Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2020 5:15:26 PM EDT
Western PA - Where do you go for your pierogi fix?  Restaurant, church or fire department fundraiser, or can you make them much better at home?

Down in VA, all I've got is Mrs. Paul's.  Most here have no idea what pierogies even are.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I was born and raised in PA and now live in a Pierogi free zone as well. We don’t even have Mrs Paul’s here. One of my coworkers was also born and raised in western PA and says he orders them once a year from some place called ‘pierogis plus’ to get his fix, you could always give that a try if you get desperate for the real deal.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Only because it is Christmas.....  These are really good.   I can understand the withdrawal.   I make the trip and combine it with a kielbasa run.

Mom and Pops Perogies

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you guys just saved Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Mmmmmmmmm!   Perogies!!!!!

Plain Cheese & Potato, if you don't mind.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#5]
S&D Deli inside the Strip District Pittsburgh

ETA: you can order online and have them shipped to you
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Mmmm. Cottage cheese are the best.

Our church quit making them. Anytime I’m in cranberry, I stop at forgotten taste and load up. Not sure if they have a website to order from.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Always get mine from churches

The best I’ve had for some time was an Orthodox Church in OPs home area
St Vladimir in Ambridge.
They only make them before Easter that I know of, and have sales on Fridays then.
But I don’t work out that way anymore, so haven’t been able to support them for a couple years.

There is a small Ukrainian Orthodox church In Slickville, where My grandparents lived.  They had excellent ones years ago.  But all the babushkas who really knew how to make them are long gone now, too.
I’ve never tried any from the specialty pierogi shops In the Pgh  area.  None convenient to where I live

So other than the shops that will ship them out, look up local Ukrainian/Russian orthodox churches In your area.  Although these churches are gaining others who have bailed from the Roman Catholic Churches - a little.   Many are just dying off as most who belong to them are older.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Our church quit making them. Anytime I’m in cranberry, I stop at forgotten taste and load up. Not sure if they have a website to order from.
View Quote

cottage cheese? you mean farmer's cheese?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They’re called cottage cheese.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

How can your church QUIT making them?  They're SPIRITUAL food!
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old ladies got too old.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Old ladies got too old.
View Quote

I guess young ladies can only microwave them?  
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:47:35 AM EDT
[#13]
We usually keep a couple bags of Mrs.T's in the freezer.

However, my wife is making some tomorrow for Christmas Eve dinner.
She's of Polish descent so she makes some with prune filling and some with sauerkraut which are damn disgusting imo. Just give me potato and cheese thank you.

I'm not sure if they still  make them but you used to be able to get them homemade at the big red barn on 51 near Perryopolis
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I guess young ladies can only microwave them?  
View Quote

Too lazy to learn, or not hoi polloi  enough, maybe

Also, I have not been to church in A very long time (Roman catholic) but did go to orthodox mass once or twice with my mother
I’d say the average age at mass was 80.
The youngest lady I saw at St Vladimirs for periodic day was maybe in her 40s
No young chickies there
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Didn’t know this place existed. I’ll check it out next time I’m back home to visit my folks!

ETA: Its technically in Wexford.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Didn’t know this place existed. I’ll check it out next time I’m back home to visit my folks!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They all run together down there.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Make your own, not real hard to do and put the filling in you prefer.  I have a couple of these I picked up at Palmer near West Newton.  Says the are out of stock but I'd call them.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Make our own?

Link Posted: 12/25/2020 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Another person I follow on youtube.  She makes some awesome stuff and I tried several that turned out real well.

Helga's  Perogie Recipe
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Western PA - Where do you go for your pierogi fix?  Restaurant, church or fire department fundraiser, or can you make them much better at home?

Down in VA, all I've got is Mrs. Paul's.  Most here have no idea what pierogies even are.

View Quote

Only find Ms. T's in these parts.

Make your own, spend all day in the kitchen to feed a family of 5, no thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top