Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2021 5:43:17 AM EDT
Did I hear that right?  Pritzker signed this into law.  Also, every transaction has to be run thru ISP for background check.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#1]
True!  You have to pay FFL to store your transaction with make/serial # for 20 years, so State has registration of all guns sold privately.
Introduces "voluntary" fingerprints for lifetime FOID renewal...Next step will be simple "manditory".
Sets up a board to decide FOID appeals appointed by governor with no standard of review...your appeal could be denied because of how they "feel"
There is a bunch of nasty in this law.
The Illinois State Rifle Association helped write the law and actively worked to pass it.
The ISRA needs new leadership and doesn't speak for gun owners anymore!

Link Posted: 8/3/2021 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The Democrats have pushed through some really terrible legislation.  I cannot believe the ISRA supported any part of it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Democrats have pushed through some really terrible legislation.  I cannot believe the ISRA supported any part of it.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
They were telling Republicans to vote for it.  Their name was mentioned several times by the dimcrats during floor debate.  We've seen the support sheets they were handing out.  A few "republicans" voted for the bill stating they did so because ISRA was for it.

The ISRA has had serious problems for a long time.  We REALLY need them to step up here in IL which is why we haven't been more vocal in the past.  We want them to be strong but, right now, they are a detriment.  Our hope is that they will get a more pro-active board and change of leadership and get rid of a couple of lobbyists.

NRA is a non-event in IL.

With the help of our Senator Bailey, we (Illinoiscarry) had enough voice to at least get the other Senators to drop their sponsorship of the bill.  Without him, we have very little voice against the super majorities in house and senate.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Registering gun owners for over 50 yrs., and now their guns too, so when you let a FOID expire, they will come to your house looking for those guns.
Ironically, we are one of only a couple states that register owners, and because of liberal gun control cities like Chicago, East St. Louis and Rockford, we have a higher number of shootings/murders.  FOID really works well at preventing crime.
I have encouraged several people in the past, who aren't really gun people, to get their FOID anyway (because of the long process), in case the SHTF like last year, and they need to pick up guns/ammo quickly.  If these people have the card, but never used it, I wonder if they let it expire if the State police will come knocking on their doors, looking for non-existent guns just like they supposedly will with people who have their cards revoked temporarily (pending court case), or permanently (2nd A. prohibitive conviction)?

I also wonder how they can bait people into providing fingerprints for the FOID card, (prints which can be used against you until you die in any criminal case anywhere, no matter what they say), and say they will only need to do it once?  And then have essentially different rules & procedures for those who don't submit prints?  

You can't legally charge women one price for an item in a store, and men a different price for the same item.

Our only hope is that we win one of the pending court cases which could invalidate the FOID.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Registering gun owners for over 50 yrs., and now their guns too, so when you let a FOID expire, they will come to your house looking for those guns.
View Quote

That's how they did it in NY. They sent detectives to my house looking for me when my permit expired, I had moved out of state two years earlier.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#8]
ISRA's "Thursday Bulletin" Didn't mention even a hint of their pet gun law being signed into law by Gov. Pizzer.  They haven't mentioned this bill since it became evident they had screwed gun owners in the state.  Like other scandals, they hope the scandal will just go away.  They have to change their leadership and become an asset in this state instead of a huge liability!
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I never would have even thought this possible several years ago, but I am about ready to write a letter to the ISRA and tell them I no longer wish to be a member.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]

I never would have even thought this possible several years ago, but I am about ready to write a letter to the ISRA and tell them I no longer wish to be a member.
View Quote

We won't be renewing until things change...We cannot support an organization with this clueless leadership.  We really need the ISRA but not THIS ISRA!  If you talk to legislators, let them know that ISRA does not represent you!
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We won't be renewing until things change...We cannot support an organization with this clueless leadership.  We really need the ISRA but not THIS ISRA!  If you talk to legislators, let them know that ISRA does not represent you!
View Quote

I haven't been real pleased with the NRA the past few years either, but they are the biggest dog in the fight.  I've been a NRA member since 1968, so I plan on keeping my membership current.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]
NRA in IL isn't much...
They need a change in leadership too.  However, if it weren't for them nationally, we would have no gun rights.  Their support for shooting sports is a good thing too.  While not as enthusiastic about them as we once were, we still strongly support them.

Link Posted: 8/8/2021 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I received an email from the ISRA advising me that my membership is about to expire.  I am going to tell them I would like to cancel my membership.

The people in our gun club are huge supporters of the ISRA.  The next time I see Richard Pearson, I will have a chat with him about the direction the ISRA is going.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Valinda & I have tried to build up the ISRA for years.  We have covered for their major mistakes in the past.  This one is too big to ignore.  We have seen unbelievable blunders.

Just to further illistrate how messed up things are in IL, there is another group that has a part time lobbyist in IL.  The NSSF (National Shooting Sports).  They have hardly any voice but, when their last lobbyist escaped IL, they hired Jay Keller to replace him.  He is the guy that got Springfield Armory and Rock River in trouble with IL gun owners a while back.  We know him and he isn't a gun guy either.  

It is a sad state of affairs!

Link Posted: 8/10/2021 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I am sorry. I am not up to date with this. I did a private sale a few days ago for rifle.  I checked it through ISP and got an approved FOID printout. Am I still okay to transfer it to him today? Also can I sell ammo? I just posted it on EE. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#16]
There are different portions of this bill that kick in at different times.  The private sale registration doesn't happen till Jan 1.

