Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2021 12:20:57 AM EDT
Need some input from y'all in AZ.

How is the Payson area?

Good area to live in?  Crime rate?
Restaurants?

Housing market is sky high but not so much of a concern as it is that way everywhere.

TIA

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:43:00 AM EDT
[#1]
How old are you? Family?

Good place to retire and be “away”. But that also is hard to find with so many people moving there
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#2]
49, wife is 54, (no kids) she has an opportunity with a job there.
That job may also lead to me getting one with another part of her work.
She's from there, grew up in paradise Valley and has several other locations that she could work at.

We're just keeping options open right now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Payson is great

Lots of small town restaurants

No red lobster or Olive Garden places tho.

Mesa has that but is 1.5 hours away.

If I was moving out of the PHX Neto I’d go to Pinetop.

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Wife and I very rarely eat out but when we do we hit local joints here as well.  Can't tell you the last time we ate at a chain place.

Her mom is still in PV so I expect some trips down here and there.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:13:10 AM EDT
[#5]
The weather will be much better than what you have in VA, im sure
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:50:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I am biased but I really like some of the areas around Payson more than Payson itself.. Pine, Strawberry, Tonto Creek, Christopher Creek and some of the other outside of Payson communities.  They are all close enough that you get the benefits of Payson, but less people.

Our family cabin is in the Pine/Strawberry area, so I am biased lol.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I live an hour and a half from Payson (Verde Valley) but have been in/through it many times.  They have a four-season climate with snow in the winter.  Payson is at a crossroads with a lot of traffic going from the Valley to the rim country and White Mountains areas.  That's good because it brings restaurants and shopping but expect traffic and tourists.  I agree that some of the smaller towns in the area are worth a look.  You should visit and spend some time exploring.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
@Leakster
That's definitely in the plans once we move next month.

Alot is going to be based on what location they offer the Mrs.  They may make the choice for us unless the give her an option of locations.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I have never seen a more active traffic enforcement in any part of this state than in Payson. Other than idiot reckless drivers ruining it for the rest of us, Payson is awesome. Like Prescott but without the booming and the idiots that came with the expansions.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#10]
If you like small town living Payson is great.  I have a cabin nearby and I plan to retire there. Drive northeast a bit and you are in awesome pine mountains.  The fishing in the area is kinda meh but lots to hunt and  you are surrounded by public land
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 11:02:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live an hour and a half from Payson (Verde Valley) but have been in/through it many times.  They have a four-season climate with snow in the winter.  Payson is at a crossroads with a lot of traffic going from the Valley to the rim country and White Mountains areas.  That's good because it brings restaurants and shopping but expect traffic and tourists.  I agree that some of the smaller towns in the area are worth a look.  You should visit and spend some time exploring.
View Quote

In summer, the traffic can back up for miles on the 87 north turning on the 260 east on Saturday. Then everyone heads back west on the 260 and the left turn to get to the 87 south is a Schitt show.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 1:43:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I frequently respond to these posts with a rather serious thing people often don’t consider:

If you are older or retired with current or potential future health problems remote places with limited health care infrastructure are not for you.

I am in the Prescott Valley region, and people from Cali or back East are constantly bemoaning the reality smaller towns simply are not going to be able to offer the range of medical resources more available in larger more developed areas.

Even basic primary care is tough to find in the smaller AZ towns
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 3:43:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I frequently respond to these posts with a rather serious thing people often don’t consider:

If you are older or retired with current or potential future health problems remote places with limited health care infrastructure are not for you.

I am in the Prescott Valley region, and people from Cali or back East are constantly bemoaning the reality smaller towns simply are not going to be able to offer the range of medical resources more available in larger more developed areas.

Even basic primary care is tough to find in the smaller AZ towns
View Quote

You are 100% correct.  My father had to be transported down from Payson Hospital to a hospital down here in the valley that had some specialized equipment for some esophagus issues that cropped up on him.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good advice and something we've lived out with both my and my wife's parents.   Mine always talked about moving "to the boonies" but didn't and good thing because my dad had very highly specialized healthcare requirements late in life.   My wife's parents DID move to the sticks and when her dad developed severe health issues it was 3hrs each way to get care.

We're young(ish) healthy and active but my question about Payson and the surrounding areas is on the availability of broadband internet.    I WFH and have for 16 yrs, we also homeschool.   So good non-satellite broadband is a must.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Spaghetti by the bucket
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good advice and something we've lived out with both my and my wife's parents.   Mine always talked about moving "to the boonies" but didn't and good thing because my dad had very highly specialized healthcare requirements late in life.   My wife's parents DID move to the sticks and when her dad developed severe health issues it was 3hrs each way to get care.

We're young(ish) healthy and active but my question about Payson and the surrounding areas is on the availability of broadband internet.    I WFH and have for 16 yrs, we also homeschool.   So good non-satellite broadband is a must.
View Quote

Its good for the most part..

CenturyLink DSL
SuddenLink Cable
Satellite(most flavors)

Our family cabin has the DSL, its slow.. 2-4Mbps down and about .8 up.  You can zoom on it no problem, but not while streaming anything to the TV.  You aint gonna do any large file transfers either.  Reliability is good though.

Cable is waaaay faster, but ive heard reliability is or was an issue.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 2:17:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Family and I stayed at a cabin in heber few months ago. Internet was ok. I liked it better than payson. Its further out but worth it if a drive to anywhere big isnt a deal breaker.

I think we stayed at bison ranch or something like that
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top