look at this map.
https://tpwd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=c9788957300943559f7b49206e8ef153

I don't know where you live but there is some public hunting somewhere by most people. I suspect that you haven't adequately researched this topic. This is not an attack on you. Most Texans just don't know what's near them. As far as disappointing experiences, I'd blame that on most people don't know what they're doing. I guide hunts in the fall and winter. A lot of people are very good at hunting and shooting but a lot show up with gear they've never tried, guns they've never shot, much less sighted in. They all get put on game, but it's up to them to actually make the shot. I suspect many of them try their hand at hunting on their own and aren't very good at it, not because they are dumb, but because they just don't have any experience and no one has ever shown them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Hunt public land around lake Ray Roberts.

Can hunt at night.

$40 to access all public hunting land in TX.

Don’t break your ankle on all the holes they row around in.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#15]
We used to do hog hunts on our place and leases (roughly 1000 acres or close to it) durring the spring/summer to off set costs and help make improvements because the land is in the bottoms and floods damage area or make it difficult to pass.

I think when we did it, it was about $150 per shooter for a weekend (friday night through sunday) and as many pigs as you can get.

But we stopped because its a hassle trying to make time for having someone tend the to hunters. A lot of the time it seemed like baby sitting. Some were complete retards and did some really retarded stuff.
Caught one guy trying to shoot a buck. Luckily he missed. One guy shot a hole through the bottom of his brand new truck.
One guy shot up a well pad that we used as a parking lot when a pig randomly ran out in the middle of the pad, between people and cars. Luckily he didnt hit anything.....people, cars, or well equipment.
Most of the hunters were good people, but quite a few were a huge liability. Unfortunately you don't know until it happens, even if you spend hours talking them over safety and rules and regulations, so we stopped completely.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#16]
That's why there's usually a vetting process. Just like at some shooting range clubs.

Someone who's a liability, should be pretty obvious.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 12:19:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm sorry, I'm confused. First you said there was basically zero acres of public hunting land. Now you are saying it's not conveniently close by and some people said they saw nothing.

Take a look at this map.
https://tpwd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=c9788957300943559f7b49206e8ef153

I don't know where you live but there is some public hunting somewhere by most people. I suspect that you haven't adequately researched this topic. This is not an attack on you. Most Texans just don't know what's near them. As far as disappointing experiences, I'd blame that on most people don't know what they're doing. I guide hunts in the fall and winter. A lot of people are very good at hunting and shooting but a lot show up with gear they've never tried, guns they've never shot, much less sighted in. They all get put on game, but it's up to them to actually make the shot. I suspect many of them try their hand at hunting on their own and aren't very good at it, not because they are dumb, but because they just don't have any experience and no one has ever shown them.
View Quote
There's a bunch of public land and most of it holds pigs. The problem is very little of it allows for the kind of hog hunting most people want to do. Either it's a WMA and you can't night hunt and it's restricted to archery only, at best they allow shotgun. Add in restrictive season dates and it can be hard to find a place that's worth hunting.

I say this as someone who hunts public land all over north TX.

If the op wants to go the public land route, I would recommend LBJ grasslands, Lake Lavon (lots of sign north of 380) or maybe cooper WMA. I haven't tried the Caddo grasslands but there's a bunch of land out between the Ladonia and bois d'arc units.

The best (most consistent) public land hog hunting I've seen was actually at lake grapevine but it's unlikely the OP would be able to get a general permit at this point. I saw pigs almost every time I hunted when I drew the deer permit a few years ago.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I am actually out in Sachse and going to look into Lavon,  thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am actually out in Sachse and going to look into Lavon,  thanks for the heads up.
View Quote
It's easy to get the permit. Just go to the lake office off 78 during the day, fill out the forms and it's free. They closed pig hunting during deer season but it's open the rest of the year, day or night.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Thank you sir
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Why you want to shoot the poor little piggy?  I'll ship you one

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why you want to shoot the poor little piggy?  I'll ship you one

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170199/20230526_182026_jpg-2852619.JPG
View Quote
Can I just come over and pick it up?
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's easy to get the permit. Just go to the lake office off 78 during the day, fill out the forms and it's free. They closed pig hunting during deer season but it's open the rest of the year, day or night.
View Quote

Is it walk in only, or can you drive a UTV to hunt at night?
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Walk in only
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Walk in only
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Walk in only

Thanks brother.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top