Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2018 6:59:02 PM EDT
So my 5 years is up in the middle of March. What is the process for renewing now? Just go to Sheriffs office and fill out the form or is their a class or something still like when I originally got it?
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So my 5 years is up in the middle of March. What is the process for renewing now? Just go to Sheriffs office and fill out the form or is their a class or something still like when I originally got it?
View Quote
Just go and fill out form and pay the fee. Must be between 30 days before and up to 30 days after expiration.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 11:00:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just go and fill out form and pay the fee. Must be between 30 days before and up to 30 days after expiration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need to renew mine in April. When you go to the Sheriff's and fill out the form, do they issue the new permit on the spot, or can the Sheriff drag his feet about approving the renewal?

Polk County for me, when I first got my permit here, it took damn near the whole 30 days to get the paperwork approved.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I need to renew mine in April. When you go to the Sheriff's and fill out the form, do they issue the new permit on the spot, or can the Sheriff drag his feet about approving the renewal?

Polk County for me, when I first got my permit here, it took damn near the whole 30 days to get the paperwork approved.
View Quote
They still have 30 days to issue it.  I don't know for sure but I believe that DPS is actually issuing the cards now.  With the new law requiring a standard permit across the state I think the Sheriff's office just forwards the app to DPS and then they mail you a permit.  At least that's what I have heard.  I know the new permits do not have a picture on them.  Polk county has always taken near the whole 30 days to issue.  When I renewed mine I told them I wanted to pay the $25 for a paper copy and not the mandatory extra $5 for a hard card.  That was a struggle.  Hopefully the process is easier now that the sheriffs are not the ones actually issuing them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#5]
From the Polk County Sheriff's website.

The Patrol Division Manages the issuance of Weapons Permits.  The permits will be issued from the county a person resides but will be printed at a central location and mailed.  It will be a standard permit for the entire state of Iowa in the form of a plastic card.  If you apply at Patrol Headquarters and present all documents you will not need to come back to the office upon approval.  If you apply remotely you will need to present documents within 30 days of approval for the permit to be mailed to you.

Effective July 8, 2013, Weapons Permits may be ordered online with the option to pay using a credit / debit card.  Paper applications will no longer be accepted. There is a $4 convenience fee for all credit / debit card orders.  Requests submitted as online application require a visit to the Sheriff’s office once the application has been approved.

Cash payments may be made in person at Patrol Headquarters, 6023 NE 14th Street, Des Moines, Iowa.  Applications filed at the kiosk can be completed in one visit if the all proper documentation is presented at time of application.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
You still have to take an approved PTC course and provide a copy to the Sheriff's office don't you?
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You still have to take an approved PTC course and provide a copy to the Sheriff's office don't you?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

For renewals no training needed.  For new one, yes training is required.

