Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2020 10:31:43 AM EDT
My permit expires next week, I’ve sent in all of my paperwork and the required items to get it renewed almost a month ago and I haven’t gotten anything back.

The tracking on the mail, and my payment have been accepted and taken from my account, but I still haven’t gotten my new permit. I can’t get ahold of the SFLU, and I haven’t heard anything.

If my permit expires and I still haven’t gotten my renewal, can I still carry?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If my permit expires and I still haven’t gotten my renewal, can I still carry?
View Quote

Maybe. Maybe not. The statute gives a 90 day grace period that due to Red Ned Lamont's EO's has been temporarily extended to 180 days. The statute states the following; "A state permit to carry a pistol or revolver, issued pursuant to section 29-28, shall be valid for a period of ninety days after the expiration date, ..." While that language appears to indicate a carry permit is still valid (what ever that means) for 90 days or longer due to EO, chances are its subject to the interpretation (if any) of the officer who discovers you with a firearm and an expired pistol permit. If you want a legal answer, consult a lawyer who's knowledgeable about these things. One interpretation is that once expired you cannot purchase or carry on it, rather it simply means that you don't have to go through the entire process for a new permit as long as you submit the renewal paperwork/fee within the statutory 90 day (or EO's 180 day) time frame.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:05:59 AM EDT
[#2]
My understanding is that it is valid for carry, but not for purchase.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That part I wasn’t aware of, but the permit is good for 180 days after it expires.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:08:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS.??
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I've heard this from other people also that they are a month or more out and can't get hold of anybody.  I guess I got lucky during the summer.  Mailed mine out and got it back in 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't bother calling the number on the back of your permit. Nobody ever answers and there's no voicemail option.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:52:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Took about 6 weeks for me to get replaced this summer.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I was able to get through the CSP FAU and spoke to Kristin, who advised they are processing permits now, from 11/4/20 arrivals to the unit.  Mine arrived 11/16 and she felt 2-3 weeks and they will get to my date.  She confirmed you can carry 180 days after your permit expires.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:23:59 AM EDT
[#9]
My Wife called this week to see what's happening with mine and the Girl told her they are two months behind and very short staffed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top