Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2018 1:05:23 AM EDT
Person kills armed suspect at attempted robbery in Prospect
https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/new-haven/police-respond-to-attempted-armed-robbery-in-prospect/1631132373

PROSPECT, Conn. (WTNH) - Officials were called just before 7:00pm Friday night to 69 Waterbury Road in Prospect.

Two suspects attempted to rob the Route 69 Auto Sales & Service.

The suspects started pistol whipping people inside the store.

A third person inside the store, who lawfully owned a gun, shot and killed one of the suspects.

The second suspect took off from the scene and is still on the loose.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:30:22 AM EDT
[#1]
So which one of you did it?
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I assume (and hope) it was a lawful shoot and the good guy doesn't have to deal with too much bullshit but the this is CT soooo.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So which one of you did it?
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The owner is a friend of mine for over 30 years. Hope everything works out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Slightly more information.

Police identify suspect shot and killed during Prospect armed robbery, assault
https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/new-haven/police-identify-suspect-shot-and-killed-during-prospect-armed-robbery-assault/1634052978

According to officials, on Friday around 6:50 p.m., officials received reports of an armed robbery and assault at Route 69 Auto Sales and Service at 69 Waterbury Road.

Authorities said two masked men armed with handguns entered the business and began to physically assault the employees.

A customer then allegedly drew his legally registered firearm and shot toward the assailants.

The two suspects ran and police provided medical care to those at the scene.

Officers then located one of the assailants, 44-year-old Torrance Battle of Waterbury, suffering from gunshot wounds near the business. He was pronounced deceased by paramedics.

Officials said the second suspect was not located.

The incident remains under investigation.

The criminal case lookup site lists a number of felony convictions for the dead suspect (if it's the right guy, age and name are same):

53a-54a Conspiracy To Commit Murder B Felony
1 count
Offense date: 8/13/2002
Plea: Guilty
Verdict: Guilty
Verdict date: 10/20/2008
Sentenced: 15 Years Jail, Execution Suspended After 10 Years, Probation 3 Years

54-252 Fl To Register-Sexual Violence D Felony
1 count
Offense date: 8/5/2003
Verdict date: 1/6/2004
Sentenced: 6 Months Jail

Overall Sentence Information:
A Probation Review was disposed of on 07/31/2018, probation was continued
Committed to Department of Corrections and Probation Ordered
53a-59(a)(5) Assault 1st Discharge Firearm B Felony
1 count
Offense date: 1/7/2004
Verdict date: 2/16/2007
Sentenced: 20 Years Jail, Execution Suspended After 12 Years, Probation 5 Years

53a-217c Crim Possess Pistol/Revolver D Felony
1 count
Offense date: 1/7/2004
Verdict date: 2/16/2007
Sentenced: 5 Years Jail, Execution Suspended, Probation 5 Years

Edit to add: Several pending cases listed as well.
Activity: Contact Clerk's Office for Further
Hearing Date: 11/18/2003 10:00 AM
53a-117 CRIMINAL MISCHIEF 3RD DEG B Misdemeanor
1 count
Offense date: 8/11/2003
Verdict Finding: Guilty

53a-125a LARCENY 5TH DEG B Misdemeanor
1 count
Offense date: 5/13/2018
Verdict Finding:

53a-181 BREACH OF PEACE 2ND DEG B Misdemeanor
1 count
Offense date: 5/13/2018
Plea: Not Guilty
Verdict Finding:
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#6]
He didn't live a clean lifestyle!  The larceny charges in may this year didn't violate his probation?  Why was he not back in jail?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#7]
When I first heard about it, it crossed my mind that the 2nd suspect that escaped might be psycho enough to
try to come back for the purpose of attempting to obtain revenge of some sort.

I know that sounds foolish but it did cross my mind.
I hope that the 2nd suspect gets caught, but if he already did I haven't heard about it.

And I hope that law enforcement goes the full 9 yards to try to identify the unknown accomplice.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Kind of surprised WTNH is still running with this story. Even more surprised they put in a quote by the owner's lawyer calling the person CCWing a hero.

Suspect killed during armed robbery tied to conspiracy to commit murder of Ray Allen's stepfather
https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/new-haven/police-identify-suspect-shot-and-killed-during-prospect-armed-robbery-assault/1634052978

News 8 is learning new details about a suspect shot and killed during an armed robbery at a Prospect business Friday night.

According to State Police, on Friday just before 7 p.m., officials received reports of an armed robbery and assault at Route 69 Auto Sales and Service at 69 Waterbury Road.

Troopers said two masked men armed with handguns entered the business and began to physically assault the employees.

Ioannis Kaloidis, who is representing the owner of Route 69 Auto Sales and some of the victims, said some employees were tied up in the back of the store with electrical wire while others were pistol whipped or had guns held to their heads.

A unidentified customer then allegedly drew his legally registered firearm and shot toward the suspects.

"He was carrying and he defended himself and quite frankly saved a lot of lives that night," Kaloidis said.  "My clients thought they were going to die and feel extremely grateful for this hero."

The two suspects ran and police provided medical care to those at the scene.  Multiple employees were taken to local hospitals to get stitches and staples.

"There was a lot of blood," Kaloidis said.  "They were banged up pretty good."

44-year-old Torrance Battle of Waterbury, died from a gunshot wound and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Battle has a lengthy criminal history including several convictions for violent crimes.

According to a lawyer familiar with his past cases, Battle had a previous conviction for conspiracy to commit murder in a scheme that tried to kill the stepfather of former UConn star and NBA Hall of Famer Ray Allen.

"These were some of the most serious crimes you could commit," Kaloidis said.  "Sexual assault in the first degree, criminal assault with a firearm, assault first degree and conspiracy to commit murder.  There are not many crimes more serious than what this guy already had on his rap sheet."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top