724.9  Firearm training program.
 1.  An applicant shall demonstrate knowledge of firearm safety by any of the following means:
 a.  Completion of any national rifle association handgun safety training course.
 b.  Completion of any handgun safety training course available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, community college, college, private or public institution or organization, or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the national rifle association or the department of public safety or another state’s department of public safety, state police department, or similar certifying body.
 c.  Completion of any handgun safety training course offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of a law enforcement or security enforcement agency approved by the department of public safety.
 d.  Completion of small arms training while serving with the armed forces of the United States as evidenced by any of the following:
 (1)  For personnel released or retired from active duty, possession of an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions.
 (2)  For personnel on active duty or serving in one of the national guard or reserve components of the armed forces of the United States, possession of a certificate of completion of basic training with a service record of successful completion of small arms training and qualification.
 e.  Completion of a law enforcement agency firearms training course that qualifies a peace officer to carry a firearm in the normal course of the peace officer’s duties.
 2.  Evidence of qualification under this section may be documented by any of the following:
 a.  A photocopy of a certificate of completion or any similar document indicating completion of any course or class identified in subsection 1.
 b.  An affidavit from the instructor, school, organization, or group that conducted or taught a course or class identified in subsection 1 attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant.
 c.  A copy of any document indicating participation in any firearms shooting competition.
 3.  An issuing officer shall not condition the issuance of a permit on training requirements that are not specified in or that exceed the requirements of this section.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They still have 30 days to issue it.  I don't know for sure but I believe that DPS is actually issuing the cards now.  With the new law requiring a standard permit across the state I think the Sheriff's office just forwards the app to DPS and then they mail you a permit.  At least that's what I have heard.  I know the new permits do not have a picture on them.  Polk county has always taken near the whole 30 days to issue.  When I renewed mine I told them I wanted to pay the $25 for a paper copy and not the mandatory extra $5 for a hard card.  That was a struggle.  Hopefully the process is easier now that the sheriffs are not the ones actually issuing them.
View Quote
New permits don't have a picture? I renewed very shortly after the new system took effect, mine has a picture. Did they change the format again? Also, pretty sure I was charged an extra $10, not $5-but could be misremembering that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 1:53:08 AM EDT
[#9]
The new statewide permit took effect as of January 1st. Supposed to be July 1, 2017 but they couldn’t get it done in time. If you applied between July and now, I believe they will reissue you a permit with new format at no charge. At least Polk County said they would. Also no sheriff should be charging more than $50 for a new or $25 for a renewal.  That’s what is spelled out in code and now that all permits are a hard card they don’t have an excuse to overcharge anymore. Convenience and credit card fees being an exception to that. But if you go in person and pay cash your permit should cost $50/25.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The new statewide permit took effect as of January 1st. Supposed to be July 1, 2017 but they couldn’t get it done in time. If you applied between July and now, I believe they will reissue you a permit with new format at no charge. At least Polk County said they would. Also no sheriff should be charging more than $50 for a new or $25 for a renewal.  That’s what is spelled out in code and now that all permits are a hard card they don’t have an excuse to overcharge anymore. Convenience and credit card fees being an exception to that. But if you go in person and pay cash your permit should cost $50/25.
View Quote
Well, I learned something. I thought the "new format" was what I got last year when Chickasaw finally started issuing plastic cards. Guess I was wrong.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#11]
There is/was a renewal form for Linn County anyways. Filled it out at home, print it out, walk in, write check, smile for picture done.

Whole process was painless. Card came in the mail a month later. You can keep your receipt with your (now expired) license to be valid, but I went ahead and went down the first day I could to keep things as clean as possible.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Got home from work today, looks like Chickasaw County is automatically sending out the new pictureless permit cards-found an envelope from the sheriff's office with my new permit in it, had been here a while and I didn't know about it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Got mine back from Scott County. Took 11 days from the day I went down and paid for it and filled out the renewal paperwork.  Like others have said, no longer a picture ID, just a card mailed to you from DesMoines.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#14]
We just paid for our new cards last night. Polk Co - I'll update when I get them.

Would have been a renewal but we missed the window
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Still waiting...
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#16]
My Polk County renewal went in on 16 March. According to their website, it hasn’t even been assigned for processing at this point.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My Polk County renewal went in on 16 March. According to their website, it hasn’t even been assigned for processing at this point.
View Quote

That's where I'm at as well. Can't imagine these things take long. There's probably one part-time clerk that shows up on Wednesday afternoons and does 15 before calling it good for the week.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Got notification today that our permits are approved and getting mailed out.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I received my notification last Thursday. Haven’t received it via mail at this point.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I received my notification last Thursday. Haven’t received it via mail at this point.
View Quote
A whole week to mail out?
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A whole week to mail out?
View Quote
Yep, in was in the mailbox today, when I got home from work.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Jeeze. It would take me 20 minutes to drive to their office and pick it up. Would rather do that than sit around waiting for a week. I guess we can't expect efficiency.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Arrived in the mail last night.

March 20th order was processed. April 19th permits received.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Arrived in the mail last night.

March 20th order was processed. April 19th permits received.
View Quote
Wow, it now takes almost 30 days!  I thought it was bad in Black Hawk County when it used to take 10 business days....  
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top