Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2021 4:07:23 PM EDT
What to do in and around Pegosa Springs? I've got 2 kids  (12 and 14). Where to eat and what to see?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Pagosa

There's good hiking and scenic driving around there.  Durango and Mesa Verde (cliff dwellings) aren't far.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Hot springs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:49:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hot springs.
View Quote

This. You and the kids will have a blast. If you can, stay at the resort. It’s pricey but worth it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Head up to the base of Wolf Creek and hike up to the waterfalls - a very short hike, but pretty drive.

Fishing is great in that area, too.  

Good trails for hiking/biking NW of downtown.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Treasure Falls is beautiful,  Riff Raff Brewery bo both locations, Boss Hoggs, Mee Hmong for Asian, Rosie's Pizza

Rafting prolly starts in May, there are ATV tours in the area. We like driving to Silverton and renting ATV's for a day trip around the Alpine Loop.

Two chick's and a Hippie have great breakfasts , The Lost Cajun is good, too.

Guided fly fishing. the resort with the hot springs is neat. Maybe May or June you can rent floats for the river
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad

Narrow gauge railroad that I think is a better experience than the more well known Durango & Silverton
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Narrow gauge railroad that I think is a better experience than the more well known Durango & Silverton
View Quote

We've done the Durango and it is beautiful, but many people we know say Cumbres & Toltec is much better as you say...going to try and ride it this summer.

My kids and neices and nephews love the Rainbow Gift Shop. Some other good restaurants: Ramones for mexican, Kip's for street tacos, Mountian Pizza & Tap room, the Malt Shoppe

ETA: The best resource for weather in Pagosa Springs:

https://pagosaweather.org/
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We've done the Durango and it is beautiful, but many people we know say Cumbres & Toltec is much better as you say...going to try and ride it this summer.

My kids and neices and nephews love the Rainbow Gift Shop. Some other good restaurants: Ramones for mexican, Kip's for street tacos, Mountian Pizza & Tap room, the Malt Shoppe

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The biggest difference is that the D&S is mostly in the bottom of a canyon while the C&T is going over Cumbres pass, which is the highest pass reached by rail in North America, and has many vistas including of the distant Sangre de Cristo Range and the Great San Dunes National Monument as you come into Antonito.

A train starts from each end and take a stop in the middle. You get off to stretch your legs and to have lunch at a cafeteria type establishment where the food is ok. You can then continue along the route being brought back to your departure point by bus, or swap trains and go back to your starting point by rail.  I recommend doing the full route.  There are some great drop offs, tunnels, gorges and trestles.  They have gondola cars but not the higher end parlor cars that the D&S does.  It is also cheaper.

You also cross the CO/NM border 11 times along the route which is kind of neat.

Fina's Diner in Chama is excellent but only open for breakfast/lunch.

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:37:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Chimney Rock west of Pagosa Springs.
Chacoan Culture (National Park Sites west of Springs)
There's a neat local museum in PG.  Lotsa local things.
There is a free hot springs there but the locals have to show you.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got back. Had a great time. Thank Y'all for all the recommendations, all the ones I tried were spot on.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just got back. Had a great time. Thank Y'all for all the recommendations, all the ones I tried were spot on.
View Quote

Glad ya'll had fun! We were there the week after July 4th.

Post a few pic's!

Sammich maker and I took T-Rex to the Lobo Overlook at Wolf Creek Pass

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top