Ammo sales are not addressed in the new law.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 7:22:20 AM EDT
[#17]
The NRA does nothing for gun owners.  The NRA simply exists to buy wayne a new suit every few days.

Can someone post a link to something that shows how the ISRA helped write a gun bill that is detrimental to gun owners?

Tangent, one of my customers submitted paperwork for a new FOID back in July, of 2020.  He has an application number in the system but cannot get any info on when he will receive it.  Calling is futile, sit on hold for hours and no one ever picks up.  Meanwhile, a friend of his submitted back in Feb 2021 and received hers already.

IIRC, ISRA partnered with GOA to file suit against the state to have monies returned to the FOID/CCW fund that legislators thought prudent to move to the General Fund.  ISRA is also suing the state over the FOID debacle
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Can someone post a link to something that shows how the ISRA helped write a gun bill that is detrimental to gun owners?
View Quote

Before this current new law was introduced, Richard's Thursday bulletin proclaimed it was coming and the ISRA helped write it.  They made it sound like it was a great thing.  They were officially "neutral" on it.  However, when we saw that a crap bill it was, we wrote up our objections and sent them to the ISRA lobbyists hoping they would address those issues.  They basically ignored them and came back with "what are your plans for an amendment".  Our plans were (since they helped author the crap bill) for them to fix it.  They ignored it.  After that, they went to republican legislators passing out misleading (or uninformed) facts sheets to them and encouraging them to vote for it.  They had 2 Senators sign on as sponsors.  We (IllinoisCarry) contacted those sponsors and explained what was in the bill and they dropped their sponsorship.  At one point, through the efforts of our Senator Darren Bailey and Senate minority leadership, we were told the sponsor would address our 3 major issues.  All the time, Eddie Sullivan was working the bill trying to get the FFL group to not oppose the private sale registration.  In the end, the sponsor failed to address our issues and was just running the clock out to keep us from attacking the bill which we did.  ISRA stayed neutral till the bill passed and the anti gunners mentioned their support during floor debate in both house and senate.  ISRA hasn't mentioned the bill or now law since that first alert that blew up.
A couple of years ago, they proudly authored a Bumpstock Ban!  We have worked with ISRA for years and had hoped they would step up their game as we need a strong state organization but, they are failed.  They need new leadership.  They do not represent gun owners.

IIRC, ISRA partnered with GOA to file suit against the state to have monies returned to the FOID/CCW fund that legislators thought prudent to move to the General Fund.  ISRA is also suing the state over the FOID debacle
View Quote

Some of the provisions in their new law will weaken the arguments in that case.  

Tangent, one of my customers submitted paperwork for a new FOID back in July, of 2020.  He has an application number in the system but cannot get any info on when he will receive it.  Calling is futile, sit on hold for hours and no one ever picks up
View Quote

The customer should submit a request for administrative hearing:

Sec. 10. Appeal to director; hearing; relief from firearm prohibitions.

1.Whenever an application for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card is denied, whenever the Department fails to act on an application within 30 days of its receipt, or whenever such a Card is revoked or seized as provided for in Section 8 of this Act, the aggrieved party may appeal to the Director of State Police for a hearing upon such denial, revocation or seizure,

You will need to send a letter to the director and request a hearing on why your FOID was not issued within the 30 day time frame prescribed by law. In the letter, give your full legal name, date of birth, FOID application number, and the date you submitted the application for your FOID card.

What usually happens is once the director sees there is no reason to delay the FOID card, they simply process and issue.

If, on the rare occasion you are granted a hearing, it is usually a meeting with an administrative judge appointed by the ISP, you may be able to do that as a teleconference or may need to travel to Springfield. You can have an attorney with you, if you think you need one.

Send this all via a mail service that will provide you with a signed receipt of delivery to:

Director Brendan Kelly
Illinois State Police
801 S. 7th Street
Springfield, IL 62703

Please keep us posted on your progress.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's how they did it in NY. They sent detectives to my house looking for me when my permit expired, I had moved out of state two years earlier.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#21]
So, regarding the thread title, what happens when the ISP decides they can't read the information on a FOID renewal form and immediately and without any due process or attempt to contact the holder, not only reject the form but invalidate your existing still unexpired FOID card?

Will they be sending people to seize your firearms "for safe keeping" after they have arbitrarily and capriciously taken away your right to own firearms?

I ask because it happened to my wife once, they couldn't match/read her birth date on her renewal form with her drivers license (or whatever cross reference data they use) and sent us a letter that her FOID was invalid now and to cut it up (or maybe mail it directly to them, it's been awhile so I can't remember that detail) and straight up apply for a new one.

This is so screwed up on so many levels.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#22]
We don't know the depth of the invasive nature of the new "confiscation force".  Not sure what all will require a forced visit from these folks.  Then, you will be thrown into an appeal process that was changed from (you meet the requirements of the law, you get your FOID) to a board review that is totally appointed by the Governor with no definition of scrutiny so, it can be "how they feel about you"...But, according to the ISRA latest release it is a good thing because one of the members is a public defender!  
This law has a lot of really bad crap in it and will most likely be made even worse once ISP gets its "rules" in place!

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This law has a lot of really bad crap in it and will most likely be made even worse once ISP gets its "rules" in place!

View Quote

JCAR will set the rules, won't they?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top