Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 10/6/2018 8:32:40 PM EDT
Permit expires the 30th of this month. Just filled out all the online shit to renew. Let's see how long Polk County takes.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear they are notorious.

I just renewed in Story county and it took ~8 total days to get my new permit in the mail. Our sheriff is anti-gun, but he doesn't sit on the applications. Need to get him replaced.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hear they are notorious.

I just renewed in Story county and it took ~8 total days to get my new permit in the mail. Our sheriff is anti-gun, but he doesn't sit on the applications. Need to get him replaced.
View Quote
When I got my permit her originally 5 years ago, Polk County took the entire time allowed from when I submitted the application, to when they gave it to me. Because I fucked up and didn't do this on the 1st, I have a feeling I might be permitless for a few days after the 30th.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#3]
From our permit thread earlier this year - the timeline for me and my wife's permits: March 20th order was processed. April 19th permits received.

They take the maximum amount of time. Government efficiency at it's finest.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
From our permit thread earlier this year - the timeline for me and my wife's permits: March 20th order was processed. April 19th permits received.

They take the maximum amount of time. Government efficiency at it's finest.
View Quote
That's what I figure is going to happen. Have a 5 day window of no carrying.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I had to get a new permit from them - it only took about 10ish days or so, IIRC.

I was really surprised.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 12:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]
mine only took 9 days!
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#7]
They must have changed it, I tried renewing with 29 days before mine expired sind 30 days was on a sunday. They made me apply for a new one and take the class again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They must have changed it, I tried renewing with 29 days before mine expired sind 30 days was on a sunday. They made me apply for a new one and take the class again.
View Quote
No change, they screwed you.

WEAPONS, §724.1

724.11 Issuance of permit to carry weapons.

"A renewal applicant shall apply within thirty days prior to the expiration of the permit, or within thirty days after the expiration of the permit;"

724.9 Firearm safety training.

"If an applicant applies after expiration of the time periods specified for renewal in section 724.11, firearm safety training shall not be required for a renewal permit under this section."

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/DOCS/ACO/IC/LINC/Chapter.724.pdf
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 12:06:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

WEAPONS, §724.1

"A renewal applicant shall apply within thirty days prior to the expiration of the permit, or within thirty days after the expiration of the permit;"

"If an applicant applies after expiration of the time periods specified for renewal in section 724.11, firearm safety training shall not be required for a renewal permit under this section."

View Quote
I was an idiot and got too busy with life and let my permit expire by a couple months. Will they make me take a damn class that I don’t need again? I am NOT in Polk county.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was an idiot and got too busy with life and let my permit expire by a couple months. Will they make me take a damn class that I don’t need again? I am NOT in Polk county.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WEAPONS, §724.1

Yep. If your permit expired, you are applying for a new permit, so you will have to take another class.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WEAPONS, §724.1

After reading what IAshooters quoted I would say no. But you will have to pay $50 instead of $25.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Delta gunner... that’s kind of what I thought as well. Guess I will be calling my sheriff to verify.

ETA just got off the phone...

What was posted above is CORRECT. No class required anymore, you just have to pay full price again and go through your NICS check again as new application.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Delta gunner... that’s kind of what I thought as well. Guess I will be calling my sheriff to verify.

ETA just got off the phone...

What was posted above is CORRECT. No class required anymore, you just have to pay full price again and go through your NICS check again as new application.
View Quote
I guess I misinterpreted. I knew it was a new application, so I assumed the class was required.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got an email that permits approved and mailing out.

Glad they aren't dragging feet on renewals.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:Yep. If your permit expired, you are applying for a new permit, so you will have to take another class.
View Quote
When/did this change? the 2011 bill allowed 'old' training to be used for a 'new' permit. I did so last year on mine -- I had taken a new course recently, but, since they had my older one on file already and I didn't make the renewal time window, they just use the on-file old training and didn't want the new certificate, to save paperwork.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When/did this change? the 2011 bill allowed 'old' training to be used for a 'new' permit. I did so last year on mine -- I had taken a new course recently, but, since they had my older one on file already and I didn't make the renewal time window, they just use the on-file old training and didn't want the new certificate, to save paperwork.
View Quote
slims_88 is mistaken.
If you have a copy of your old training certificate or dd214 you can use that at any time.  They do not "expire".  No need to take another class if you let your permit expire and apply for a new permit, just give them a copy of the old training certificate.  And don't count on the Sheriff dept to keep a copy, some counties do and some do not.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
slims_88 is mistaken.
If you have a copy of your old training certificate or dd214 you can use that at any time.  They do not "expire".  No need to take another class if you let your permit expire and apply for a new permit, just give them a copy of the old training certificate.  And don't count on the Sheriff dept to keep a copy, some counties do and some do not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

slims_88 is mistaken.
Yep. See my follow up post to Carter. I misinterpreted it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sorry,
missed that follow up.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sorry,
missed that follow up.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry,
missed that follow up.  
No worries.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top