Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2022 10:47:37 PM EDT
I have family in western MD. One family member has a revolver that was owned by a spouse, now divorced, and left behind. The spouse that owned the revolver is a vagrant and their whereabouts and whether they are still alive is unknown. The family member with the revolver would like to gift it to their sibling.

They have no history on the revolver at all. Where it came from, registration, etc.

I don't know the laws in MD. Any legal problem with them gifting the revolver to family? Do they need to transfer through an FFL?
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump. Could use some help with this one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Would need to be transferred through an 01FFL and the receiver would need to possess a Marylandistan Handgun Qualification License. If the gun is already in the system with the state, it is likely registered to the missing person and may be more involved.

Without knowing the history of the gun, it makes things more difficult, and may result in it's confiscation. It may have been reported stolen at some point in the past. Some people acquire guns from questionable sources.

Spouses are permitted to sell guns that were legally possessed by their deceased/disabled spouse, but a death certificate/power-of-attorney is required.

My advice would be to contact an FFL that can walk you through the process and verify what documentation you will need. They may also to be able to check the history of the gun in question.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top